Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
buckhntr

Water Heater Bypass

Hello everyone glad to be a part of outback family. Love the new trailer we just purchased 312bh me my wife and two kids they love the bunk area I think i'm more excited than them but anyway just wondering if anyone can tell me how to bypass the hotwater heater i located the back of the heater just wondering if the valve thats located on the one hose ( its the only valve there) is the one and do i just turn it up? appreciate any feedback anyone can give. Thanx.
buckhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
rrohrer

Is that a passport model? On my passport their is only one valve for bypassing. Under the bunk bed in the rear. It turns upward redirecting the water from the intake to the heater to another tube that connects the fluid to the outflow tube from the heater.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
buckhntr

buckhntr

I have the outback 312bh and the heater is under the sink just as i walk in the door I think you answered my question I just have to turn that valve upward to redirect the water from going into my tank.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhntr View Post
Hello everyone glad to be a part of outback family. Love the new trailer we just purchased 312bh me my wife and two kids they love the bunk area I think i'm more excited than them but anyway just wondering if anyone can tell me how to bypass the hotwater heater i located the back of the heater just wondering if the valve thats located on the one hose ( its the only valve there) is the one and do i just turn it up? appreciate any feedback anyone can give. Thanx.
Yes, only one valve and is ¼ turn only. Be sure to release pressure (open hot faucet) and turn off electric w/h before draining tank.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
SteveC7010

One small point for future readers of this thread....

The single valve water heater bypass is pretty much universally standard on all RV's these days. I do not recall anyone here on the Keystone forum with a new or fairly new (5-7 years) unit that has anything but the single valve bypass.
  • So this is not a brand or model specific item.
  • Water heater bypasses are located on the back side of the water heater.
  • The back side of the water heater is always accessible. It may take some peeking and poking to find that access, but it is there.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Bob Landry

I've read posts about the check valve on the HW side going bad and shutting off the hot water to the sinks. I took the insides out of the check valve, effectively turning it into a pipe nipple, and replaced the "T" fitting in that line with a three way manual valve.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I've read posts about the check valve on the HW side going bad and shutting off the hot water to the sinks. I took the insides out of the check valve, effectively turning it into a pipe nipple, and replaced the "T" fitting in that line with a three way manual valve.
That was the standard bypass for many, many years. My '99 Sunline came from the factory with a two-valve bypass which was trouble free for 11 years.

Truth to tell, if my check valve fails, I'll probably do the same as you, Bob. The back of our water heater is real easy to access under the kitchen sink and there is plenty of room to get in there and work on it if needed.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
buckhntr

Thanks to everyone for the info i'm still learning how to work my way around this forum sight , how to post in the proper areas etc. and basically just comunicate properly but thanks to all for the feedback gonna go out and play and try to pump rv antifreeze through the lines. i'll let you all know how i make out.