Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
mr.windows1

Fans

We are now in our second season in our 3750fl, this is kind of stupid but halway into this year we have noticed when we run our fantastic vent fans they smell musty and like a dirt smell, I do have the max air hinged covers on all three fans and have went up on the roof and inspected all of them and nothing is up there I cleaned them all out with Clorox scented wipes and they still give of that dirt like smell,we did not notice this our first season any ideas would be appreciated
2011 Ford F-350 Lariat SRW
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
mr.windows1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Are you running your vent fans on exhaust and smelling the "dirt smell"??? or are you running them to pull air into the RV when you notice the smell?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
mr.windows1

I believe they are exhausting we have never changed anything we noticed first in the bath but I checked the others and they all smell the same
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
Old 07-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If they are on exhaust and the domes are open, any smell you have inside the RV will be originating from wherever the air is being pulled into the RV. If you have no windows open, it may be entering the coach from a basement area, through the underbelly or "who knows from where."

When the fan is pulling air OUT of the RV, you will have no smell originating from within the fan housing (or vent cover) that comes back into the RV. You could, if you have no windows open and flush the toilet, pull air down the black tank roof vent and up through the open toilet valve. That, of course would smell like black tank contents, sort of "earthy" but probably not like "dirt".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
SAABDOCTOR

Hi the floor vent in the bathroom is right under the fantastic vent fan. I noticed that it would pull air out of the duct if the windows were closed. White malamute fur came out of the floor vent that is how i figured out the source of some oder when the fan was on. took the floor vent out and vacuumed them out. then i sprayed fabrise down the vents and no more oder. good luck on your issue.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
mr.windows1

Sabbdoctor, after what you said that would seem to be the culprit each one of the fans has a floor register underneath or in the near proximity,I will try that this weekend and report back, I too have 2 dogs running around and we very rarely have the windows open,the DW says its either to cold run the furnace or its too hot run the AC! I can't win LOL
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel
Reese Pro Series Slider
Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
oldfamer

If you are running the fans on exhaust you have to have some window open. Without one open you are putting the camper under a negative pressure. So every time you flush the toilet you draw some air from the black tank or from the under sink vent. When I run my fans I run one on exhaust and the other one on intake. Just my 2 cents.
oldfamer is offline   Reply With Quote