Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
glissa

Fuzion 302 Subwoofer Enclosure "Fix"

Hi Folks - coming into camping season up here in Alberta I have been busy "fixing" things that I think Keystone could have done a way better job on when the built the coach.

My 302 has the subwoofer below the the control panel on your right hand side about knee height when you walk in the main front door. From new I have had the gain turned way down on the amp because the kicker sub sounded awful. So yesterday I decided to pull the sub, and carpeted enclosure/sub box and investigate. Let me tell you, it's no wonder the sub sounded so terrible - the osb wood box keystone installed from factory is an absolute joke! It was stapled together (not screwed), was not sealed - actually I think the box was
built in the dark because none of the pieces lined up, and it was definitely not siliconed. Put it this way - if you had turned this simple box in for a mark in wood working class as a kid, you would have most definitely failed that class miserably!!!

So I went to my local hardware store, purchased a sheet of 3/4" mdf board, a box of 1" #8 wood screws, a tube of silicone, and went to town. I was able to reuse the carpet for the front of the box to maintain the stock look and more or less copied the dimensions of the sock enclosure. Once all screwed up and siliconed I reinstalled and cranked it up and let me tell you - what a difference! That kicker sub has a lot of potential but not with the box they give you from the factory...

If you like nice sound in your RV and want to get more from your stock parts I highly recommend looking into doing this. Thanks for reading - hope this helps some folks!
glissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
MBaustian

Good Idea!

Good idea you had for the sub and I'll have to try that. Not long after I purchased my toyhauler I had a friend of mine put his elbow through the sub since Keystone didn't see fit to put the available grill cover on it. So I bought the replacement speaker and the grill cover on it. That took care of that problem but the sub still sounds like crap.....so I'm going to try your idea.

My power amp blew and had to be replaced under warranty. Keystone sent the power amp to my dealer and I swapped them out. Kudo's for Keystone and Lifestyle RV in Grain Valley, MO for that one.

I have replaced the outdoor speakers with some better Sony marine speakers, but quite frankly I hate using them. The sound inside is terrible with everything vibrating in the cabinets and all the woodwork for that matter. Does anyone have a solution for that???
MBaustian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Escs36

My 301 did not come with a sub so I added a cheap 12" kicker, I think 100 watt RMS. I have the amp turned down so low to avoid the rattle box. I got some foam weather stripping for some components like the fuse panel which rattled terribly. My next solution is to silicone all the corners and try to squeeze it deep into the corners and staples. Unfortunately the true solution would be dissemble and reassemble with MDF and seal every seam. Obviously that is overboard and I think for this situation any thing will help. I plan on doing this shortly but do not have high expectations for the results. I considered building a small cheap enclosure but thought everything would rattle anyways. I chose a free air sub for this application and it is screwed directly into the entertainment center and sealed with the foam weather strip as mentioned above.

2013 Keystone Fuzion 301, Dual A/C's, Fantastic Fan 6600R, Upgraded stereo with an amplifier and subwoofer, Dirt Devil Central Vac, Dewalt pancake compressor, Black and Decker Space Maker Coffee maker, Cabinet above garage entry door, 5# mattress topper 2.5" thick
Escs36 is offline   Reply With Quote