Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2015, 07:53 AM   #1
gearhead

Texas State Parks- good news

Cut & pasted from TP&W:

Parks are going to get even better, thanks to a historic funding breakthrough. This spring the Texas Legislature passed, and Gov. Greg Abbott signed, House Bill 158, sponsored by Rep. Lyle Larson and Sen. Craig Estes. The landmark law specifies that 94 percent of the state sporting goods sales tax may only be used to support state and local parks (the other 6 percent goes to the Texas Historical Commission).This dependable and steadily-growing funding source bodes well for the future of parks in Texas.

In keeping with the new law, this year the Texas Legislature stepped up to approve an unprecedented level of funding for parks. For the two-year, 2016-2017 biennium, legislators appropriated $179.2 million from the sporting goods sales tax for state parks/construction and $32.8 million for grants to create or enhance city and county parks across Texas.

One thing this means is state park visitors can expect to see cleaner, safer, and better maintained facilities. For 2016, most of the money will go for sorely needed capital repairs and improvements, addressing a backlog of deteriorating facilities, water and wastewater projects, restroom replacements, visitor center upgrades, and electric utility system overhauls.

The legislature helped in other ways too. For example, specific riders direct funding to plan and develop Palo Pinto Mountains State Park southwest of Fort Worth, and to plan and construct a new visitor center at Franklin Mountains State Park in El Paso, among other things.

A broad base of statewide support made this happen, including elected state leaders, Texas Parks and Wildlife Commissioners, nonprofit groups, industry professionals, local volunteer and friends groups and corporate partners. The coalition worked for many years through multiple legislative sessions to advocate for this breakthrough achievement.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
C130

Great news and much needed funding for our parks. I just read that Livingston State Park was closing their pool down permanently. I hope this funding will allow them to repair their pool and keep it open. Sure would be nice if more of the Texas State Parks got full hookups also.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
Bob Landry

Our elected so-called "leaders" are years behind in doing this. We have been paying a sporting goods tax for years which was supposed to go to Parks & Wildlife. The law was written so that the money collected had to be appropriated to P&W which never happened. They just let it go into the big black hole to be used to buy votes. So our Legislators are anything but heroes, they just got shamed into doing what should have been done for years.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
C130

Not surprised at all! I don't care for any of the politicians and I don't care which party they are in, they are all crooks. It's really a shame the shape a lot of the state parks are in around Texas. Things may have changed in other states also but the state parks in Tennessee used to be better maintained, not sure now. The one we had planned to visit this summer closed their pool down for a few months for renovation. But, at least they are renovating it and not closing it down due to needing repairs. I'm sure Texas isn't the only state letting their state parks deteriorate though.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:36 PM   #5
gearhead

I like the Texas State Parks and want to visit more of them. Me and TP&W don't get along though. I have had a 2 year running battle to get someone to maintain a boat ramp in my town. It's always "the money".
Bob Landry, you may have read me on 2coolfishing. Redexpress.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote