Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
kingji

Wink Slicking up your power cord

Ever had trouble pulling our your power cord from it's compartment? I found something that really helps and prevents it from notting up. Pull it all the way out, wipe all the dirt and grime off with a rag and spray it down with silicone spray and let it dry off of the ground. It really slicks it up. .
jimmy
kingji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I'm glad our current RV has the detachable 50 amp cord with the marinco connector. I positively HATED wrestling any RV cord (50 or 30) into a mousehole.

Now I just disconnect it from the RV and toss it in the back of the truck.

If I had an RV with a mousehole and attached cord, I would convert it to a detachable.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
I'm glad our current RV has the detachable 50 amp cord with the marinco connector. I positively HATED wrestling any RV cord (50 or 30) into a mousehole.

If I had an RV with a mousehole and attached cord, I would convert it to a detachable.
X2 There were several times where I swear that there was a gremlin living inside that mousehole who took great delight in tieing a knot in the power cord making it impossible for me to pull it out. Had to go inside, remove the panel, undo the knot, replace the panel........

Get a Marinco connector.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The first mod I did on our Springdale was to convert the mousehole to a Marinco detachable power cord. The kit on Amazon.com was about $60. Not only does it eliminate tangled cords in little holes, but it also freed up a cabinet between the two chairs. I ordered a cabinet door from Keystone for about $30. Now we have an additional 2.5 or 3 cu ft of storage in that space. It's really convenient for quick access to big bulky "inside stuff" like water purifiers, coffee pots, etc.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
kingji

Power Cord

I almost did the Morinco conversion but held off for a while. Since I started dry lubing the cord it's not near as frustrating. Haven't had it tie itself in a not either.. so far. One of my concerns would be taking off on a trip and forgetting to load the cord from storage
jimmy
kingji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

I can understand your concern but once you have the detachable cord, you pack it once and after each use put it back wherever you store it - in the truck, in the RV storage compartment, etc. For us, we just keep it stashed away in the the 5th wheel storage compartment along with lawn chairs and other "stuff".

If "slicking up" your power cord works for you then there doesn't seem like there would be any reason to change.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Little Guy

Thumbs up Slicking up the power cord

King! Thanks for the great tip on slicking up the power cord. I used a silicone spray and let it dry...now I don't have to wrestle that cord out of the mouse hole, it slides out smooth. Great advice...thanks for sharing. Gotta love this forum!
2012 Laredo 294RK TT "Larry"
'09 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab, 6.0L vortec (gas)
*Wishin' for a diesel*
Equal-I-Zer sway control hitch

Life is good!
Little Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
gepaine

Have had both types of power cord. I prefer the "mouse hole" type because it doesn't take up space in my basement, it's easier to just pull it out and hook it up, and I've never had a problem with it getting knotted up. However, I think I will use the silicon spray to make it a bit easier to slide in and out.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
Greysquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The first mod I did on our Springdale was to convert the mousehole to a Marinco detachable power cord. The kit on Amazon.com was about $60. Not only does it eliminate tangled cords in little holes, but it also freed up a cabinet between the two chairs. I ordered a cabinet door from Keystone for about $30. Now we have an additional 2.5 or 3 cu ft of storage in that space. It's really convenient for quick access to big bulky "inside stuff" like water purifiers, coffee pots, etc.
Kit sounded good until I went on Amazon and it is now $114 and change. Think I will live with what I have for a while.
Greysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

WOW !!!! That's a heck of a price increase in the last 2.5 years. I did some quick checking and the kit is available on EBay for $84. That's not as cheap as I got my kit, but it's a bit cheaper than on Amazon.com.

You might even find it cheaper at some other online dealers. Do a google search for 30ARVKIT that's the Marinco part number for the conversion.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
wgb1

A good tip but that I'll try if I ever need to, but I have never had a problem with my cord. It slips out easily and slides back in very easy even when the weather is cold.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
Mighty Ming

Awesome tip never had a problem but will slick mine up ASAP to avoid one down the road. Tks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
CampDestinations.com

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll try that this season. It doesn't matter how careful I am, I often get that thing knotted up. I've had to take the mousehole cover off several times to have room to reach in and untangle things. I had started carrying a 30' extension so that when it gets knotted I can just use that and leave the main line in the hole.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
hankpage
Site Team

Bigger is Better!

Replacing the mouse hole with a larger electrical hatch gives much easier access to cord, no need to store it elsewhere and room for plug adapters too.

I just noticed .. I must have had a few beers too many when I installed the label.
You can see more photos in my thread " Good bye Mouse Hole "
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
UsTwo

Power cord VS mouse hole...

I got a bit of a shock this last weekend when we were loading up to go camping. The wife was tying a small cord around the power cord knuckle, and had it tied off to the license plate frame.. Her reason was she didn't want to lose the power cord down in the mouse hole. Ok i understand that.. but i am NOT going to cut a larger hole in the camper and the cheapest 30ARVKIT conversion kit i could find on e-bay, amazon or any other place was $82.oo and change..i have the cord slicked up also.. SO with that,, anyone else come up with a way to keep your power cord from taking a dive down the mouse hole..just curious..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
theeyres

Thanks for the tip. I will try it. I've had both the detachable cords and the mousehole and prefer the mouse hole so will try the silcone spray to make things easier.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:20 AM   #17
AnnaK

What a great tip! Thank you very much.

Our cord has wrapped itself around an elbow in the hot water tank and has to be manually untangled. I'll definitely try the silicone spray.
AnnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 AM   #18
AnnaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsTwo View Post
SO with that,, anyone else come up with a way to keep your power cord from taking a dive down the mouse hole..just curious..

Losing the plug inside the storage compartment was an issue with our previous trailer. We wrapped a piece of duct tape around the cord directly behind the plug, leaving a 6" tail. This was a piece 12" long and stuck to itself to leave that tail, can you picture it?

This tail we let stick out the mouse hole door when we locked it. That way, the plug couldn't disappear inside the compartment and nobody had to reach in and feel around for it . . . ugh!
AnnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #19
Bob Landry

The kit may or may not cover the hole. I bought the inlt and the end for the cord separately and made a mounting plate from a piece of scrap Starboard. A piece of a $3 cutting board from WalMart would have done the same thing.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote