Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #21
DJ85

I should have know that because they all float on water But atl east I was on the heavy side instead of the lighter side. Thanks for the info I am not sure I want to go much higher then a 50 gallon tank that gives me 80 gallons of fuel which should be okay. Like I said I just seeing what everyone else is doing and then decide on my own what works for me.
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:20 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Something to consider, especially during the "off season" is if you have a larger tank, you'll cycle fuel through it slower. In some climates and some conditions that could set you up for "bad diesel" and you could be changing your filters more frequently, or possibly needing injector service if things get out of hand. If you do install a "big tank" think about how to keep it clean during the parts of the year you aren't towing and don't need the extra capacity. It's still there and possibly still growing algae.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:06 AM   #23
DJ85

I drive my truck as a dailey driver so this should not be a problem just won't be using it as fast. If I have to add additive to it so be it I don't see anyway around it either you have or you don't. Everything just seems to start settling in around that 300 mile mark and now I have to start looking for fuel. All I want to do is get out there and go. I think after 600 miles or so I could use a break anyway. Getting older and bladder is getting smaller.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:21 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ85 View Post
I drive my truck as a dailey driver so this should not be a problem just won't be using it as fast. If I have to add additive to it so be it I don't see anyway around it either you have or you don't. Everything just seems to start settling in around that 300 mile mark and now I have to start looking for fuel. All I want to do is get out there and go. I think after 600 miles or so I could use a break anyway. Getting older and bladder is getting smaller.
I speak from experience when I say, "Just a "little older" and you'll be stopping every couple of hours to empty anyway", so, unless you're looking to stop only every 6 hours and you're gonna travel at 100 MPH getting 600 miles between pit stops isn't going to help your bladder much. You're right, having the extra fuel onboard is nice, especially so you can avoid "high fuel price states like Illinois, but methinks you'll still be stopping "somewhere" more frequently than the 600 mile mark (unless you have a relief tube mounted in that cockpit)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-09-2011, 07:25 AM   #25
puresilver66

I drive a 2011 DMax dually. I installed a RDS 60 gal aux. fuel tank/toolbox combo in bed of truck. Has a gravity feed line connected to filler neck. Tank is approx. $700.00 from Northern Tool and 3 times capacity. I can travel all day without stopping for fuel. I just try and plan ahead for rest areas with plenty of room for truck and 38' 5er to drain my tank.
puresilver66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #26
DJ85

Sorry I was not more clear about stopping. I didn't mean that I would be driving steady for 600 miles without stopping not sure thats even a good idea on the truch muchless you body. I like to get out stretch and talk a bit What I said in the beginning is I don't want to have to start looking for fuel when I am trying to do other things like site seeing and visiting people off the beaten path. I have towed my other camper and this one only one time and here is what always happens. We drive to the camp site unhook. Then we start riding around site seeing for maybe a day or two then the rest is spent around the camp site walking and talking. Then when all the fun and is over and we have to go back home guess what now the 30 gallon fuel tank is on a 1/4 tank and now I have to look for fuel. I know thats the way life works but I just seeing if maybe adding some extra fuel cap is worth even doing. For me to add a little comfort to life is what we all try to do correct
Old 11-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

AHHHHH Gotcha, It is frustrating when that happens. Then it's not a definite size tank you're looking for? Just something to augment what comes naturally with the truck... Ever thought about side tanks? They're about 20 gallons each and completely out of sight when installed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #28
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCrawler View Post
The majority of 12V pumps designed for in bed tanks are not compatible for gasoline use.

Jason
Not true. Any pump sold as part of a fuel transfer system is accepted for gasoline. What is not permitted by DOT is gravity fed gasoline transfer systems. Gas has to be pumped.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #29
DJ85

I have never seen or heard about side tanks unless your calling them something different? Any info or where I can view these would be greatly apperciated.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ85 View Post
I have never seen or heard about side tanks unless your calling them something different? Any info or where I can view these would be greatly apperciated.
I will try to get you a source. Last ones I had were on my 93 F250. They were 19 gallons each, fit in the space between the frame and the sidewalls at the forward end of the bed. When I bought, 2 styles were available. one you filled from the wheelwell, the other needed a cut out for the door in the bed sidewall. I went with the cut-outs as people advised me mud would get caked on the fill spouts in the wheelwells. I had a friend with an older truck, he had that style and he put a soup can over the caps and said he never had a problem. That would give you roughly 40 gallons additional fuel and when I bought mine, I think they were $198 plus the tubing to connect to the main tank, that kit cost $100 (give or take) Inflation may make them too expensive to justify, but ???

I'll do some digging and see if I can find the info buried in my file cabinet...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS