Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #1
IamJerryP

First trip with the XLite

Had our first camping trip with the Cougar XLite 28RKS this past weekend,
A few issues, but still a lot of fun.
Nissan XD pulled it easy, and comfortable. Big rigs passed, and got passed without any notice. Ironically, I get better mileage with a 10k gvw trailer on the highway, than I get empty in town driving
Got set up, and had a great day, and a good nights sleep, on an unexpectantly very comfortable mattress.
I love the auto leveling, now that I understand how to operate it.

Woke the next morning to some very dim lights. Found out the Power Converter died at some point. Found a 10A fuse blown in a line near the battery, red wire connected to a yellow wire.
New fuse in there changed nothing, checked the converter, dead, the two 35amp fuses are intact, Oddly enough if you pull them out, and put them back in, the converter fan runs for about 5 second.still no output.
Converter is only putting out 0.3 volts,

Took one of the batteries out of the Titan, and put it in the trailer, and put the trailer battery in the Titan to charge
Later I hooked a charger up to the trailer battery, and we got through the weekend just fine.
The floor plan works perfect for us. Lots of room for the dogs.

Called the Dealership this morning, told them about the issue, asked if I could just bring in the power converter, and change it out, and was told they have to have the trailer there to test the converter.....
I am less than happy about that. I am not an electrical engineer, but I can do electric work, and use a meter. It is not like a converter is a complicated high tech device, it either works or it don't, electric in, and no output means it is dead so i guess I with have to pull the trailer 80 miles drop it off, and let them see that it is dead for themselves, While they let it set for a couple of weeks...
So that will be a nice use of time, and gas to pull it up, leave it, and them come back to get it, and haul it home.
Otherwise nice buying experience, just became a little bit irritating.
As the LEDs use so little power, I can see them not knowing the converter was dead,
I have not charged the battery since Saturday, and it is only at 11.3 volts, and still working fine, and the LEDs lights are bright, levelers, and slides are working OK,
Spent some time getting organized, and everything in its place in the belly today, Lots of space for storage
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0644.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	492.1 KB
ID:	14135

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0646.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	14136
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:29 AM   #2
notanlines

Jerry, over all, it sounds like everything went surprisingly good. Only one item on the first outing is better than average probably. And that too will pass. You'll find that you could make it through the remainder of the season with a 10 amp battery charger instead of having this repaired at an inopportune time and just bring it in at the end of your season. You might also call WFCO and see if they might change this for you. It is probably their converter. By the way, you might want to check those mileage figures again.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
IamJerryP

Yes, it is a WFCO 55 amp converter.
I am considering just using a battery charger the rest of the season. That is all the converter is anyway.
I will call WFCO, and. Check with them
It makes no sense to haul it 80 miles, drop it off. Come back some other time, haul it 80 miles back to home.
Plus, I have to worry about getting it back before the next trip
Old 09-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
IamJerryP

I have checked, and rechecked the mpg.
I do lead foot it in town, and the regens kill intown mileage.
I drive more level on the highway, at around 63mph. Which seems to be a sweet spot for mpg