Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
ssonb

Pre flight list

What do some of you use for a checklist to smooth out the process of set up and takedown. I know it will be different for the types of RVs but I suffer from a case of "sometimers" cause sometimes I cannot remember what the wife said to do next!!
ssonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

HI THERE I did make a check list it is a small pocket size note book. it is set up in four sections outside walk around starting at the right front of the camper and ending at the drivers door. then i have one for the inside i start at the front and work my way to the back make sure everything is in it's place and locked. then i have the set up list outside first then inside since every unit is different so when you do this just take your time as you write things down and be very detailed that way if your not feeling well and the dw has to do it it leaves nothing to speculation. i have used mine for years just like the on in an airplane. it will save you many $$$'s when you drive off knowing the antena is down the water sewer and power cords are put away and the hitch is ocked in place good luck.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
SteveC7010

After 40+ years of RV'ing and nearly 55 years of camping, I kind of have the checklist imbedded in my head. DW usually distracts or diverts me when setting up or knocking down, but I have one iron clad rule that I never, ever bend or break:

When I think everything is done, I do a full walk-about of the trailer and the truck (plus the Jeep and the boat if we have them with us) checking EVERYTHING! This is a lot more important when packing up so that nothing gets broken or damaged when we pull away, but still very useful when setting up.

But, if you're new to trailering, critically important stuff for basic setup:

FIRST, level the trailer side to side by driving one set of wheels or the other up onto boards (or whatever) while still hooked up to the tow vehicle.

SECOND, chock the trailer wheels.

THIRD, drop the trailer and level front to rear with the tongue jack or landing gear.

FOURTH & FIFTH: Run out the slides and set your stabilizer jacks. (I lump these together, because there's a lot of debate of which should be done first. I personally don't think there's a right or wrong here.)

SIXTH: Hook up your shoreline, water line, and waste lines.

Everything after that is personal preference.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
ssonb

Speaking of a level, I do not thik that my unit has a built in level (25 RKS) what system or type do you use?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Pawpod

I use a small carpenters level inside. I try and get the stove level as I hate cooking on an uneven stove.
Pawpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssonb View Post
Speaking of a level, I do not thik that my unit has a built in level (25 RKS) what system or type do you use?
I have a small "torpedo" level that's about 8" long. It works pretty well, but I also carry a 24" carpenters level, too. Add one of those little round ones for the floor of the freezer, too. Mostly I just use the torpedo in the doorway of the fiver, but other trailers may need different measuring points. You have to play with it a bit to make it work for you.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

I think Steves information is real good. I will add that have a system and stick to it. Like always start at same place, end at same place. When someone distracks you while checking things, start over again. That was the way we trained. We even did a patrol vehicle check each day called a "walk around" before moving the vehicle. I have a RV walk around in my head not on paper, yet.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:41 AM   #8
crash

No real check list to speak of .I take care of everything outside and the wife takes care of the inside set up and knock down ,just works for us ,and dont get in any hurry or you will for sure mess something up.Dont worry be Happy
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
ssonb

Thanks everyone....I will have the wife start a check list when we have the walkaround before we pick up the 5W. As for a level the stove Idea sounds good but I will figger out sumtin...I guess using one of those tri pod mounted spinning laser levels might upset the other campers if I use it after dark!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
crash

We are lucky on the leveling part we have the auto level(Level-up system)wouldnt trade it for anything
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote