Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
cvma.eagle

Looking at Carbon 357 with TV of GMC

RIght now , we are looking at a Carbon 357, and will be towing with a GMC HD, 2500, Denali. CC 4X4 standard bed. Model 2013

Duramax 6.6 diesel

Owner;s manual states that the rig can handle 15800 for gooseneck or 5th wheel and 1300 for bumper pull.

I have read a lot of the posts on here on the 350 and 3500, being the best, I cannot argue that point, and won't . Looking for opinions on this, as right now I am not looking to move to a dually. One cost, either a TT or 5r, or a new truck and can't do both. AND, the better half ain't to thrilled on the idea of a dually.
SHE loves the truck.
Thanks, in advance, and waiting for the deluge.
Mike/Eagle
cvma.eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:46 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Re: Looking at Carbon 357 with TV of GMC

I would look at the sticker on your driver's door post to verify what your truck can do. The manual is for all trucks but the sticker is for only your truck. This can keep you from a lot of frustration. I learned this the hard way. On my first camper my dealer told me sure you can pull it ! I could but not the best. Bought a truck. Pulled it great. Sold that trailer, bought a heavier trailer, still pulls it but now looking at a 3500 in the spring. That will put me ahead in the truck department for at least the next trailer.

My truck pulls my new trailer fine. But it is too close to the edge for my and my DW's comfort. I hope this helps.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:41 AM   #3
bsmith0404

If you've been reading a lot of posts then you've probably have read my posts on this subject before. The TH you are looking at has a a GVWR of 17,000 and a dry hitch weight of 3060. Will your truck pull it? yes. Will your truck pull it safely? No. You are way over the payload rating for your truck and once loaded will most likely be at or over your max tow rating. The TH you are looking at is much heavier than my Alpine. I towed it once with my 2011 Duramax 2500. There was a definite feel of stability issues. I have extensive towing experience and can tell when a vehicle is on the edge of stability. As long as conditions and all other factors are good, it's not an issue. It is a serious issue when things go bad. The TH you are looking at is definitely dually area. My personal opinion, I wouldn't hook up anything over 13k to a 2500, they are very comfortable and capable in the 11k area.

My wife loved our 2500 as well, so did I. She was intimidated by the dually when we first bought it, refused to drive it. One day on a road trip I got "too tired to drive" and she was forced to take over. Ever since that day, she doesn't hesitate to grab the keys.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:09 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

If you are going to spring for a new truck OR a new RV then I think you probably have to go for the new RV since you don't mention that you have an existing trailer and you don't want to buy both.

With that thought you need to take into account the stats you listed plus the carrying capacity listed on the door sticker. Those will tell you what you need to be looking for in an RV. GVW of the trailer you can pull is 15,800. Your payload though will probably be no more than 3500lbs? (guessing - the door sticker will tell you). The GVW of the Carbon 357 is 17,000lbs. which will exceed the max tow rating for your truck. The pin weight, dry, is 3060lbs. Fully loaded it will probably exceed your payload by itself.

The 357 is too big for your existing truck IMO. I think you may want to revisit what kind of trailer you want and get one that fits your truck. Look at a trailer that has a GVW (dry weight plus payload) somewhere around 13,000 lbs to be on the safe side and watch the pin weight - they vary considerably. You also mentioned either a 5th wheel or TT. If you go with a large TT make sure you have a Class V hitch.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
bsmith0404

The OPs truck comes standard with a class V receiver.

I can tell you from experience that your truck, full tank of fuel and 2 adults will weigh in around 7200 lbs. That leaves you with 2800 lb payload for everything else you plan to add to it plus your hitch and RV pin weight. Realistically, you need to stay down to 2500 or below on pin weight. Pin weight jumps pretty quick when you start adding gear to the basement storage so around 2000 pin weight is your target. With that said, you are also looking at a toy hauler, so anything you put in the garage can reduce pin weight, the question is how much?

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:18 PM   #6
CWSWine

I owned a 2013 Chevy Diesel and the payload sticker on the door jam of the truck was 2475 lbs.

Using that 2475 payload here is what towing planner says you can handle.

http://towingplanner.com/Calculators...0&hw=200&ct=FW

Here is a video put out by the RVSEF (RV Safety and Education Foundation) in how to match your Truck to the RV. It shows how the number relate to each other. These guys have been doing this since 1993 and weight thousand of RV.

http://rvsafety.com/rv-education/mat...ks-to-trailers
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
cvma.eagle

Thanks for the input. We are still looking and at all options. I have read a lot of the posts, and that's why I came to those who have done this for awhile. No, we do, not have a TT or TH at the moment. Been shopping for about a year off and on., Will keep options, open, and will keep reading. Again, thank;s for the information.
cvma.eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #8
1jeep

cvma....I think your going to find almost all 5th wheel toyhaulers are at the cargo capacity limits of a 3/4 ton truck and some 1ton srw also. The carbon 347 is the newer version of my carbon and it still has a 3000lb pin weight.

I assume you want to keep your truck, maybe consider looking at a travel trailer toy hauler. I have a buddy that has a gmc 2500 and that's what he just did, most of the items in his trailer are shared from mine.