Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Big Red

Unhappy Smaller than expected electrical

We purchased our 2010 Loredo 318RL the first of April and have been out about 14 nights. When using the air conditioner if I switch on the 5 lights that are connected to one switch the AC goes off and stays off for a few minutes. I took it back to my dealer and the put a bigger fuse in the system and said that should take care of the problem, it didn't. In researching my trailer on line I noticed that it is supposed to have the Bigger is Better package which comes with a 50 AMP electrical system, mine has a 30 AMP system. I called Keystone and they agree that it should have the 50 AMP system and they have authorized my dealer to fix my camper. Does anyone know what is involved in changing from a 30 AMP system to a 50 AMP system and will that solve my overloading the AC problem? Note: it is not just a 30 AMP cord, my dealer looked it over and confirmed that it has a complete 30 AMP system, what ever that consists of.
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Flyguy

To the best of my knowledge a 50 amp system uses a 220vac source whereas a 30 amp system uses a 110vac source, usually the 50 amp system splits the 220vac source into two 110vac parts using the first half for everything you now have and using the second half to power a second AC roof unit, if your RV has two AC units, then you will have a 50 amp system, also a 50 amp system is used to power such upscale things in an RV such as a washer and a dryer, I don't know how far uptown your RV is so take your pick of all that I have mentioned.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
campingcpl

If you are having problems with your A/C shutting off when you turn some 12v lights on then I would thing you might have more of a problem then just not having a 50amp converter. Your 12v lights would not draw enough power to cause your A/C to lose power. I have a 30amp coverter in my unit and I can run my A/C, TV, Stereo, have lights on and the fridge running off park power and still use the microwave and have never had a problem with anything stop working or triping breakers. Your A/C and Microwave are two of the things that should be on a dedicated circut with nothing else on it. As for changing the system over, it would require changing out the coverter and plug then possibly rewirring part of the trailer.

As per Flyguys respons:

An RV power pedestal 30 amp outlet has a single 120 leg and breaker rated at 30 amps at 120 volts along with a neutral leg and ground.

An RV power pedestal 50 amp outlet has two 120 volt legs that supply current to the RV plus a neutral and ground. Each power leg can supply 120 volts to neutral or the two can supply 240 volts from Leg 1 to Leg 2. The outlet is protected by a double breaker rated at 50 amps on each leg. What that means is there are TWO 50 amp breakers, usually physically connected together, supplying the RV with current. (If you flip the breaker off, both are flipped at the same time)

In an RV wired for 30 amp service all outlets and appliances are connected to the single 30 amp leg. In an RV wired for 50 amp service some outlets and appliances are connected to one leg while other outlets and appliances are connected to the other leg. Manufacturers try to anticipate the power requirements and balance which outlets and appliances are connected to which leg. For example, all the kitchen outlets and appliances might be connected to leg one and the rest would be connected to leg two. RVs with two air conditioners would have one connected to each 120 volt leg.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Flyguy

Very well put Campingcpl and any deeper of an explantion would require a textbook and a willingness to learn!
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
Very well put Campingcpl and any deeper of an explantion would require a textbook and a willingness to learn!
Thanks and yep your right. I know enought to get me into trouble!

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #6
ptodd47

If you can get the 50, then certainly do it...I have the 50 on my fifth wheel and we can run the AC/WasherDryer/hair dryers/4 tvs/microwave and whatever else all together and no breakers trip. Well worth the effort to get it if you can.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
heavyram

I have a Laredo 318RL with the "Bigger is Better Package" and it also has 30 amp power. The main breaker trips when the A/C and either the microwave or water heater is on. The dealer checked it out and has told Keystone it needs to be changed to 50 amp service but Keystone is pushing back at this time. I brought it Keystone's attention that their literature shows 50 amp service as part of the pachage. Waiting for their response.
heavyram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
f350chief

I have a 2010 316RL thta also has the bigger is better package and it has 30amp service. The broshure said it should be 50 amp. I questioned this with the dealer and their reply was the camper was mad in September and the brochure was printed in November. That was the difference. I have pushed back but I have not gotten a reply.
f350chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
chuck&gail

Ok, I'm old and my memory is going, but this sounds familiar. As I recall the problem was the dc control circuit for the A/C was off the same line as the light switches. Moving the A/C control line to a different circuit fixed it.

Try searching in www.rv.net, I think that was where I read about it. If not, try outbackers.com. I'm sure I read of problem and fix in one of those places.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
hsmunoz

another thing that might be going on, is that , when a certain amount of 12v electrical is drawn, the power converter kicks on, and that may draw enough current to load the 120 into a low voltage condition (brown out) which then shuts down your AC unit. In my Alpine if I turn on on set of over head lights, all is quite, but if I turn on a second set, right away I hear the fan of the converter kick on. When I shut off the offending 12V the converter fan turns off. The brown out could be due to the 120V wire gauge as well. what size cord are you using?
hsmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:07 AM   #11
geo

Exclamation Two ACs on one leg

I admit, I'm a little extreme. I got the generator package, then had an Onan 5500 and an Onan Command Center 30 installed. What the dealer found when installing was that Keystone had connected the heat pump/ac, the second AC, and the charger all on the 30 amp leg of the 50 amp service! They switched the second AC to the 20 amp leg and the checked all the other circuits to make sure they were balanced. If you are having problems with an Alpine, all of them are supposed to be 50 amp, I would check this first.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #12
hsmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
I admit, I'm a little extreme. I got the generator package, then had an Onan 5500 and an Onan Command Center 30 installed. What the dealer found when installing was that Keystone had connected the heat pump/ac, the second AC, and the charger all on the 30 amp leg of the 50 amp service! They switched the second AC to the 20 amp leg and the checked all the other circuits to make sure they were balanced. If you are having problems with an Alpine, all of them are supposed to be 50 amp, I would check this first.

Ron
Same here on my 3500. I will fix that when I add my inverter. But I don't think thats the OP's problem. His AC shuts off when his DC starts drawing current.
hsmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
geo

Definitely agree

I definitely agree - this is not the OP's problem. But it might be yours. These threads always have twists and turns. However, the two problems are related in that Keystone either installed the wrong component or connected a component incorrectly.

Like another member asked, "Where's the quality control?"

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote