Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #1
Astroinfidel

Ram 3500 tire recommendation

Hi everybody,

I recently took my Everest up the Dempster Hoghway in the Yukon. I took a sharp stone through the sidewall of one of the almost new Firestone Transforce HT tires that came with my 2017 Ram 3500. I am looking for a tire with better off road capability and puncture resistance, that is also good on the highway for noise and durability. The Firestone Transforce tires are not going to give me even 30,000 miles from what I can see of the treadwear. The rear tires are wearing much faster than the front, which surprised me. Any recomendations for replcement tires appreciated. I am currently considering the Bridgestone AT Revo 2. If anyome is towing with this tire, I would appreciate knowing how they are performing for you.

Dean
Astroinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:48 AM   #2
hdxbonez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroinfidel View Post
Hi everybody,

I recently took my Everest up the Dempster Hoghway in the Yukon. I took a sharp stone through the sidewall of one of the almost new Firestone Transforce HT tires that came with my 2017 Ram 3500. I am looking for a tire with better off road capability and puncture resistance, that is also good on the highway for noise and durability. The Firestone Transforce tires are not going to give me even 30,000 miles from what I can see of the treadwear. The rear tires are wearing much faster than the front, which surprised me. Any recomendations for replcement tires appreciated. I am currently considering the Bridgestone AT Revo 2. If anyome is towing with this tire, I would appreciate knowing how they are performing for you.

Dean
I've been very happy with these, the first set lasted about 50,000 miles, and could have gone longer but I wanted deeper tread for the winter-

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...rain-adventure
Old 07-17-2017, 03:00 AM   #3
Frank G

Without looking at sizing charts, check and see if there are any Michelin RIB tires that fit. The Firestone tires are not giving good tread life, I will be happy to get to 30,000 miles on mine. I think excessive rear tire wear is due to the exhaust brake on the Cummins Turbo Diesel. In return I have read about some unheard of brake pad life. In excess of 100,000 miles.

Just checked and the RIB tires only come in 16" sizes.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:07 AM   #4
xcntrk

I'm currently using the Nitto Trail Grappler. They're E-rated and have an impressive 3750 max load rating per tire in my size. They have a great tread pattern for off-pavement use and a rugged side-wall design, and they're relatively quiet on road. The downsides I've observed are that they seem to wear fast and the aggressive tread pattern impacts the gas mileage. But these are a good option if you need an aggressive tire.

Another real popular option are the Toyo Open Country AT's. My buddy installed a set of these at the same time I did the Trail Grappler above. The Toyo's have been wearing way better than the Nitto's and he has more miles than I do. They're a little less aggressive, but great balance of on & off road capability.

Whatever you choose, make sure you have the same or better load capacity than the stock tires. Last thing you want to do is bring down your capacities by installing a lighter duty aftermarket tire. Good luck

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:56 AM   #5
kfxgreenie

Nitto Terra Grappler G2, or the Toyo Open Country AT2. Both good A/T tires with great weight ratings, and are known to be respectable tires.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:32 AM   #6
notanlines

We got 66K on our first set of MICHELIN LTX A/T 2 and only changed then because we had a long trip ahead of us. About half our miles are towing a heavy Raptor and wouldn't go with another brand at this point. I simply couldn't imagine getting 30K on a name-brand tire.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:04 AM   #7
gearhead

I'm at about 25,000 miles on my OEM Firestones. I had to replace one that picked up a sheet metal screw. I think I have rotated them 4 times. Looks like they will make 40,000 at least. If I'm not towing the boat, the 5th, or carrying the 3800# cabover, I'm scrubbing the tread off on low speed around town errands. I'm happy with them so far.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

My OEM Firestones did great as well. Pulled them off at 50k and they all had 7-8/32nds left on them. DT manager asked why I was replacing them and told him I always take tires off by 50k, usually 40k. Told me they would take $200 off the selling price of the replacements I was putting on. They were an excellent set of tires for me. I replaced them with Michelin Defender LTX M/S which are the quietest, smoothest truck tires I've ever owned I believe. They aren't an aggressive off road tire but that's not what you want for towing anyway IMO. They are excellent in rain, dirt, sand and mud....considering that they're not full bore off road tires.

