Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
K4BEV

Question Exterior Steps Problem

On our last outing the campsite that I had reserved on-line turned out to be sloped a lot from front to rear enough that the trailer's tongue was right at on the ground to level the trailer from front to back. As an added bonus the side with the doors was low and had to be raised about 4 inches to level the trailer from left to right.
This left the stairs in the back (the ones that we use most) WAY off the ground. Exiting was actually dangerous the first two days until we got kinda used to it and getting in was a stretch

What do you seasoned campers use to overcome this problem?
Is there something you use to make another step (or 2)?
Do you just find another campsite?

We were at Fall Creek Falls (in TN) and most campsites were already occupied or reserved, so moving wasn't really an option.

OTOH - Otherwise a wonderful park and experience....
Old 10-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
mikey98e

We carry a folding step stool to add the extra step. Just make sure it is strong. We bought this one: http://www.dyersonline.com/camco-fol...teel-step.html

-mike
mikey98e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
therink

While some people may not agree, I usually dig small holes on the high side for the wheels to sink into, which makes the trailer easier to level side to side and makes the low side not so low. I always repair my holes before I leave. Been doing it this way for years.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey98e View Post
We carry a folding step stool to add the extra step. Just make sure it is strong. We bought this one: http://www.dyersonline.com/camco-fol...teel-step.html

-mike
We have the same CAMCO step and it serves well. The only "problem" with it is that the folding legs are actually "U" shaped and if you set the step on an uneven surface it can "roll" on you causing it to turn over. So, if you do get one, make certain that it is set up on a level surface and that it is stabile before you trust it.....

We also carry a shovel and if there's more than a "tad" of side to side rise, we dig out the high side tires to help make things a bit more level.

The CAMCO step is the cheapest commercial solution I've seen, but there are steps with individual legs at CW and other places that cost upwards of $75 or more that would eliminate the "roll" effect. So far, we haven't had any big issues with the roll and I've thought about riveting a longer bar across the bottom of the "U" to stop it from turning over. To date, this hasn't been necessary.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
We have the same CAMCO step and it serves well. The only "problem" with it is that the folding legs are actually "U" shaped and if you set the step on an uneven surface it can "roll" on you causing it to turn over. So, if you do get one, make certain that it is set up on a level surface and that it is stabile before you trust it.....

We also carry a shovel and if there's more than a "tad" of side to side rise, we dig out the high side tires to help make things a bit more level.

The CAMCO step is the cheapest commercial solution I've seen, but there are steps with individual legs at CW and other places that cost upwards of $75 or more that would eliminate the "roll" effect. So far, we haven't had any big issues with the roll and I've thought about riveting a longer bar across the bottom of the "U" to stop it from turning over. To date, this hasn't been necessary.
We invested in one of the CW steps and couldn't be happier, it folds flat for when we don't need it and is well tested to 350 pounds every time I use it so it is very sturdy.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #6
pjhansman

We also invested in a set of "Adjustable Leg Platform Steps" from CW. Use them almost every time we set up, so that first step is never an issue.

Somewhat expensive, but very sturdy.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
Terry W.

I made a step out of a 2x8 and covered it with a step cover. For leg i used 4x4 and then put 2x4 on the 4x4 with hinges incase the 4x4 were not quit enough heigth. I chose the 4x4 and 2x8 to get a solid footprint and no rocking.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #8
justlkn

Hey Terry. Can you post a photo of your step? I like that idea.

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
K4BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W. View Post
I made a step out of a 2x8 and covered it with a step cover. For leg i used 4x4 and then put 2x4 on the 4x4 with hinges incase the 4x4 were not quit enough heigth. I chose the 4x4 and 2x8 to get a solid footprint and no rocking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlkn View Post
Hey Terry. Can you post a photo of your step? I like that idea.
Thank you all for the step suggestions!
I'm a DIY kinda guy and Terry's home brew step sounds like what I'm looking for.
I'd appreciate a picture of his step too - Sounds like a winner
Old 10-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
BlindGuyNAR

I had a similar issue with my old TT when I raise the stair side 3-4in. My son had to step to high.

I bought an "add-a-step", but it appears that company is no longer around or changed names.

The closest thing I found to it was this: http://www.redi-step.com/index.htm

My 5er has low enough steps and my son got taller so I don't use it any more.

Mine isn't made to work with curved steps like my new rig has either. The REDI-step looks like it would. It also looks to fold up and mine doesn't.
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Terry W.

OK Not being real computer smart but I did get some pic of steps and other mods in my profile so check there.
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
Pentagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey98e View Post

-mike
Thank you for this idea, we had a similar problem, just to bad that they don't ship to Canada
Pentagon is offline   Reply With Quote