Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
Seabee

Ceiling fan in master bedroom?

My camper has provisions in the master bedroom for installing a second A/C unit. Since all the wiring is already there, I was thinking of using that wiring for a ceiling fan instead. Has anyone ever done this? My biggest concern is the ceiling supporting the weight of the fan. However, I am not going bigger than a 36" fan. Any insight into doing this modification would be great. Thanks in advance for the knowledge.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Larry1013

My 05 Outback Sydney has a ceiling fan in the living area. Attaches to the roof truss. 36" blade span. No problems with it or the weight. The fan I have came with wall mounted control to change speeds and direction. The control is basically spliced between the 12vdc source and the fan.

here is something similar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Volt-RV-C...107bdf&vxp=mtr

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
Pull Toy

If it will support an A/C, a fan should be a cake walk!

110v.power is already prewired there, just get a "Flush mount"... and don't jump on the bed! LOL!. A remote controlled one, or switches on unit, will save you having to snake wires, and mount a switch. We have a fan/light combo. The wireless remote has a remote dimmer function to add versatility . Check Home Depot or Lowes. (110v only) The one we have is designed to put into a wall box, but we cut off the dog ears, and throw it in the drawer.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:30 AM   #4
Seabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
If it will support an A/C, a fan should be a cake walk!

110v.power is already prewired there, just get a "Flush mount"... and don't jump on the bed! LOL!. A remote controlled one, or switches on unit, will save you having to snake wires, and mount a switch. We have a fan/light combo. The wireless remote has a remote dimmer function to add versatility . Check Home Depot or Lowes. (110v only) The one we have is designed to put into a wall box, but we cut off the dog ears, and throw it in the drawer.
Thanks for the reply Brother. My only concern with this whole thing is whether or not the electrical box in the ceiling will support the weight of the fan. I will be doing an inspection today to find that out. If the electrical box can hold the weight then I'm golden. I am a CE after all, I would hope at this point in my career that I can wire up a ceiling fan.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:56 AM   #5
PerryB

I wish you the best, but I dont anticipate that box being a suitable structural attach point. It was never intended to be anything but a terminal box. My thought is that its probably side screwed into a truss which WOULD be a good place to hang the fan. If you mounted the fan to the truss right beside the box, the base/trim ring would probably cover the hole, or very nearly. Any remaining gap could probably be filled with styrofoam and painted if necessary.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote