Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
depshrink

New TV -Now I got questions!

Took my 2010 Sierra 1500 in for an oil change and inspection yesterday and left with a 2011 Sierra 2500HD Diesel with an 8ft. bed. I have a trip planned for next week but now realize I might have to make adjustments to the hitch. I have a Husky Centerline WD hitch which was set up for the Sierra 1500 and my TT. I have a feeling that I can't just stick the hitch into the truck's receiver and drive away. Is a hitch on a 3/4 ton truck higher than a hitch on a 1/2 truck? You would think that hitch height would be standard (nothing's that easy). The dealer did the initial setup, but, the TT and truck were both there at the time. What should I do?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
flc

I just went from a 2500HD D/A 4x4 to a Ford F150 SCrew. The hitch height was way different and required considerable adjustment. (Equalizer)
flc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
bennydog

While my experience did not begin with an oil change it had a similar outcome.
Went from an 07 RAM 1500 to a 12 RAM 2500. I did take the time to measure the top of the receiver on both trucks when they were parked side by side at the dealer and found that the new truck measured 2" higher. I had enough extra holes in my shank that I thought I'd be OK just dropping the hitch head down. Almost got away with it. Turned out the angle of the 2500 caused the ball to actually be higher by an additional 3/4 of an inch and the 2500 did not squat nearly as much as the 1500 when the trailer was attached. $175 on a new shank but we are good to go. I do have a couple of slightly used shanks if anyone is interested, though most likely not worth the shipping charges.

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
KenBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennydog View Post
While my experience did not begin with an oil change it had a similar outcome.
Went from an 07 RAM 1500 to a 12 RAM 2500. I did take the time to measure the top of the receiver on both trucks when they were parked side by side at the dealer and found that the new truck measured 2" higher. I had enough extra holes in my shank that I thought I'd be OK just dropping the hitch head down. Almost got away with it. Turned out the angle of the 2500 caused the ball to actually be higher by an additional 3/4 of an inch and the 2500 did not squat nearly as much as the 1500 when the trailer was attached. $175 on a new shank but we are good to go. I do have a couple of slightly used shanks if anyone is interested, though most likely not worth the shipping charges.
I was able to fit a shank in a USPS flat rate box. There was no charge for weight as "If it fits, it ships. For one flat rate". The postal workers earned their money on that package!
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
campingcpl

When we switched from or GMC 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive to the Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 I had to readjust the hitch. I had to lower the head and readjust the angle. The bumber sat higher and with heavier suspension I didn't need as much angle in the head. Very rarely will you find you can take a hitch from one truck to another and not have to make some type of adjustment and that even goes when switching from trailer to trailer or even changing the load in a current trailer.

For example: I might have to adjust the leveling bars if we are going on a long trip compaired to a short trip. The reason being we will have more clothes loaded in the closets, extra water in the fresh water tank (short trips wouldn't require putting water in the fresh water tank), etc..

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
depshrink

Well, I had to turn the shank upside down to lower the ball. Getting the bolts loose on the hitch was a task. There was about an 1 1/2 inch difference between the two trucks. I now have to adjust the sway bars. Called the dealer first thing in the morning and they said bring the truck in and they would adjust the hitch. i said, "hmmm..you can do that without the TT?" and they replied, "Oh, you have to bring that in too!" If I could tow the trailer the 70 miles to the dealer, I could tow the Trailer 20 miles to the campground!!! Oh, and I found that the hooks on the safety chains are too small to clip on the new truck. I have to run down to the tractor store and pick up larger hooks. Apparently the holes where the hooks go are much thicker on this truck. Murphy's law prevails!