Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2016, 07:06 AM   #1
whitmw

RV Carport

I am strongly considering having an RV Carport built for my 27 ft. All I am looking for shelter and not a garage (Cant afford that). I have a quote from 1 local company for $2061. That's with the heavy duty package with 12 gauge steel and extra bracing all installed. 12 x 12 x 31. We live in an area that can get some pretty high winds so I asked for something strong enough to handle the weather around here. My house has already be hit by a tornado a years ago. I guess what I am asking is does this seem like a good price, are there better affordable options, am I going over kill? Any advice from someone that has went through this is appreciated. Also the spot where it will go is in direct sunlight all day sun up to sun down. Thanks,
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #2
dcg9381

How tall is it?
That doesn't seem unreasonable - I've bid structures like this (not pre-fab) and most of the cost is in the slab or leveling grade.

Having the structure wind resistant is good, but do you know how they'll anchor it? Without sides, it's probably less affected by wind than your home if well anchored.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
whitmw

12 ft tall at the sides. No leveling needed, they are going to strap it down with some kind of stakes they use here for mobile homes. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
byrdr1

go with 18 wide if you can. You will appreciate the extra room for slides and awning. As long as its wind certified you will be OK. Yes they do use mobile home type tie down for the wind and it will have extra bracing on the top and sides.
Somewhere on here I have pictures of a 12 tall by 16 wide and 41 length rvPORT. I had to pay for 18 wide but only 16wide would fit in the spot I placed it. I think at the time I could have gotten 12 or 14wide then it jumps to 18 wide.. BUT I knew i wanted to fill the spot as much as i could.. I can get camper back into the site and then have off center a little and still open my slides but cant not open awning but a few feet. So that's why I say if you can go with 18 wide you will appreciate that..
JMHO
randy
PS I ll see if I can find a photo and attach a link.
https://flic.kr/p/pxbnrU

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
SADLY

Go high enough to fit a 13'6" RV (at a/c center height)..... And long enough to cover a 40' long RV.... Since you're buying now and the cost differential is probably minimal, upgrade proof your carport.
SADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
whitmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
go with 18 wide if you can. You will appreciate the extra room for slides and awning. As long as its wind certified you will be OK. Yes they do use mobile home type tie down for the wind and it will have extra bracing on the top and sides.
Somewhere on here I have pictures of a 12 tall by 16 wide and 41 length rvPORT. I had to pay for 18 wide but only 16wide would fit in the spot I placed it. I think at the time I could have gotten 12 or 14wide then it jumps to 18 wide.. BUT I knew i wanted to fill the spot as much as i could.. I can get camper back into the site and then have off center a little and still open my slides but cant not open awning but a few feet. So that's why I say if you can go with 18 wide you will appreciate that..
JMHO
randy
PS I ll see if I can find a photo and attach a link.
https://flic.kr/p/pxbnrU
Thanks for the advice and the link to the picture. I got nosy and clicked through some of the pictures there. There was a picture of an A1C Security Forces member in service dress. I am a retired SP and wore the same uniform for 20 years so I had to check on a fellow SP.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
bdaniel

I got a carport in 2002. It is 18' wide by 30' long and I think over 13' in the center. I paid about $1500 for it at the time. I now have a 37' 5th wheel and wish I had gotten a 40 footer.

But a shelter is the best thing you can do for your RV if you are going to keep it for a while.

Here is a write up and photos:

http://www.bobbystuff.com/rv/77/stor...or-the-wildcat

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:00 PM   #8
bdaniel

One more thing. Go 18' vs 12' wide so you can open the slides when needed while stored.
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #9
whitmw

Looks nice. Cant even touch one like that for $1500 now.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #10
Tinbender

Lots of good advice so far.
I have installed 2 metal "carport" structures for our travel trailer at different homes through the years and have found that; For me 14 foot wide is absolute minimum for an 8 foot wide trailer. Thirty two foot long is minimum for our 24 foot trailer, sun and wind blown rain have to be considered depending on orientation of the shelter.

Go with the heavier framing, extra bracing and make sure that the wind and snow load meet local code and you should be good to go. Might also consider adding a coupla extra roof sheets to bring the protection farther down the sides. Another consideration is adding a concrete curb/footing along each side for the structure to sit on and anchor to. This will give you a level surface and some extra strength for the anchorage plus a little extra height inside.

The price you quoted seems very reasonable but if it was me I would look at spending a little more for the upgrades if I had the means.
Just some considerations.
Tinbender
Tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:36 AM   #11
whitmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbender View Post
Lots of good advice so far.
I have installed 2 metal "carport" structures for our travel trailer at different homes through the years and have found that; For me 14 foot wide is absolute minimum for an 8 foot wide trailer. Thirty two foot long is minimum for our 24 foot trailer, sun and wind blown rain have to be considered depending on orientation of the shelter.

Go with the heavier framing, extra bracing and make sure that the wind and snow load meet local code and you should be good to go. Might also consider adding a coupla extra roof sheets to bring the protection farther down the sides. Another consideration is adding a concrete curb/footing along each side for the structure to sit on and anchor to. This will give you a level surface and some extra strength for the anchorage plus a little extra height inside.

The price you quoted seems very reasonable but if it was me I would look at spending a little more for the upgrades if I had the means.
Just some considerations.
Tinbender
Thanks. Definitely check into that. Half the area is concrete and the rest dirt I will surely need some kind of concrete footers.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:48 AM   #12
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmw View Post
Thanks for the advice and the link to the picture. I got nosy and clicked through some of the pictures there. There was a picture of an A1C Security Forces member in service dress. I am a retired SP and wore the same uniform for 20 years so I had to check on a fellow SP.
My son...He's out now and IS a local full time Firefighter/EMT.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Spending more for some upgrades is a good idea.

I would think you would want more than just a roof leaving the sides/tires open to the elements. I built one for my cars at our vacation home and had the sides brought down to ground level to minimize snow drift more than anything but it works well for UV protection as well- didn't cost that much more. Also had the front and back tops enclosed so they were level instead of having them angled with the roof.

12 ga. is the way to go with the heavy duty supports. The normal anchors are usually long rods driven through the lower rails with a large nut on top to keep the bottom rails from pulling out...not too stout. We had 8 mobile home supports drilled into the ground, in addition to those mentioned above, and then secured to the structure. We've endured 103mph winds and it wasn't phased.

I would recommend 14' high (straight line between the lowest points of the angled roofing) to give you room for growth, 18-20' wide so you can open the slides (my current storage unit is 15' and is inadequate) and 40' long (our storage unit is 50' and depth runs out quickly).

Good Luck. It's a really worthwhile addition.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:48 AM   #14
1l243

The first one I had built was 18x24 with 8 foot legs. The price was around $2200. The second one I had built was 20x41 with 9 foot legs. That gives you about 11'8" at the center highest point. I disagree that going bigger is not that much more money. Although I had some extras like enclosed rear, extra lengths of siding on each side and front gable cost $4800

I had to get a building permit because of 110mph required wind rating. The permit required engineering plans for the structure. The place where I got mine provided them for free. Another company wanted a extra $500 (a rip)

Both mine were on slabs and anchored with bolts

20x41

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote