Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2020, 01:26 PM   #41
flybouy
Site Team

Hank I'm no medical professional either but any emergent or urgent care that didn't give an elderly patient that's dehydrated an IV is criminal in my opinion.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:46 PM   #42
gearhead

Thanks for all the well wishes.
I get along pretty good with my doc. He's a deacon at the church I need to get back to going to. He's the medical director for our city Fire/EMS. All around decent guy. And I have a little "pull" in his office. Our daughter was kinda the daughter he didn't have. After she got her Masters in Health Care Management she took the job of Manager of the clinic. She learned a lot and has since got a REALLY good job with Humana Insurance. Anyway the staff there treats us mighty fine.
The doc said I just need to drink water.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #43
Jerry S

[QUOTE=gearhead;399580]After nothing but a cup of black coffee this morning, Dr. Betty took my blood sugar. It was 111. She said normal is 80-100, so nothing to get alarmed about.
I think I was, and maybe still am, pretty dehydrated. I had some leg cramps last night which I think is an indicator. A bit surprising considering how much water I drank yesterday. Driving home I had trouble not wetting myself. Had to stop 3 or 4 times. Advantage of a crewcab truck...open 2 doors on one side and p away!
I made Betty's WalMart pickup this morning and stopped by a food truck for a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich and low level flirting with the cute lady owner. "Where you from?" Breaux Bridge. "Yeah my folks were Crowley, Lafayette....
Back to my normal. LOL[/QUOTE

Really? Stopped at Mcdonalds, bacon ham and cheese. eggos.dehydration, etc and everything else you have said you eat is not a healthy diet. Keep eating like that and you are just waiting for the big one. Good luck.
Jerry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #44
gearhead

^^Thanks for the encouraging words.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:04 PM   #45
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=Jerry S;400744]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
After nothing but a cup of black coffee this morning, Dr. Betty took my blood sugar. It was 111. She said normal is 80-100, so nothing to get alarmed about.
I think I was, and maybe still am, pretty dehydrated. I had some leg cramps last night which I think is an indicator. A bit surprising considering how much water I drank yesterday. Driving home I had trouble not wetting myself. Had to stop 3 or 4 times. Advantage of a crewcab truck...open 2 doors on one side and p away!
I made Betty's WalMart pickup this morning and stopped by a food truck for a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich and low level flirting with the cute lady owner. "Where you from?" Breaux Bridge. "Yeah my folks were Crowley, Lafayette....
Back to my normal. LOL[/QUOTE

Really? Stopped at Mcdonalds, bacon ham and cheese. eggos.dehydration, etc and everything else you have said you eat is not a healthy diet. Keep eating like that and you are just waiting for the big one. Good luck.

Well for some maybe, for others maybe not. I've watched some folks that smoke 3 packs a day live longer than the vegan guy that runs 12 miles a day. Only thing was the vegan was just deprived all his life.

The "big one" is waiting for everyone of us from something; drunk driver, airplane crash, dementia.... Once you get to my age I'm thinking that stressing every day about trying to eat "healthy" (of which 1052+ diets I wouldn't know) I would far rather have my bacon, egg, cheese biscuit or my plate of biscuits and gravy and figure I'm in the 50% that does better than those that deprive themselves - not a single soul knows any differently...

Edit: the above highlighted comment in no way endorses smoking (I never have). It is a horrible health problem. My mom died from it, my dad almost did. I've watched many do the same....just a comparison.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:15 PM   #46
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Hank I'm no medical professional either but any emergent or urgent care that didn't give an elderly patient that's dehydrated an IV is criminal in my opinion.
Marshall, My idea also. When I called to talk to Doc he said because of her age he wanted to limit her exposure to other patients. Because of Covid we were not allowed in with her. She is terrified of going to the hospital so who knows what she told them about her earlier symptoms.

Brent, Everything in moderation and keep an eye on that sugar.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:34 PM   #47
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Marshall, My idea also. When I called to talk to Doc he said because of her age he wanted to limit her exposure to other patients. Because of Covid we were not allowed in with her. She is terrified of going to the hospital so who knows what she told them about her earlier symptoms.

Hank ride close herd (intervene early) on your mom, the facility and anything they may try to "assess". Given the proper "assessment" they will put her in a room and the only way to communicate will be by phone. Just watched this happen to a dear friend.
Old 07-17-2020, 05:14 AM   #48
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Hank, Again I'm no medical professional but that sounds like a lame excuse by the doc. Just being there she's exposed and a fast IV drip takes about 2 hrs. I hope she does well.

Brent, as stated I'm no medical professional but I have been dealing with my type II diabetes for 25+ years now. I controlled it with diet for almost 10 years by diet only. As the pancreas weakened over the years now it's monitoring blood sugars and taking 2 insulin injections 3 times a day and a once a week injection as well. Just qualifying my experience and not expertise.

The fasting blood glucose level (morning) reading is important but so is taking it 2 hrs after a meal. The after meal reading will give you an idea how well the body is using the glucose your pancreas produces. And as has been stated an A1C as it's commonly referred will represent a 90 day "average" by measuring an enzyme level.

You did the right thing seeing the doc and I'd imagine he ran a standard "panel" and checked that. When it's hot keep drinking water if you don't like the G2 style drinks and stay away from caffeine and alcohol.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:12 AM   #49
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

^^^^^One of the keys to life.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #50
gearhead

^^Indeed it is.