Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
evanhix

Equalizing grey tanks?

I have a 2017 Carbon 357 with 2 grey tanks. I assume that 1 serves the garage bathroom & w/d drain and the other serves the front master bath and kitchen sink. Both tanks have seperate valves but drain to the same outlet. I installed a valve at the main outlet because I got tired of the surprise liquid that spurts out when I remove the cap. My question is, could I leave both grey valves open and let the tanks equalize therefore increasing the capacity of the most used front tank? I had a Prevost driver tell me that he does this on his rig. Is it safe on toyhaulers or not recommended? Thanks for any info.
evanhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:31 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I suppose it would work. Until MY 2018! Imagine by Grand design had 2 grays with one valve.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, it will work to equalize the two tanks. We do that when dry camping quite often. Since we use paper plates (they make good fire starters after eating) we don't have a lot of gray water dumped into the galley tank. So, we also have a terminal valve slide that we leave closed and I open both gray tank dump valves. That allows gray water from the bathroom tank to flow to the galley tank extending our stay (before the tanks are full) by a couple of days.

It sounds like Grand Designs plumbed the Imagine gray tanks "behind a single valve" so they will always equalize. Every time I have to crawl under the slide to pull the galley valve, I wonder why there's even a dump valve back there. It would have been so much easier to just have installed the front gray valve in the "T" rather than behind it. That would have eliminated the need for a valve under the slide.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

And they added a second gray valve this year. Still one termination point.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:20 AM   #5
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhix View Post
I have a 2017 Carbon 357 with 2 grey tanks. I assume that 1 serves the garage bathroom & w/d drain and the other serves the front master bath and kitchen sink. Both tanks have seperate valves but drain to the same outlet. I installed a valve at the main outlet because I got tired of the surprise liquid that spurts out when I remove the cap. My question is, could I leave both grey valves open and let the tanks equalize therefore increasing the capacity of the most used front tank? I had a Prevost driver tell me that he does this on his rig. Is it safe on toyhaulers or not recommended? Thanks for any info.
I installed one of those quick connect valves at the black/grey tank outlet drain. Have always left both grey tanks open since doing this.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
evanhix

Any idea why they would design the tanks this way? Why not have one large tank that is shared be all grey water drains? Or plumb both together so that they can be shared?
Old 05-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Any idea why they would design the tanks this way? Why not have one large tank that is shared be all grey water drains? Or plumb both together so that they can be shared?
Probably "engineering specifications" like distributing the weight load, space limitations like where would you put a 80 gallon tank vs placement of two smaller tanks (in available spaces), cold weather applications like maintaining a "drain slope" inside the "conditioned spaces" of the floor while preventing exposed plumbing from becoming "frozen pipes".

If you think about it from a practical application, having two tanks in different locations in the floor, you can distribute the weight and not affect "balance". Having one large tank (in the front or in the back) would have a significant impact on tongue weight or pin weight. There's only so much space "over the axles", and not all the tanks can go there. On most trailers with two tanks, one is forward of the axles and one is behind them.

It's all about "carrying weight" without unbalancing the load.... I know, not an easy concept to master, and Keystone hasn't completely "mastered the concept" in all of their trailers, but in most, tongue weight remains a fairly constant percentage of total weight throughout the weight range from empty weight to maximum GVW. They do it by placement of available storage locations within the trailer and available tank storage for liquids.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #8
Sandfreak

Quote:
How hard was it to add the valve also could you post a pic?
Sandfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:18 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

sandfreak,

There is no actual "installation" involved. The valve that is being discussed is an aftermarket "twist-on" valve by Valterra (there are other companies that make similar valves). You simply remove your "end cap" (where you attach the dump hose), twist the valve onto the 4 barbs, then reinstall your "end cap" on the outer side of the new valve. It operates just like your existing valves, pull to open, push to close. That will allow your gray water to flow from the full tank to the "normal outlet" but instead of flowing into the dump hose, it flows "upstream" (via the drain line) and equalizes the volume between the two tanks.

Adding the valve to your terminal connector serves an even more "refreshing" advantage. It prevents the "gush of goo (or poo)" that can happen if you have a leaking dump valve on a tank. Once you ever experience the "surprise behind the cap" you'll know just why Valterra sells so many of these "little lifesavers"......

Here's a picture of the valve. It's available for about $20 at most RV parts stores, online at any RV parts outlet as well as Amazon, EBay and other sources.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VALTERRA TWIST ON VALVE.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	12918  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-05-2017, 06:47 AM   #10
Sandfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
sandfreak,

There is no actual "installation" involved. The valve that is being discussed is an aftermarket "twist-on" valve by Valterra (there are other companies that make similar valves). You simply remove your "end cap" (where you attach the dump hose), twist the valve onto the 4 barbs, then reinstall your "end cap" on the outer side of the new valve. It operates just like your existing valves, pull to open, push to close. That will allow your gray water to flow from the full tank to the "normal outlet" but instead of flowing into the dump hose, it flows "upstream" (via the drain line) and equalizes the volume between the two tanks.

Adding the valve to your terminal connector serves an even more "refreshing" advantage. It prevents the "gush of goo (or poo)" that can happen if you have a leaking dump valve on a tank. Once you ever experience the "surprise behind the cap" you'll know just why Valterra sells so many of these "little lifesavers"......

Here's a picture of the valve. It's available for about $20 at most RV parts stores, online at any RV parts outlet as well as Amazon, EBay and other sources.
Thank you...
Sandfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:41 AM   #11
evanhix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandfreak View Post
How hard was it to add the valve also could you post a pic?
This is the permanent valve that I installed from amazon. I previously used the quick connect bayonet style but it hung down to low and I was afraid of clearance. Otherwise it worked well. Permanent install was simple. Hacksawed the old valve off and pvc glued the new valve on. Took about 10 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1075.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	12926  
Old 06-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #12
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

I would love to do that, however my plumbing won't allow for it. I have three tanks: one black and two gray... with two discharges: one servicing the black and one gray, the other servicing the second gray.

No biggy though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
mikz86ta

Quote:
I wish they had a map of the system and a standard.
My rear black tank does rear toilet and washer. I know this because I seldom use rear toilet and have a washer I use alot. And it gets filled. Upon draining, the water is mostly clear with a slight tint of whatever color the detergent is. Lol
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:26 AM   #14
jsmith948

Quote:
This is the permanent valve that I installed from amazon. I previously used the quick connect bayonet style but it hung down to low and I was afraid of clearance. Otherwise it worked well. Permanent install was simple. Hacksawed the old valve off and pvc glued the new valve on. Took about 10 minutes.
Hopefully you won't encounter any issues down the road - but - the sewer drain pipes are ABS plastic and I don't know if PVC glue will melt the ABS together correctly. Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:42 AM   #15
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Hopefully you won't encounter any issues down the road - but - the sewer drain pipes are ABS plastic and I don't know if PVC glue will melt the ABS together correctly. Just sayin'
The two types of plastics will bond with the right 'glue', called transition cement and is Oatey Transition Cement 30925. Anything else - probably wont last with any pressure
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #16
GovGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
I would love to do that, however my plumbing won't allow for it. I have three tanks: one black and two gray... with two discharges: one servicing the black and one gray, the other servicing the second gray.

No biggy though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the same configuration in our 324CG, and the galley grey tank is forward with the cleanout under the slide. I'm trying to figure out a way to delete it and move it near the aft cleanout area.
Blogg@ - https://rv-therapy.com/blog/
GovGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank