Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #1
gssmithusn

New member counting down the days

My husband & I just purchased a 2016 Passport ultra lite 151m & have a 2020 Subaru Ascent to tow with. We are both retired from the military and will be retired from civilian careers on May 22nd. Currently living in South Carolina, but have sold this house and bought a home in Arizona and will be on the road (with our 3 dogs!) June 6th. Oh, did I mention we've never owned a travel trailer or RV? LOL. We love new adventures, plan for what we can and expect they'll be glitches along the way. (That's what makes it an adventure) We'll de-winterize, set up, sleep in it, then break it back down in our driveway to check things and familiarize ourselves with the trailer. And lots of practice backing up in empty lots!! If there are any tips, we'd appreciate it. Thank you to all for being a great resource.
gssmithusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! A Subaru Ascent for a tow vehicle? Don't know that I've ever seen that.

Not to be a downer on your new purchase but you need to really look into the tow capability of that Subaru. I get conflicting info on the specs for that trailer but at the very least it is about 4k lbs. The tow capability is 2k - 5k depending on the specific Subaru vehicle. I hope you have a new tow vehicle in your sights before heading off across the country seeking new adventures - not "that guy" with the tail of his overloaded, mini SUV almost to the ground, swerving all over the road. Not being ugly, just want/hope you have a safe, fun towing experience.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
gssmithusn

The Ascent has a tow capacity of 5000 lbs. We had owned an Outback, but the towing capacity was only around 3000 lbs. When we purchased the passport we had to drive it 480 miles home and the Ascent handled it great. We'll be traveling light, only doing 1 night overnight stays to get us out there.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:59 PM   #4
Gary R.

Welcome to the forum!

Enjoy that Passport as you travel about.

What part of Arizona are you headed to? I am from Prescott, it was a small town when I was a kid, but it is anything but that now.

Also, we thank you folks for your service to our country--it is appreciated!

Take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
gssmithusn

We are moving to Buckeye, our son and his family live there. It will be a big change. We've never lived in a desert area before, always have been near the ocean or a lake, so there could be lots of traveling! LOL. We plan on using retirement to attack a pretty long bucket list My husband and I are proud to have served in the Navy and are thankful for those years. We appreciate your kind words.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:33 AM   #6
Chris P

Congratulations and Welcome from New Jersey, Thanks for your service! Safe travels.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:14 AM   #7
roadglide

Welcome be safe and hopefully there is grand kinds waiting .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:51 AM   #8
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Yes, congrats on your new soon to be adventure both camping and Rving
We're still waiting to camp this season but our parks up here aren't open yet because of you know what. Are you guys good to go down there? I should be camping right now damit! It's our traditional first time out May Victoria Day long weekend and my RV is still in storage. They're slowly opening things up here so I anticipate camping soon.
One tip is watching videos on Youtube...great info/tips on everything Rving. Good luck and thanks for making us feel a little safer up here
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:04 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssmithusn View Post
The Ascent has a tow capacity of 5000 lbs. We had owned an Outback, but the towing capacity was only around 3000 lbs. When we purchased the passport we had to drive it 480 miles home and the Ascent handled it great. We'll be traveling light, only doing 1 night overnight stays to get us out there.
Was that tow capacity of 5K from the yellow door sticker or from advertisements? From what I've read that 5,000 lb capacity would be a totally striped down basic unit that rarely exists.

Not looking for an argument but I've seen this before. My DW's sister and BIL did a very similar move. He was ex military, became a cop then retired. They started out with a motorcycle pop up. Towed it with a Mazda Miata. Decided to get a teardrop trailer. Killed the Miata in one year. Then they got a Hyundai SUV. 2 years, 3 transmissions and 2 alternators later they bought a Hummer H 3. No drive train issues but that idiotic 5 cyl reaped about 10 mpg towing. The live at 10K+ feet in CO and drive east every year to the east coast. Every vehicle they bought was "maxed out" on options thus reducing the left over payload. After years of trying to explain the difference between "advertised and real" tow capacity and the ramifications of wind resistance they bought a Ford F 150. Going on 5 years now trouble free towing.

So not saying your tow vehicle can or can't do the job but when I see someone quote the towing capacity that's the maximum of the advertised numbers I just have to ask where that number came from. The advertising numbers for towing capacity is like the Camping World sales ad. You know, the ad says "Up to 50% Off" in a particular category. When you open the ad they have one low priced item for 50% off and the rest is a far less discount.

JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:40 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
We are moving to Buckeye, our son and his family live there. It will be a big change. We've never lived in a desert area before, always have been near the ocean or a lake, so there could be lots of traveling! LOL. We plan on using retirement to attack a pretty long bucket list My husband and I are proud to have served in the Navy and are thankful for those years. We appreciate your kind words.

Well, at least that "desert" area is pretty....at least to me (but I come from the desert).

We've got friends that live or have homes in Gilbert, Fountain Hills and Apache Junction/Gold Canyon in that area. We like it but it does get warm which doesn't bother us. And then.....the excitement will be the Superstitions. Always wanted to find the Lost Dutchman's gold, gathered maps and made plans but I was young and could never make it. Finally did 10-12 years ago but I was older, the temps were around 100 and those mountains did not look inviting, so......here we are still wondering about that gold but content to go by and look at the mountains, drive thru Tortilla Flat and go down to Theodore Roosevelt Lake every now and again. Good luck, have fun and thanks for your service!
Old 05-18-2020, 07:14 AM   #11
travelin texans

Buckeye is a nice area just on the western fringe of the Phoenix metro area. You're getting here just in time for the summer heat & monsoon season so hope you packed your shorts & waders.
We are between Phoenix & Tucson just of I-10. Like the other Danny we grew up in Texas so the heat is nothing new to us, the lack of wind is very nice, also with the lack of humidity it doesn't feel as hot especially in the shade.
Welcome to the RV world & Arizona!
Safe travels!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #12
gssmithusn

I got the following info from the sticker on the vehicle ; GVWR = 6000 lb. Curb weight = 4677 lb GAWRF - 3021 lb. GAWRR = 3296 Payload not to exceed 1323 lbs. Max hitch weight = 500 lb. / The trailer info is GVWR = 4320 (includes 410 hitch and 985 carrying capacity)/ The combined weight of my husband, dogs and I is 475 lbs. We plan on weighing everything prior to loading it either into the car or trailer. We are on a forum for Subaru Ascent and the people who have towed say it can handle it, but we'd feel better with the opinion of people who tow all the time. We're thinking the numbers work. What do you think?
Old 05-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks for the detailed info and your concern for being safe - kudos.

The issue that will rear its head is your tongue weight. The 410 tongue weight will be for a "dry" trailer. At gvw your trailer tongue will be in the 550-570 lb. range if loaded correctly. At a weight of 4320 I don't see any way you won't exceed the 500 lb. hitch rating (another indicator it was not meant to pull a regular travel trailer). You need to add at least 125lbs. for a good weight distribution hitch - which goes right on to the hitch rating in addition to the tongue weight.

If 475 is for the couple and dog don't think for a minute that you won't have snacks, bags, water, cameras, etc. etc. All the other stuff you don't have in the trailer? Figure 600 minimum.

On top of that when you reach that "towing max" you have reached the end of the ability of the Subaru suspension components to adequately tow and protect you and others....they just aren't meant as a tow vehicle for a travel trailer....at all IMO.

I once had a Ford Ranger that could "tow X amount". Folks said "sure, it can pull it". It surely did until I pulled a small trailer loaded with firewood down a mountain and came within about 4' of going over a 400' embankment. I learned then to have what you need to control and carry the load....not "make it roll".
Old 05-18-2020, 05:45 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I got the following info from the sticker on the vehicle ; GVWR = 6000 lb. Curb weight = 4677 lb GAWRF - 3021 lb. GAWRR = 3296 Payload not to exceed 1323 lbs. Max hitch weight = 500 lb. / The trailer info is GVWR = 4320 (includes 410 hitch and 985 carrying capacity)/ The combined weight of my husband, dogs and I is 475 lbs. We plan on weighing everything prior to loading it either into the car or trailer. We are on a forum for Subaru Ascent and the people who have towed say it can handle it, but we'd feel better with the opinion of people who tow all the time. We're thinking the numbers work. What do you think?
You may get the numbers to work but here's the thing, there's a difference between "can you" and "should you". A truck's primary design is to facilitate pulling and carrying weight. They will do it day in day out without harm if the parameters are followed. The driveline, brakes, frame, etc are designed for that purpose. Hauling weight in a vehicle not designed for the purpose will result in prematurely wearing out some expensive components. Small SUVs and minivans are designed to haul Kids, get groceries while getting decent gas mileage and fitting in a garage with room to spare. They can be very good at doing that.

I think it rare that one finds the ideal product that allows you to "eat your cake and keep it to".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:47 PM   #15
gssmithusn

Isn't that the truth!! Thanks for your help
Old 05-31-2020, 01:03 PM   #16
msubobcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Well, at least that "desert" area is pretty....at least to me (but I come from the desert).

We've got friends that live or have homes in Gilbert, Fountain Hills and Apache Junction/Gold Canyon in that area. We like it but it does get warm which doesn't bother us. And then.....the excitement will be the Superstitions. Always wanted to find the Lost Dutchman's gold, gathered maps and made plans but I was young and could never make it. Finally did 10-12 years ago but I was older, the temps were around 100 and those mountains did not look inviting, so......here we are still wondering about that gold but content to go by and look at the mountains, drive thru Tortilla Flat and go down to Theodore Roosevelt Lake every now and again. Good luck, have fun and thanks for your service!
Hope I am not hijacking the thread too much but sourdough brought up some OLD memories. The mention of the Lost Dutchman Mine was highlighted on an old tv show way back. Think the name may have been Omnibus. They did a episode on the Lost Dutchman. Always dreamed of finding it and all that treasure.

No, don't think I would want to be towing with that combo...
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:19 PM   #17
LHaven

Quote:
We spent about six months at the Destiny in Buckeye while we were shopping for property out here. Nice campground, one of the few commercial parks we could find in Arizona that would accept an under-55 couple with a dog and a youngster.

You can take I-303 north to Lake Pleasant whenever the urge for a beach hits... stay until dusk and you can watch the herds of wild burros come down for drinks.

Tags