Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
VADave

Is a Slider Still Necessary?

Hi all - Question about the necessity of a sliding fifth wheel hitch...with the re-designing of many front caps, are sliding hitches still needed on short bed pickups? (I have a Super Cab F-350 short bed and plan on purchasing a Fuzion 310).

Thanks
VADave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Herap

VADave, I don't have a slider and there will be some that do answering your question. However, I've seen this question many times and for what its worth, and my $.02, with the modern front caps and beds of 6 1/2 feet, most of the operators don't "need" a slider, BUT, usually purchase a manual slider for that 'one' time they'll need. The manual sliders are not as expensive as the automatic ones and may be more in tune with your expenses. If it were me, I'd purchase a manual if I had the 'standard' bed length, IMHO .

Ray
Old 02-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
RCrawler

Even with the Max Turn front cap on my trailer, it would never clear without a slider.

I bought the auto slider because I didn't want to get into a situation where I had to slide it in traffic. I had heard stories of getting stuck and not being able to release the slide.

There are those out there running standard hitches with shortbeds. But, one insurance claim to repair your pickup and trailer would more than pay for a manual or auto slider hitch. And at least save some embarassment.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #4
Jim W

Yes in my opinion, it is better to have than not have and wished that you installed a slider hitch when needed. You will not know when you need a slider hitch until you get in that situation. For this reason I am using one

I am using a manual Reese 15K slider hitch in a 2500HD 2008, Ram Mega Cab. This has a 6".5" bed and I have never hit the cab when towing in the city or on highways in the towed position. The only time I need to use the maneuver position is backing up into my drive way or in campgrounds. These are the conditions when you need the slider feature.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
mhs4771

If all your travels will be on perfectly level ground and all campgrounds have perfectly level pads and driveways you will probably be ok. But this is the real world and as things rock around, TV one way and 5er the other "POP" there goes a back window. You make the decision.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
msp2jxr

Get a slider... I asked the same questions with my first 5th wheel and don't feel I wasted money getting the slider. I use it mostly when I get into the camp grounds I don't know. I didn't use my slider at a campground I had not been in before and sure enough i ended up tipping the trailer enough it took the trim off the corner of my trailer. If I don't know the camp ground I just pull the slider while the wife checks us in. Jay
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
VADave

Thanks everyone - sounds like I'm getting a slider.
VADave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
bearandjake

Smile Slider hitch

Hello dave,

i have a slider also,only had 2 use it twice in 6 years. But the 1 time
i got boxed in, in a walmart parking lot and it saved us to swing
around and get out.you'll safe money over the years.

Happy trailering, blair v.
2005 3500 DODGE RAM 5.9 CUMMINS DIESEL,
6 SPEED MAN TRANS,CUMMINS JAKE BRAKE.
REESE 16K SLIDER HITCH,DOUBLE PIVOT,
INSTALLED IN 6FT BOX 4X4.

1-CHOCOLATE LAB/RETRIEVER & 1 GOLDEN LAB/
RETRIEVER/LOVING DOGS.
bearandjake is offline   Reply With Quote