Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
CorporateOffRoader

90 degree turn coming out of garage

This is my first large TT with double axles and I have a question for the seasoned veterans on this forum. I maneuver my 311 BHS in and out of my shed with my compact utility tractor, the distance from the garage door to the far side of the driveway is nearly exactly the length of the trailer. For the last year, I have been turning the trailer 90 degrees as soon as I clear the garage door.

The question I have, is currently I have a gravel driveway and the twisting of the trailer doesn't really bother me as the rear tires just scrub around in the gravel. However, this spring I plan on paving the driveway and my concern is the stress put on the rear axle hubs when I am turning the trailer that sharp.

Am I asking for trouble or can the axles handle that amount of scrub? What options do I have if this is bad for the trailer? Has anyone put the rear tires up on dollies to make that sharp a turn? I can't really drag it into the yard since the ground falls away from the driveway once you cross it. I was thinking maybe I would just wet the blacktop down and let the tires slide.

Thoughts?
CorporateOffRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

My thought is that there made to do the tight turns, I have many times with boats, it looks bad to see tires angleing in/out slideing at times but, thats what happens. I never seen or heard of tires popping off rims etc. I suppose there is more tire wear from doing that than not. The RV tires do not last long anyway.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

On a hot sunny day, I would be more concerned with damaging the blacktop than the trailer or tires. Maybe spread a bag of play sand where the tires scrub but still may force it into the pavement. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
mhs4771

Just remember, once you get it in the garage, pull it straight out a bit and then back in to relieve the stress put on the tires doing that 90 degree turn. You don't want to leave the tires sitting with that tension on them.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
chuck&gail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Just remember, once you get it in the garage, pull it straight out a bit and then back in to relieve the stress put on the tires doing that 90 degree turn. You don't want to leave the tires sitting with that tension on them.
Yes, or tires deform so my neighbor said.

When putting our TT away, I need to jackknife about 89 degrees on concrete. Been doing it for years with no TT trouble. It does take some cussing to get it parked.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Escs36

I had a racing buddy with a three axle and he would break out the garden hose and soak the area he was about to maneuver his trailer in. I see no issues with the tight turns. It certainly does not hurt to decrease friction if possible.

2013 Keystone Fuzion 301, Dual A/C's, Fantastic Fan 6600R, Upgraded stereo with an amplifier and subwoofer, Dirt Devil Central Vac, Dewalt pancake compressor, Black and Decker Space Maker Coffee maker, Cabinet above garage entry door, 5# mattress topper 2.5" thick
Escs36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

HI When I back in to my driveway off the street I have to do the 90 degree turn.my driveway is paved. just don't look at the tires when you make the turn they are all sorts of controtted. just go slow and you will be ok. and like others have said straightin it out and the back it back in to get the stress of the side walls.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
CorporateOffRoader

Thanks everyone, watching the tires contort made me think I was going to break them off
2003 Honda CRF150F
2002 Yamaha TTR125L
2011 Motovox Mini-bike

I can get all but the 230 in the back of the truck
CorporateOffRoader is offline   Reply With Quote