Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #1
Brysonsdad

current FR owner looking at new Keystone Cougar

Good Afternoon Everyone! We purchased a FR 26TBSS in 2016 as we were new to TT camping. Well, after 4 years the wife has ok'd an upgrade! We are looking at a new Cougar 34TSB. We are not committed to this model but the floor plan is the best for us in a TT style. Maybe would consider a 5th wheel if within our budget. Anybody have any regrets with your Cougar? Also, when we purchased our camper 4.5 years ago I knew what price I was willing to pay for a straight out cash deal. I took the inflated msrp and deducted 30%. Emailed the dealers around us and stated this is what we will pay with no add ons other than tax. Camping World of Asheville took our offer! I have had no issues with them or our camper other than the normal stuff but now I'm hearing not to buy from them. True? Why? We have had a follow camper tells us that they have purchased 2 TT campers from some RV Wholesale club. After just kicking the tires a little, the price that was given to us I do not see any advantage. Your thoughts? We have a 2019 2500HD Duramax Diesel so if you have any suggestions for us, please limit them to what we can pull. Thank you in advance for any advice you might have. I have learned more thru these types of groups than anywhere else!
Brysonsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:28 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

What you can pull when looking at 5th wheels isn't as important as how much payload you have. What does the yellow/white payload placard in your door frame say? The Cougar you are considering will have a pin weight of about 2500 lbs based on the gross weight of the trailer. Based on my limited knowledge of 3/4 ton capabilities I won't hazard if this is too much pin weight; the truck can likely drag it down the road fine but you may be over loaded. What does your payload placard say? This is an example.. you have to then add in extras on the truck, passenger weights, hitch weight, tools, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	payload.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	31588  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
... The Cougar you are considering will have a pin weight of about 2500 lbs based on the gross weight of the trailer.
George, are you sure? It's not a 5th wheel so maybe closer to 1500 lbs hitch weight?
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:24 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

On the listed Cougar 34TSB GVW is 10,500 lbs. AT 13% tongue weight that's around 1,365 lbs. So depending on what the tire loading chart says and what'
s in the truck it may be fine or it may be close to the payload capacity.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:29 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
On the listed Cougar 34TSB GVW is 10,500 lbs. AT 13% tongue weight that's around 1,365 lbs. So depending on what the tire loading chart says and what'
s in the truck it may be fine or it may be close to the payload capacity.

Geesh, sorry, it is a travel trailer. Since I don't have any idea what type payload capacity a Chevy 3/4 ton has, thanks for setting me straight. I looked up the specs and didn't notice it wasn't a 5ver. I also just noticed that Keystone is now calling these Cougars "Half-Ton Luxury Travel Trailers"! Wow! I can see a 1/2 ton truck dragging that camper down the road. It is almost 38' long!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:32 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethansdad View Post
Good Afternoon Everyone! We purchased a FR 26TBSS in 2016 as we were new to TT camping. Well, after 4 years the wife has ok'd an upgrade! We are looking at a new Cougar 34TSB. We are not committed to this model but the floor plan is the best for us in a TT style. Maybe would consider a 5th wheel if within our budget. Anybody have any regrets with your Cougar? Also, when we purchased our camper 4.5 years ago I knew what price I was willing to pay for a straight out cash deal. I took the inflated msrp and deducted 30%. Emailed the dealers around us and stated this is what we will pay with no add ons other than tax. Camping World of Asheville took our offer! I have had no issues with them or our camper other than the normal stuff but now I'm hearing not to buy from them. True? Why? We have had a follow camper tells us that they have purchased 2 TT campers from some RV Wholesale club. After just kicking the tires a little, the price that was given to us I do not see any advantage. Your thoughts? We have a 2019 2500HD Duramax Diesel so if you have any suggestions for us, please limit them to what we can pull. Thank you in advance for any advice you might have. I have learned more thru these types of groups than anywhere else!

I'll just thrown my 2 cents in.

First, you would need to look at any 5th wheel vs your truck payload THEN the floorplans available with that in mind. I think you will find they will be very limited. Remember that when figuring the load on your truck the TT will run about 13% of gvw and the 5th wheel 20-25% - big difference. IMO the TT would be better for the truck.

Regrets with a Cougar? I bought a 2014 Cougar High Country 319RLS new. We loved it and one of the best built trailers we've had. The newer Cougars aren't quite that nice but the price reflects that. I will say that a Cougar 315RLS? 5th wheel was my choice on the new purchase until DW decided on a washer/dryer. They're a good trailer.

As far as Camping World and your questions; check out the dealership, talk to the MANAGEMENT folks about your deal. Get a feel for the place. There is no reason not to buy from them if they are a good dealership. CW gets mixed reviews on this and every other forum. All reviews are dependent on THAT dealership that the particular person did business with (or may just be repeating what they've heard). I've done business with a few CWs and not had any long term issues. I wouldn't change my current dealer (CW) if I could. You have to keep in mind that CW is a national company ran by one man - and he's very proactive so there's always "another link in the chain" up when your dealer isn't taking care of business.

Pricing wise I don't know about the 30% anymore. That used to be a given and I got that on this one but it was JUST before Covid hit. Now that trailers are flying off the lot with backlogs on production etc. I doubt that will happen but who knows. Find the dealer you like (I like one near me if possible) and use other legitimate offers to use as leverage. That's what I did using FL pricing (lower than TX) to make ends meet (I did not intend to buy in FL anyway just wanted to get the lowest TX price possible).

The truck is what it is - a 3/4 ton diesel which comes with some caveats. It has lots of power to tow lots of things but comes with a small payload which then limits the weight of what you can put on it. Keep that in mind and know the payload of the truck which is located on the yellow/white sticker inside the driver door. Good luck on your search.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

I second Danny's advice on buying an RV now. They cannot keep any on the lots long enough to think about discounts. With that in mind only I would wait until the RV market is back to normal before buying. I recently gave the same advice to a close friend who wants to get into RVing. He is waiting, he knows what they sold for a year ago and what they go for now. He does not need an RV, so he will wait to get a deal and a model he wants. Hopefully back to the 25-30 % off norm.
Friends words from a salesman several months ago " We normally sell 40 units a month, now selling up to 200." No deals.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, keystone