Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Kenworth

New to the Keystone Family

Hello, I am a new Cougar 293 SAB owner. We just picked it up last weekend, and just got back from our maiden voyage...So far we love it, other than a few minor glitches. My 2 main concerns are the power awning, flopping around in not so windy conditions, and the noise of the fresh water pump. Thanks for allowing me to join, and I'm sure I will be around quite a bit...-Joshua
Kenworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
2011 keystone

Hi and welcome to the group.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Kenworth -
There are a few things you can do to quieten your water pump.....
1) Replace a couple of the short, rigid, plastic lines, with flexible, SS line.
2) Make sure that any water lines close to the pump and that pass through wooden partitions or cupboards, do not touch the sides of the cutouts. Try placing a piece of foam or other suitable material around the line where it passes through these openings.
3) You might want to remount your water pump to something that will help dampen the vibration. It is probably screwed directly into the floor which doesn't help with the noise. You can remount the pump on a piece of plywood with rubber feet, cork or other vibration-dampening material. There are different ways of doing this remounting.

Have you tried using tie-downs for your awning to help reduce the flapping? If it becomes too windy, it might be better to bring it in.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Arleyg

Awning tie down

Festus what do you suggest using for tie down on the awning and how do you anchor it?
Arleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

We do not have the auto awning --- its the older pull out and down, manual awning which probably lends itself more to tie-downs than the automatic ones. You can buy tie-downs and anchors from CW or any other RV retailer.

For tie-downs, I have made my own........
On mine, I have a container of pre-measured and pre-cut nylon line, some 12 inch galvanized spikes (with washer at the top) and some rubber inner tube "rings". I use the rings to give the lines some "give and take" when they are tied to the awning and to the anchors.
I have taken some bright, neon spray paint and coated the top of my anchors so that they are visible -- it helps prevent people from tripping over them and are not as likely to be left behind when packing up.

For securing the automatic awning, you might need to have some other type of anchoring system as they are not constructed the same way as the manual ones. You might get some feedback from those who have the auto awnings about the best way to anchor those.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Kenworth

Any idea of just where, and how do I gain access to the pump? I have a less than year old 5.7 SureFlo that is quiet, that I took out of my old camper...
Old 08-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
byrdr1

I used the same thing i did with manual awnings. I did add springs on the stake down end for a little extra bounce. dog stake out screws in the ground with springs and rachet straps wrapped around the tube. MY awning will tilt down also with arms and teh plastic knob screws. I thought i had pictures but cant find them.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

I'm not familiar with your floorplan/layout but your water pump should be located close to your kitchen sink and to your potable/city water inlets.
Turning your pump on and listening to it should give you another clue as to its whereabouts.

You will most likely have to remove a panel to gain access to it. The panel may be located near or inside a lower cabinet or cupboard or some other area depending upon the exact layout of your TT.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
Kenworth

Found it, in behind the panelling in the pass thru cargo area...I have a SureFlo 5.7 Smart sensor, that is variable speed, so I will put that in...that is after a trip to Home Depot to get a couple fittings.