Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2016, 12:04 PM   #1
Jca3

Utah Hwy 15 beware tire shops

We travel to Zion every spring on HWY 15. Beware of the gas stations near Beaver and Scipio because there are tire shops next to most. They have personnel who come out to try to sell you tires or more costly repairs. Several years ago we had a guy come out of at Scipio telling us we needed new tires on the trailer. We left and purchased tires ourselves later.

This past year a guy in Beaver came out to tell us we needed air on the back tire of the truck. Couldn't tell us we needed tires because trailer and truck had new all around. We pulled into the air and a guy came out and had the front jacked in seconds turning the front wheels back and forth so fast I watched the steering wheel turning quickly in the truck. He said we needed front end work or our tires may fall off and he had the parts. My husband told him to get the jack off now and we got out of there. We had it checked when we got home by our trusted mechanic who said there was nothing wrong and it looked good as we had much work done a couple years ago.

After leaving I looked online with my phone and saw a newspaper article where gas stations in Scipio and Beaver had already been cited for corrupt practices and overcharging people for tires. Although the tire shop in Beaver that attempted to scam us was a different company than those cited.

By the way there is a nice new gas station at Mona without a tire shop and easy access to and from I-15.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #2
hankaye

Jca3, Howdy;

Ther have been a few other threads started about this topic, some in Ut.
and some just west of there in Northern Nv. Can happen anywhere, we all
just need to keep our wits about us and exercise good judgment. Now if
someone started to do anything to any of my rolling stock without my
permission they would have to be sure their hospitalization insurance was
up to date ... not sayin' I'd do anything to them, but it is Rascal's
truck and 5th wheel and he's fast

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:28 AM   #3
jsmith948

Hopefully, those folks notified the authorities. I probably would have started with the State Police and then gone where ever directed by them. I know, most people don't want to get involved or delayed by having to fill out a report, but, if no one reports them, they'll just keep scamming the public.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:05 AM   #4
dcg9381

I don't know how it is up there, but around here, generally the police can't (or won't) get involved in stuff like this that is of a "civil" nature.

Want to help the rest of us? Leave a Yelp / Google review of this place, so that others can see what's going on. If you want to have it pursued, file a complaint with the attorney general in that state - at least get something on file.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:01 AM   #5
Jca3

complaint

Yes the course of action was to file a complaint with the Consumer Protection office. Can't do it online instead I had to print out their form and send it in which I did.

Just trying to let everyone know with various travel alerts. I didn't list the name of the place because I think I read we aren't supposed to on Keystone RV.

I also wrote the oil company to tell them the tire shop is running off customers.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:28 AM   #6
dcg9381

Thanks, JCA... I know I appreciate stuff like that.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jca3 View Post
Yes the course of action was to file a complaint with the Consumer Protection office. Can't do it online instead I had to print out their form and send it in which I did.

Just trying to let everyone know with various travel alerts. I didn't list the name of the place because I think I read we aren't supposed to on Keystone RV.I also wrote the oil company to tell them the tire shop is running off customers.
Jca-

Our forum rules do not permit a member to make false, written statements about an organization, business or person. Although the rule indicates "slanderous" statements it should, in fact read, "libelous" remarks.

Slander denotes a false, spoken statement whereas libel is a false, written remark. One is oral, the other written.

Including the name of the gas station(s) would be okay as long as you are certain that any statements you make about them cannot be construed as being "libelous" which could leave yourself and the forum open to suit. This is not likely to happen but it could so you should be aware of the possible consequences.

It's your call as to whether or not you want to include the names of the stations involved.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:54 AM   #8
Jca3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Jca-

Our forum rules do not permit a member to make false, written statements about an organization, business or person. Although the rule indicates "slanderous" statements it should, in fact read, "libelous" remarks.

Slander denotes a false, spoken statement whereas libel is a false, written remark. One is oral, the other written.

Including the name of the gas station(s) would be okay as long as you are certain that any statements you make about them cannot be construed as being "libelous" which could leave yourself and the forum open to suit. This is not likely to happen but it could so you should be aware of the possible consequences.
It's your call as to whether or not you want to include the names of the stations involved.
Thanks for clarification. I don't want to list the station because there are two in Beaver Utah and the other has wonderful reviews. I did post a review on Yelp and Google about the tire shop. I also read reviews regarding another shop, at another oil company, in the area and it appears it is quite a common practice for I-15 travelers. Beware Beaver and Scipio as on a previous trip we had tire shop employees run out try to sell us tires for the fifth wheel in Scipio, Utah.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #9
airforceret

It's been many years ago, but we did in fact get all four tires replaced at a shop there in Beaver Utah. I remember the sign on the grass by the picnic table (No Dogs on Grass) and I snapped a pic of the wife and dog sitting in the shade. We had great service at a reasonable price. The tires were literally coming apart. Likely from our travels from Bakersfield where the temps hit 117 and the pavement was so hot you couldn't stand on it!
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:22 PM   #10
denverpilot

The biggest problem with not naming the bad guys is the other shop that's good will suffer, since nobody can tell the difference, the safest course of action is to avoid ALL shops in that town without doing more research than just driving on by will require. Just sayin'.