Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2018, 07:12 AM   #1
TheGriz

Inverter Generator Confusion

Okay...of course AFTER I bought my inverter generator (Predator 3500), and bought/installed Progressive Industries EMS HW50C, I read somewhere and confirmed with Progressive Industries (PI) that using an Inverter Generator (IG) will harm PI's HW50C EMS!!! However using a 'conventional' generator would be perfectly fine.

To my understanding IGs provide "cleaner" AC so as to reduce risk of damage to electrical component.

Could someone smarter than me in this area, please explain why an Inverter Generator would damage the EMS?

Now of course I understand that I could place the EMS in bypass mode. Surge protection is still provided but not the other features of the EMS.

Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

This is in the Progressive Industries FAQ section. The part I've "bolded" should set aside your concerns about protecting your RV from voltage/frequency variances produced by the generator. Most IG's do have a voltage and frequency specification and the control module monitors the output to assure it's within those specs. If the output varies from the specificaitons, typically the generator will "drop offline". I can't say what Harbor Freight specified when they purchased the Predator line, so you might want to check with them or in your owner's manual to verify that the model you have does monitor the output. If so, then just put your EMS in bypass and let the generator monitor its own output.

Q: Should a Hardwired EMS be installed before or after the transfer switch?

A: A hardwired EMS should be installed prior to the transfer switch. The reason for this is most RV generators already have built-in voltage and frequency protection. If the EMS is installed after the transfer switch, this leaves the transfer switch vulnerable to power problems.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/faq

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #3
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
Okay...of course AFTER I bought my inverter generator (Predator 3500), and bought/installed Progressive Industries EMS HW50C, I read somewhere and confirmed with Progressive Industries (PI) that using an Inverter Generator (IG) will harm PI's HW50C EMS!!! However using a 'conventional' generator would be perfectly fine.

To my understanding IGs provide "cleaner" AC so as to reduce risk of damage to electrical component.

Could someone smarter than me in this area, please explain why an Inverter Generator would damage the EMS?

Now of course I understand that I could place the EMS in bypass mode. Surge protection is still provided but not the other features of the EMS.

Mike
All that is part of the reason I've not run out and purchased a hard wired version of an EMS. I have the plug in style but obviously don't use it with my gen, only when using shore power.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
This is in the Progressive Industries FAQ section. The part I've "bolded" should set aside your concerns about protecting your RV from voltage/frequency variances produced by the generator. Most IG's do have a voltage and frequency specification and the control module monitors the output to assure it's within those specs. If the output varies from the specificaitons, typically the generator will "drop offline". I can't say what Harbor Freight specified when they purchased the Predator line, so you might want to check with them or in your owner's manual to verify that the model you have does monitor the output. If so, then just put your EMS in bypass and let the generator monitor its own output.

Q: Should a Hardwired EMS be installed before or after the transfer switch?

A: A hardwired EMS should be installed prior to the transfer switch. The reason for this is most RV generators already have built-in voltage and frequency protection. If the EMS is installed after the transfer switch, this leaves the transfer switch vulnerable to power problems.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/faq
Appreciate the response John. I should have been more specific with my question. The Tech at PI, believe his name was Anthony, explained that even with a bonded N-G plug to get past the E2 error code, damage to the EMS circuitry would occur over time as a result of minor fluctuations in the sine-wave of the IG.

This is what is still tripping my logic breaker!!! I'm hoping there is a "Dick and Jane" explanation of this "sine-wave" anomaly.

Thanks for any help,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Mike,
Anthony is correct, but only if you leave the EMS in "monitor mode"

If you just bypass the EMS when running on the generator there can't be any "damage to the EMS circuitry" because you're bypassing all of that circuitry... Just let the generator monitor itself rather than trying to "double monitor" and use the EMS when you're on campground or house power..... Don't make it any more difficult than it has to be.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:29 AM   #6
Ddubya

JRTJH,
100% agree. No need to use EMS unless plugged into shore power.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator