Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
GMcKenzie

Hum from PI surge protector

Installed my PI surge protector last weekend. Should these things hum or is there a way to quiet it a bit? It may not be an issue but it is louder than I expected.

It's installed under my fridge where the power cord comes in. It as far as possible from the bedroom so I doubt it will keep me up at night, but just curious if others can hear theirs.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
Sparky

I would call PI. Post what you found out, I have the portable 50A but have not used it yet.
Pull Rite Hitch
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
RV 4 Fun

I have a 50 amp hardwired PI surge protector.
It hummed often when I first got it but not all the time and not much recently -when I called PI and discussed they indicated it was part of the 60 megahertz sound. They indicated to me it was not likely an issue and that while I could return the unit.....they asked me to try a fix first. As I recall it was to get a vaccumn and suck out any dust after disconnecting any power and removing the cover. But they indicated this noise was a common issue. I haven't done the vaccumn yet. As it hasn't done it consistently enough for me to dig into it and pull it out.
Hope this helps and hope your issue is a simple as mine.
RV 4 Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:53 AM   #4
GMcKenzie

I did email them. They did suggest vacuming it and rubber feet. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet but am going for 2 weeks so will have some time to play with it.

Was just wondering if it was a common problem.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:22 PM   #5
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
I did email them. They did suggest vacuming it and rubber feet. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet but am going for 2 weeks so will have some time to play with it.

Was just wondering if it was a common problem.
In my experience, some amount of 60 Hz hum from relays that are actuated with AC is fairly common. My hardwired EMS hums quietly to itself, but it is mounted in a location that makes it difficult for me to make out the tune.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #6
GMcKenzie

I'd prefer if mine learned the words.

Sitting here right next to the space it is located and can't hear it over the AC. May find rubber feet but I think I may have been fussing for nothing.

On the flip side, I know it did turn off last night during a thunderstorm. And this morning everything was working fine so I think it has done it's main job.