Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
outbackmac

bad odor in camper

2011 outback 321 frl we are getting a very bad odor under kitchen sink, what could be causing this? we replaced the vent on the pipe under sink
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

How often do you use your trailer? If the S trap under the sink dries out, you'll get odor from the gray tank. If the trap is not drying out, then try some black tank deodorizer in your gray tank, fill it with warm/hot water, let it sit for a day, then empty and flush well with fresh water. You won't have access to use a "cleaning wand" but you can fill the tub, drain it refill and continue until the gray tank is full. After rinsing well, use deodorant in the gray tank for a couple of fills, then try it again. Hopefully, that's all that's wrong. The other more problematic issue may be a leak under the floor where the drain makes a turn to travel to the gray tank. If there is a leak along there, you'll get the smell back into the RV since it's not sealed very well in that area.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
hankaye

outbackmac, Howdy;

I'm in agreement with JRTJH. Food particles left in the tank will
smell bad when allowed to get to the 'science project' stage...

Fill the tank up a few times and drain to 'flush' it out. Put some sort of
sodium carbonate product (Oxyclean or some thing similar), to slick
the walls and bottom with the last partial fill. Maybe 5 gal. or so.

I'd do the same for any other Gray tanks and the black as well if you are going to leave them un used for any amount of time...

Only suggestions.......

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #4
Badboy

It could be the water heater.Try the hot water to see if it smells you will need to empty hot water tank,then put 2 oz.in water heater fill reapeat 2 or 3 times.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy View Post
It could be the water heater.Try the hot water to see if it smells you will need to empty hot water tank,then put 2 oz.in water heater fill reapeat 2 or 3 times.
Put 2 oz of what in the water heater?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #6
Badboy

2 oz of bleach,sorry
Old 06-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #7
outbackmac

odor

we do camp alot couple times a month. we are going to try some bleach when we flush on sunday. one more thing we didnt notice the odor until my wife did the dishes the first night, like i said i replaced the air vent .
Old 06-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmac View Post
we do camp alot couple times a month. we are going to try some bleach when we flush on sunday. one more thing we didnt notice the odor until my wife did the dishes the first night, like i said i replaced the air vent .
Silly me, but with todays quality control ethics ....... did you check that the new valve was good? You should only be able to inhale through it and not be able to blow through it. Up to you if you want to test the old one but another new one is only around $5.00. Also be sure to seal the threads with a little silicone grease. This is why I replaced mine originally, the factory installed valve was deformed and did not seal at all.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
rhagfo

Well now I am a little concerned, seem like I have an uncapped vent for the galley tank in a corner cabinet!
Will either put a breather cap on it or route it up through the refer space and out the roof.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well now I am a little concerned, seem like I have an uncapped vent for the galley tank in a corner cabinet!
Will either put a breather cap on it or route it up through the refer space and out the roof.

If it is just a cut pipe you will also need a female thread fitting also.

Search around on the floor of the cabinet, it may have fallen off and is rolling around.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're concerned about the vent cap functioning, you can always completely remove it by putting a rubber glove over the opening and effectively seal it so nothing can get into the camper through that pipe. DON'T do this as a permanent solution, but you can seal the vent by taping a glove over the existing vent cap and do the dishes, etc. See if the smell lingers, if it's gone, then it's the vent not doing its job, but if it is still there, there's more than the vent causing the problem.

I guess what I'm saying is to "remove" the vent from the equation and see if the smell goes with it.

Once you've determined if it's the vent or not, then your next step would be to either replace the vent or search further for the problem.

As for your concern that you've got an "open vent" under the sink, nearly all mobile homes, most manufactured/prefab homes and a significant portion of stick built construction now uses this type of vent in bathrooms and kitchens rather than route more expensive plumbing vents up through the roof. Just another "short cut" that's a "sign of the times" <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

As for your concern that you've got an "open vent" under the sink, nearly all mobile homes, most manufactured/prefab homes and a significant portion of stick built construction now uses this type of vent in bathrooms and kitchens rather than route more expensive plumbing vents up through the roof. Just another "short cut" that's a "sign of the times" <sigh>
Gee! Do you think that is why they call it a "Cheater Vent"?

Good advise to use the rubber glove as a test!!!!!
Old 07-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
skarpinski

I have been camping in trailers for decades and run into this odor from the gray tank from time to time. i think it is from food particles left behind in the tank. Solved the problem by putting a little liquid Tide and some bleach in the tanks AFTER they are emptied, with a gallon of water, just before we leave the campground to go home or move on. The detergent makes the tank walls slippery and the bleach kills the bacteria. The driving sloshes the solution around in the tanks and cleans them. i put a good amount of water in the tanks at the next camp and drain them before adding chemical. Clean tanks and no odors. Choose a laundry detergent with a pleasant smell and your camper will smell fresh and pretty!
skarpinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
outbackmac

odor

After adding bleach and some black tank cleaner things are getting much better. we leave for ky horsepark in a week i will put some tide and water softner in and ley slosh around