Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

RV Toilet - Need Guidance

Bought the new High Country with the Thetford Aqua Magic II toilet. I don't like Thetford. Upon purchase told DW I would replace it. Then, right after purchase we had to come to FL. I have now installed a Dometic 310 which I really like. I pulled the Thetford which is basically new. I wanted to offer it to someone in this RV park; there are many, if not most, that don't have much of anything but they are good, salt of the earth folks.

One fellow, as I was trying to help at another RV yesterday, said he thought he wanted it; today he said DW told him no. And the dilemma;

My intention was to throw it in the dumpster after removal. Yesterday, after the guy saying he was interested, I started thinking about it. It's really a new ,clean toilet. I am going to throw it in a dumpster.

Is it wrong to ask if someone wants it? DW thinks folks think it is "nasty" and to offer is gross. Don't want a thing for it, will take it to whoever wants it instead of "dumping" it but now think it's maybe a "gross" offer. And I repeat, most of these folks don't have a new anything....but I'm afraid I might not be so much in tune. Thoughts?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
Bill-2020

Danny, what don’t you like about it?
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #3
Customer1

I wouldn't have any problem with taking and installing a used toilet if I needed one.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #4
Gegrad

I'd offer it up. a littler sanitizer and someone has a basically new toilet.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
Brantlyj

I don’t really care what it is, if so can make a significant upgrade at no cost to myself I’m all in. I also generally despise adding something new and perfectly useful to the landfill.
If it really bothers you give it a bleach bath.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:26 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Danny, what don’t you like about it?
After using Dometics the Thetford toilets have so many weak points. The construction design is 2nd rate IMO. The design of the flush and the little diamond at the back vs the Dometic circular flush at the top is just not comparable. The build with the 2 screws behind the bowl to hold the top to the bottom is prone to failure. THANKFULLY as I found on this new one as I replaced it, the Dometic no longer has all the built in "pockets" that would hold all kinds of drippings to make it stink to high heavens....guess they actually studied a Dometic. The water valve, pedal etc. just aren't built as well as a Dometic....and now I need to get rid of one....in a Dometic box!!

And yes, it has been cleaned and "bleach bathed". It just seems such a waste to throw it in the dumpster but don't want to affront folks "sensibilities" I guess.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I agree the Dometic toilets are much better, I would offer it up. The next guy could change the seat. After all how many people buy used RV’s and spend HOURS laying on someone else’s mattress.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:54 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Danny, I would post a note on the CG bulletin board. ... "Replaced toilet in my new trailer with different brand that I prefer. Will deliver old one (clean and in box) to anyone free of charge." Or something like that. This way nobody gets offended and you still may help someone out. I personally would not be offended whether or not I needed one. "One man's trash is another man's treasure." JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:59 PM   #9
travelin texans

Give it to someone that needs one!!!
I swapped my POS Thetford quickly also after spending $80+ on a foot pedal that kept calling off then finding for about $200 could replace to a much better toilet.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:22 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

We had an original Aqua Magic in our camper when I bought it. The shape could be compared to a bucket and it was very much too low. The worst is that it didn't have a foot flush but had a little gray fitting that you had to push sideways to flush that was on the rear near the seat. That meant getting a chance to view things up close and personal while flushing. The toilet was NOT designed for the male anatomy. I immediately got rid of it and replaced with a Dometic 320 high version.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:04 AM   #11
notanlines

Post it on the bulletin board. No reason to trash a new toilet. You'll notice I didn't say 'perfectly good.' And I believe no one has the right NOT to be offended in this world. And I agree that the landfills are already full enough with RV mattresses!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:56 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
We had an original Aqua Magic in our camper when I bought it. The shape could be compared to a bucket and it was very much too low. The worst is that it didn't have a foot flush but had a little gray fitting that you had to push sideways to flush that was on the rear near the seat. That meant getting a chance to view things up close and personal while flushing. The toilet was NOT designed for the male anatomy. I immediately got rid of it and replaced with a Dometic 320 high version.

Hah! I remember when first used that phrase in another post somewhere about the Thetford. I described that toilet to her as you did; she looked at me, grinned and said "that's exactly right....a bucket".
Old 06-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #13
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Is it wrong to ask if someone wants it? DW thinks folks think it is "nasty" and to offer is gross. Don't want a thing for it, will take it to whoever wants it instead of "dumping" it but now think it's maybe a "gross" offer. And I repeat, most of these folks don't have a new anything....but I'm afraid I might not be so much in tune. Thoughts?
It's not gross. There's a whole underground market out there of garage-salers selling older non-low-flush units for residences. If a prospective buyer thinks it's gross, he just doesn't have to buy it. Throw the magic word "reconditioned" in there somewhere and I'm sure someone will take it off your hands.

Tags
toilet