Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Rizzocolin

Future Keystone owner towing with Jeep

Good afternoon from the Lone Star State!

After visiting the Houston RV show last month and spending a few Saturdays at various dealers we have decided that a Keystone TT is the right RV for us.

The short list (for now) is either the

Bullet Model 246RBS or Premier Model 27RBPR

The problem is that being new to this I am unsure that our tow vehicle (2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee) will be able to handle the Premier or either of these TTs

I will post a more details and questions in a better location in a bit but for now I am happy to be here.
Rizzocolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
f6bits

The Bullet is a possibility, but I’d advise against the Premier. The Premier is too long and too heavy for a comfortable tow. I’m about maxed out with my setup, the limiting factor being the rear axle load. So while I’m well within spec for trailer and tongue weight, and pretty close on my payload limit, I wish I had a much longer wheelbase for better stability for such a large trailer.

The good news is that Texas, from my limited perspective, is pretty flat, so hills aren’t going to be much of a problem. If you’re planning on extended out of state trips, then I’d suggest a different setup.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Rizzocolin

Sadly I agree with you. We really love the Premier's outdoor kitchen but I want something we are going to be able to pull.

The tounge weight of the Premier is 655. With propane and battery weight I am going to be over the 740 max of the jeep.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
allentx1

Welcome to the forum my fellow Texan. One word of advice I would give is to not get anything that is "close to the limit" or you will regret it. One thing we do have in Texas is wind... between that and semi's towing with a short wheel base SUV is very scary. We tried a Tahoe once... ONCE. Never again and certainly not without some type of stabilizer on the hitch. We have a local dealer in Georgetown that sells that line, rvoutletmall.com. We have purchased two RVs from them... Good luck!

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
mtbkrdan

I agree with the recommendations. Don't go to the max tow capacity of the vehicle if you can help it. My one ton blew the transmission because I had overloaded based on the factory rating. Have since upgraded the transmission and now towing is a dream. Good luck.
mtbkrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
silver bullet 46

I looked up the gross towing capacity for a 2006 Jeep Cherokee 4.7L engine 4X4 on a jeep forum and read 3500 lbs was the limit. I own a 2011 Bullet 246rbs and the empty shipping weight is 4900+ lbs, if you throw in a sandwich and a cup of coffee the weight can creep on up to 6500lbs :-) I tell you this because I turned down two buyers for my Ouback 18rs(6000lbs GVW) that had tow vehicles that were not up to the task. At this point I think you have a three choices: 1. Get a larger tow vehicle 2. Look at micro trailers (like the Visa just for example) or 3. Go tent camping. Whatever you choose you might consider using an rule of thumb repeated to me by many experienced RVrs " your towed unit should not exceed 2/3 the tow vehicles capacity". I believe this is to compensate for inflated tow capacities on some vehicles and the fact that you will want a good reserve of power in the mountains. Hope this helps you in your search, camping is so much fun and you'll never meet finer people anywhere.
silver bullet 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
Rizzocolin

Our TV will be a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, not a 2006 model.

Our Jeep is equipped with the Class IV Tow Package.
7400 lbs capacity with a Class IV Hitch. I will be using a Equal-I-zer 4 point hitch with the 246rbs
Old 03-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
f6bits

The 7400 tow capacity boggles my mind. Mine (yeah, 2006) has a cargo capacity of 1100 lbs. A bigger engine doesn’t increase that. With 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue, that leaves 360 lbs of cargo capacity. With 15% of the trailer weight on the tongue, you’re 10 lbs over capacity, and that *doesn’t* include the people, gas, and miscellaneous stuff in your car.

Back to having the minimum 10% on tongue with 360lbs left over, a full tank of gas (20 gallons) weighs 120 lbs or so, leaving you with 240 lbs., which isn’t enough for two adults.

As I said in my first reply, my limiting factor is the rear axle load. Get ready to spend some time adjusting the Equalizer hitch. I’m still making adjustments to get everything properly set up. Here’s a good primer on setting up the hitch:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/17730894.cfm
Skip down to the “Three leveling rules” for the simple breakdown. But the whole thing is a good read.

2011 Passport 2590BH
Old 03-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Rizzocolin

My 2012 showes a payload of 1580, not much better than the 1100.

Where did you find the info on the rear axle load?

Thanks for the link, it looks like some good info
Old 03-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
f6bits

My doorjamb has a 1”x5” sticker that spells out gross axle loads and tire size/pressure info. It tells me: GAWR Front, GAWR Rear, and GVWR. Going to a local waste management company (they have a public scale), I measured my loaded up rig to see if I exceeded any of these numbers. I was about 400 shy of my GVWR, but *really* close on GAWR Rear, so I needed to tighten up my WD to put more weight on the front.

I’m itching to get another TV, but 1) I *really* like my Jeep, and 2) DW isn’t going to be easily swayed.

2011 Passport 2590BH