As far as off road capability and noise, the more off road capable the tire is the noisier it is as I'm sure you know. To me there is a trade off when trying to get max off road traction, especially when trying to use the same tires for towing. The more aggressive the tire the louder it gets; some that aren't very aggressive are loud. Off road tires also tend to ride hard due to rubber compounds and large slabs of rubber or they are soft for grip and wear out by the time you drive around the block a couple of times. I've owned Nitto, Toyo, Bridgestone, Firestone, ProComp, BFG (all kinds), Goodyear (all kinds), Yokohama, Dick Cepek, Michelin (all kinds) and others. I've pretty much determined that Michelin is the way to go for me. Good luck in your search.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #9
nellie1289

while we are on this topic, my 2014 ram also has the aforementioned firestone a/t's. I have 17k miles on them, they seem to be wearing fine. I have 20" factory limited rims. wondering if anyone has gone up once size from say 285's to 295's on the factory 20's ? any turning or rubbing issues? I imagine the speedometer issues would be minimal. basically looking for a slightly bigger, tougher, looking tire that feels the wheel well a little better.
2021 Malibu 23 LSV
2017 Yamaha YXZ1000R SS SE
2019 Can AM Maverick X3 Turbo XRS
nellie1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie1289 View Post
while we are on this topic, my 2014 ram also has the aforementioned firestone a/t's. I have 17k miles on them, they seem to be wearing fine. I have 20" factory limited rims. wondering if anyone has gone up once size from say 285's to 295's on the factory 20's ? any turning or rubbing issues? I imagine the speedometer issues would be minimal. basically looking for a slightly bigger, tougher, looking tire that feels the wheel well a little better.

I've not used a bigger tire on my TV than the 285/60R20 that's on it....they're pretty big tires. If you're looking at a bigger tire you might try the 295 and go to a lower profile (55?) to keep the overall diameter about the same. There will also be a size limit on the wheel. You can pull up a tire dimension chart to get an idea. You could also check with a place like DT and ask them. I placed a set on a 4runner a few years back to accomplish exactly what you are trying to do. When I went in to replace them with the same size the DT folks said they wouldn't do it.....the tire was larger than what was recommended for the wheel so had to downsize. Might be better off if you just checked it out first to be safe.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #11
Astroinfidel

Thanks for the advice guys,

I have decided to go with the Michelin LTX A/T 2. They seem to have a very good mileage rating, as well as a good recommendation here from notanlines. I will buy one now as a spare to get me back south where I will surely find 4 more cheaper than here in the Yukon.

Dean
Old 07-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys,

I have decided to go with the Michelin LTX A/T 2. They seem to have a very good mileage rating, as well as a good recommendation here from notanlines. I will buy one now as a spare to get me back south where I will surely find 4 more cheaper than here in the Yukon.

Dean

Do you have the 20" wheels on your truck? If so, you can't get the LTX A/T 2 in the size that came on mine (285/60R20). That's why I had to go with the Defender.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #13
notanlines

Our Ford came with the chrome aluminum wheels (Oh, yeah, now there is an option that deserves it own thread, however on another forum) with a
275/65 R20 size tire. I don't know how much of a difference it would be. I might also add that the four new tires, mounted and balanced at the Ford dealer in Albuquerque was about $1225. The Michelin dealer just shook his head when I asked for a comparable rate and sadly sent me back to Ford. His price: $1475.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 07-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Our Ford came with the chrome aluminum wheels (Oh, yeah, now there is an option that deserves it own thread, however on another forum) with a
275/65 R20 size tire. I don't know how much of a difference it would be. I might also add that the four new tires, mounted and balanced at the Ford dealer in Albuquerque was about $1225. The Michelin dealer just shook his head when I asked for a comparable rate and sadly sent me back to Ford. His price: $1475.
Were the tires you bought Michelin's? If so, sounds like the Ford dealer priced them about as well as DT in Lubbock did which sounds pretty exceptional to me. Mine were almost exactly the same price as yours as I recall.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #15
notanlines

Yes, same as original equipment.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #16
Astroinfidel

Hi sourdough,
No I have 18 inch wheels.
Dean
Old 07-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Hi sourdough,
No I have 18 inch wheels.
Dean

The LTX AT 2 is an exceptional tire; I think you will be happy.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #18
jonnyaiks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Without looking at sizing charts, check and see if there are any Michelin RIB tires that fit. The Firestone tires are not giving good tread life, I will be happy to get to 30,000 miles on mine. I think excessive rear tire wear is due to the exhaust brake on the Cummins Turbo Diesel. In return I have read about some unheard of brake pad life. In excess of 100,000 miles.

Just checked and the RIB tires only come in 16" sizes.
I'm on the Transforce permanently because I got "OEM tires for life" when I bought the truck, but I have noticed the same thing as you. My brake pads still have 70% on them after 20K miles. But I rotate regularly (so front-rear wear evens out) and the tires have little wear. They handle weight like a boss but traction is carp. I once lost grip on all 4 during an easy start from a traffic light in light rain. Last weekend I buried both axles in mud with a large 5er on it... 1 foot off the pad. Tire guy told me the water siping is negligible so it all builds up in the center channels and lifts the tire off the road. So now I know to stay on gravel/pavement and don't drive in rain. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote