Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
mic1hael

Question 20" wheels to 22" wheels?

I got new 22" wheels on my truck and I am wondering if I will have to do hitch work on my truck to compensate the new wheels. I was wodering if anyone has had this problem and if they have what did they do? I am kind of hoping that I will not have to but at the same time I want to be safe. This is just another case of me and my DW doing things bass ackwards
Allison 6 speed transmission 3.73 gears
mic1hael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
CampDestinations.com

Only if the overall diameter of the new wheel + tire is different than the old wheel + tire. Or if your truck sits at a different level with the new tires.

Your new wheels may alter the carry and tow capacities of your truck if they are not rating for as much weight as the stock wheels.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
mic1hael

wheels

Yeah I made sure I got the same rated tire as the stock ones so that shouldn't be an issue. I guess I will just have to pull out the measuring tape to see if there is a difference.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
mhs4771

If the truck now sits higher you may have to get a drop hitch or adjust you reciver hitch lower to keep the rig level. Plus if the overall diameter is larger, you have reduced your towing capacity same as if you lowered your differential ratio, but with the Duramax and your little TT you shouldn't see much difference other than the speedo being off.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
cumminsdad08

if you fit them under a stock truck, i wouldn't worry about it a whole lot.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
mic1hael

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
If the truck now sits higher you may have to get a drop hitch or adjust you reciver hitch lower to keep the rig level. Plus if the overall diameter is larger, you have reduced your towing capacity same as if you lowered your differential ratio, but with the Duramax and your little TT you shouldn't see much difference other than the speedo being off.
It's not little it's just lightweight. I didn't even think about the speedo, thank you for letting me know.