Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2020, 05:16 AM   #1
levic900rr

Roof Trouble on 239ML

I purchased a new 2020 239ML a few months ago. Im still fighting my water heater problem but a new fun challenge has popped up that I'm now dealing with

As I was washing / treating the roof the other day I noticed a spot where it looks like there is a screw pushing up on the under side of the rubber roof. Luckily I already had an appointment at the dealer for the water heater issue, so I asked them to take a peak when they had it. I was hoping the tech would find an upper kitchen cabinet screw that had gone too deep and just back it out and off we'd go. Not so lucky... they think it is a plywood splinter that is poking out, and they have requested pre-approval from Keystone to PULL MY WHOLE ROOF OFF TO REMOVE IT!

Knee jerk reaction from me was

Part of me feels like the "newness" that I acquired by purchasing a new trailer is about to go away, but as I'm thinking through it the dealer techs should be able to seal it up as good, if not better, than the factory. But I really don't want to be chasing roof leaks for the rest of my ownership...

Anyone have any opinions on this? Should I just let it ride? Or seek a second opinion?

Thanks

EDIT: this is a picture of the spot, its weird cause the camera is playing a trick on the eye. It looks like a divot, but in fact it is poking upward...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	passport roof.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	28150  
levic900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:26 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

This is unusual. Typically we see posts where the dealer want's to repair it and the owner is having a fit expecting a new roof. If Keystone is willing to replace the roof (unlikely from your description) I'd let them.

One thing for sure, it won't fix itself or get better. If you refuse the warranty repair or replacement I'm just guessing that the problem will become all yours after that.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 05:45 AM   #3
levic900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
This is unusual. Typically we see posts where the dealer want's to repair it and the owner is having a fit expecting a new roof. If Keystone is willing to replace the roof (unlikely from your description) I'd let them.

One thing for sure, it won't fix itself or get better. If you refuse the warranty repair or replacement I'm just guessing that the problem will become all yours after that.
Yeah I want them to fix it for sure, and by the sounds of it (I will get more detail if Keystone approves the claim) they are not going to "replace" the roof. They said they would remove the side coping and peel the roof skin back to repair the problem, then re-install the roof skin and coping.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:35 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd suggest a couple of points be "completely clear by all concerned parties" before you agree to "pre-approval from Keystone to PULL MY WHOLE ROOF OFF TO REMOVE IT!"

Points are:

1. When they pull the TPO off the OSB, flakes and chips of wood will be adhered to the roof membrane. There will also be "holes/indentions" in the OSB decking.

2. If the service center reuses the TPO without cleaning all of the wood chips off the bottom of the membrane, when they reinstall it, you'll have many more than just that one "pointy object under the roof membrane"...

3. If they pull the membrane off the OSB decking and apply a new membrane, you'll have "rough areas" where the OSB separated and pulled off with the old TPO roofing. So, the finished product will have "pockets that hold water and get stained faster than a smooth roof.

4. If they do install a new membrane, they also need to use a wood filler to smooth the OSB roof decking so the finished product appears smooth and even.

If I were you, I'd make sure I knew EXACTLY what Keystone approves and EXACTLY what the dealership is going to do. The last thing you want is an end result that gives you a "pock marked roof surface".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:25 AM   #5
levic900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd suggest a couple of points be "completely clear by all concerned parties" before you agree to "pre-approval from Keystone to PULL MY WHOLE ROOF OFF TO REMOVE IT!"

Points are:

1. When they pull the TPO off the OSB, flakes and chips of wood will be adhered to the roof membrane. There will also be "holes/indentions" in the OSB decking.

2. If the service center reuses the TPO without cleaning all of the wood chips off the bottom of the membrane, when they reinstall it, you'll have many more than just that one "pointy object under the roof membrane"...

3. If they pull the membrane off the OSB decking and apply a new membrane, you'll have "rough areas" where the OSB separated and pulled off with the old TPO roofing. So, the finished product will have "pockets that hold water and get stained faster than a smooth roof.

4. If they do install a new membrane, they also need to use a wood filler to smooth the OSB roof decking so the finished product appears smooth and even.

If I were you, I'd make sure I knew EXACTLY what Keystone approves and EXACTLY what the dealership is going to do. The last thing you want is an end result that gives you a "pock marked roof surface".....

This is AWESOME info. Thank you so much. I will be sure to cover all of this when they call me back. I have a funny feeling that whatever they WANT to do is not going to be the way I would do it.

I'm starting to think that slicing that one spot, pulling the one splinter out and patching it might be a better plan than peeling the whole roof off.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:33 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I have seen multiple situations similar to yours and to my knowledge they have all been deemed "cosmetic" by Keystone. It's nice that the dealer wants to remove and replace the entire roof but I figure that will be a no go with Keystone. In my situation I had about 9 locations on the roof that screws were apparently backing out under the roofing. The solution was to cut pieces of Eternabond to place over them so they could not back out through the roofing and cause a leak. Worked like a charm, they didn't back out any further and I had no issues for 4 years after doing it (and didn't worry about it).

As far as chasing leaks from now on....you will be regardless in one way or another. You can leave your roof alone and wait for the leaks to happen then try to find them or inspect the roof every 90 days or so, reseal as needed, then go down the road. But, in essence, you are chasing roof leaks from now on with and RV - sorry.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by levic900rr View Post

I'm starting to think that slicing that one spot, pulling the one splinter out and patching it might be a better plan than peeling the whole roof off.
If I were you, I wouldn't "slice the roof in that one spot, at least not until the splinter, screw, staple or whatever it is, pushes its way through the membrane. TPO is a lot tougher to penetrate than you might think. That object may well sit there, "poking the TPO" for years without pushing through and creating a leak. If the Keystone "remedy" is to cut the membrane, remove the object and seal the slit, I'd suggest just leaving it alone until it causes a problem. With regular roof maintenance, you'll be on the roof quarterly, so just watch it and, even if it's after the warranty expires, making the slit and buying a piece of EverBond tape isn't that costly. You'll have a tube of DICOR sealant in your hand anyway, resealing other spots on the roof....

It's not going to "cost you anything" (so to speak) to leave it alone if all Keystone wants to do is a "patch job"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof