Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
yeabuddy

screws in walls

I'm going to screw a TP holder on an inside wall that separates the bathroom and the bathroom sink (the bathroom sink is right outside the bathroom door) Anyway... I'm afraid I'll puncture something behind the wall and wanted to get your thoughts.
The wall is thick enough so the screw won't go through to the other side. Then isn't the plumbing typically routed underneath the trailer to the tanks and electrical up through the ceiling? I called Keystone for blueprints or schematics and gave them my story but they said they don't have anything that will show me what's between the walls (I find that hard to believe). Anyway again... check out the picture. I'm going to screw it in about 2 feet off the ground on that wall between the sink and bathroom on the bathroom side.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Bob Landry

Wiring that is run to specific things like outlets or switches, wiring is typically run through the ceilings and down the walls. Drill slow and you will be able to tell when the bit is through the wall. Stop when you fell it go through and use short screws to mount your fixtures and you will be fine.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Some of the newer Command products from 3M are designed to hold some very heavy loads - 25 lbs or more. Given that most of the interior walls in our RV's are 1/4" luan or similar material, screws and even anchors may not always be your best choice. I'd find my self a TP holder with a rectangular wooden back or make up one to fasten the TP holder to and then use the Command strips to fasten the whole assembly to the wall. Something like this would work well:

Another option would be to locate the 2x2 wall studs where you want to mount the holder. You might get lucky and find one close enough to allow you to hang the holder with one more screws into something really solid. That would significantly widen your choice of decor.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Dhuhn

I saw on YouTube a video where a guy used pop rivets to attach fixtures to the wall, wonder if it would be strong enough?

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
yeabuddy

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeabuddy View Post
I'm going to screw a TP holder on an inside wall that separates the bathroom and the bathroom sink (the bathroom sink is right outside the bathroom door) Anyway... I'm afraid I'll puncture something behind the wall and wanted to get your thoughts.
The wall is thick enough so the screw won't go through to the other side. Then isn't the plumbing typically routed underneath the trailer to the tanks and electrical up through the ceiling? I called Keystone for blueprints or schematics and gave them my story but they said they don't have anything that will show me what's between the walls (I find that hard to believe). Anyway again... check out the picture. I'm going to screw it in about 2 feet off the ground on that wall between the sink and bathroom on the bathroom side.

Well... The walls appeared to be hallow through my xray vision so I tested my luck this weekend. I found an inexpensive TP holder like this http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=275&uid=4309955430 at Wally World. I used the template that came with it to mark the points for the screws, held the metal ends to the wall and screwed straight in. I used the 1/2 inch screws that came with it, I didn't drill any pilot holes and just went for it. Now I know what some of you may be thinking but the wall was flexible within a half inch or so when I pushed on it so with that I figured there's no possible way anything "puncturable" was behind it. I was right... each end screwed in nice and snug. Not sure what kind of screws typically come with these types of things but the threads were deep and I didn't over tighten them so I believe this will hold for a very long time, forever probably.