Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
halfprice

Surge Protectors????

I do alot of camping at full hook up campgrounds. After reading the site about potential problems with inconsistent power I decided I need to get a surge protector.

I want a hard wired inside mount protector. It will have to be installed under the sink area where my power supply is located.

I no longer have the cabinet between the rear chairs. I removed them for room when I switched out the mouse hole power cord to the twist on Marinco set up.

So with those of you that have them which do you think is better and why.

THe two most popular I've seen are the Progressive Industries and TRC surge guard.

OPINIONS Please!!!!

THanks

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
chuck&gail

Sorry, no idea.

Will say we use our Hughes autoformer to correct the low voltage at about 20% of the campgrounds we visit.

Don't have any surge protection in stick house, no troubles in about 50 years.

Don't have surge protection in TT. No troubles in over 100,000 miles so far.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
raytronx

I installed the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

Here's my review and install

Made in the USA, Lifetime Warranty, Digital Readout and Very Well Built.

Ray

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
halfprice

Thanks Ray.

Since I removed my cabinet between the chairs my install won't be as easy as yours.

I think the Progressive unit is a better unit than the Surge Guard. I was hoping some other would post their opinions on pros and cons of each unit.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 03-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Andymon

As a complete noobie to RVing, I can guess that the SSP50 is for 50 amp and the SSP30 is for 30 amp? Would one need both or just one? Do electrical plug ins at rv parks all have the same plug in feature?

Thanks!

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Albert

Ray,

That is a great install. I have been researching this topic for a couple of weeks. I have followed your posts long enough to understand you know what you are talking about. Going to purchase the same thing and install it in the same location.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymon View Post
As a complete noobie to RVing, I can guess that the SSP50 is for 50 amp and the SSP30 is for 30 amp? Would one need both or just one? Do electrical plug ins at rv parks all have the same plug in feature?

Thanks!
That's right , you just need the one that matches what your trailer amperage is.
If you can afforded it I advise to move up to the EMS models Electrical Management System as it is much more than a surge protector. It can sense and protect against too low and too high of voltages also.

LoveYourRV.com
Old 03-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert View Post
Ray,

That is a great install. I have been researching this topic for a couple of weeks. I have followed your posts long enough to understand you know what you are talking about. Going to purchase the same thing and install it in the same location.

Thanks
Thanks so much, glad to help. I think you'll like the unit.

LoveYourRV.com
Old 03-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
geo

When Keystone recalled the ATS on certain generator-prepped models, I decided not to use what Keystone offered as a replacement. After researching the options, I decided on a Surge Guard 40250-RVC. Rather than try to correct for high and low voltages, etc., I decided I wanted a warning about the problem and accept isolation from the problem. I was very happy with the results and protection offered. At a local campground, I found an open neutral problem the owner didn't know about. A couple of months later, same campground, I found another pedestal that had the ground and neutral reversed. That finding prompted the owner to have all the pedestals checked and tested. The previous owner had taken a few short-cuts. As the surge guard is coupled with an ATS, it also protects the power from my Onan.

Here's the post about this surge guard: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5761.

I liked this Surge Guard ATS well enough to have it custom installed in my new fiver.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytronx View Post
That's right , you just need the one that matches what your trailer amperage is.
If you can afforded it I advise to move up to the EMS models Electrical Management System as it is much more than a surge protector. It can sense and protect against too low and too high of voltages also.
I'm most certainly electrically challenged. I did find this portable EMS unit...that would work wouldn't it?
http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In...3646875&sr=1-2

Thanks!

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Old 03-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
raytronx

Quote:
I'm most certainly electrically challenged. I did find this portable EMS unit...that would work wouldn't it?

Thanks!
Yes, should work great Only disadvantage with the portable is possible theft , not that I've heard of it happening but might be worth locking it to the power pedestal when not around.

LoveYourRV.com
Old 03-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
Andymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytronx View Post
Yes, should work great Only disadvantage with the portable is possible theft , not that I've heard of it happening but might be worth locking it to the power pedestal when not around.
Good idea to lock it and thanks for the reply!

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Old 03-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
halfprice

Well I decided on the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C. Got it on amazon.

Should be here in a week.

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 AM   #14
Laredo291OH

Just installed my Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C that I bought from Amazon. Very easy to install, just have one question, does anyone know if the Airxcel air conditioners have a time delay? I went thru all of the info that came with the trailer about it and checked the website, didn't see any reference to a time delay.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #15
raytronx

I know my Airxcell AC system which appears to be a Coleman Mach 3 has time delay already. Not sure if it's built into the AC unit or my Hunter Thermostat or both but I know it's there because I've had instances in the past where I had to wait for the AC to come on after a power outage.

So I left my EMS jumpered so it clicks on in 15 secs.

LoveYourRV.com
Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
halfprice

I did the install today. Pretty easy except for the lack of room. Sorry no pics of the install.

Anyways I removed the power panel, which is located by the entry door. Cut the power romex that was connected to the power panel. Hooked that up to the Progessive unit then ran the new 3 ft section of 10guage I got from Home Depot. Screwed the unit down and snaked the remote cable up the wall. I installed the remote just above the battery/black/gray/water indicater meter.

Plugged in the power cord and everything is working great. Thanks god. I'm not an electrician and it seemed like an easy job. It was.

The only thing I'm not sure of is what time delay should I use, 15 sec or 216 sec.

I thought my Dometic Duo Therm Brisk Air 13500 had a delay but I had the wife trip the breaker while I was in the 5th. Then had her turn it back on. Once the 15 sec passed the ac started up again. SO I assume theres no delay. So I set the unit for the 216 sec delay.

Did I check this correctly or should I check for the selay another way??????

Jerry

2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
Old 05-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
sonic2

Surge Protection

With all the electronics in the RV plus the additional items like a lap top, cell phone, eBook reader, ice maker, TV’s, etc... A low voltage, bad ground or surge could cost hundreds or thousands to replace or repair all the appliances and wiring. I will not plug in without one. Additionally, I have a surge protector on each outlet in the RV. The reason is each time the AC or microwave turn on it sends an internal surge throughout the RV.

I have done the same in my home. Because most items we use have micro processors or some type of electronics in the device, they’re susceptible to damage from electrical impulses.

I purchased a Progressive Industries product and the reasons:
1. Made in U.S.A.
2. Lifetime Warranty
3. Surge Indicator
4. Open Ground
5. High/Low Voltage Protection
6. Time Delay for A/C Compressor
7. 3-Mode Surge Protection
8. Reverse Polarity Protection
9. Open Neutral Protection
10. AC Frequency Protection
11. Accidental 240V Protection

To view a picture of this product and read additional product information click on this link:
www.dogandtrailer.com/gallery/?sa=view;id=1082
Timbren & Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
GMcKenzie

Quote:

Thanks!
I have a portable Surgeguard and if I was doing it again, I would by and wire in the built in unit. It's one less thing to do when setting up and one less worry about something being stolen.

Also I think I would like the remote monitor that you can get with a built in so you can see what the issue is when there is one. I have a voltmeter plugged in in my kitchen but it's not the same.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
raytronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
I have a portable Surgeguard and if I was doing it again, I would by and wire in the built in unit. It's one less thing to do when setting up and one less worry about something being stolen.

Also I think I would like the remote monitor that you can get with a built in so you can see what the issue is when there is one. I have a voltmeter plugged in in my kitchen but it's not the same.
Mine came in handy when the fridge heater element went, just had to glance at the remote display to know it was drawing no current and when I repaired it I could tell it was drawing the right current. Nice to have.

LoveYourRV.com
Old 06-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
Charli

Picked up my Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C this past weekend. Will do the install next week before our first big trip of the summer. Raytronx instructions and the manual seem to be fairly straight forward so hopefully I am up to the challenge. I did the comparison online with various products and it seemed Progressive Industries offered the most protection for the money. I ended up ordering through Amazon and picked it up at a delivery depot just over the border in the US. We are close to the Can/US border and tied in a long weekend shopping trip to Fargo, ND. The price at Amazon.com was $244. and Amazon.ca was over $500. Pretty easy decision.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote