Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
TheBeans

Dinette-to-Chairs?

I'm wondering if anyone out there has completely removed their U-shaped dinette and replaced the table/benches with easy chairs/smallish recliners?

We love our rig and plan to have it a very, very long time. The one and only thing that I absolutely hate is that U-shaped dinette. Uncomfortable. Doesn't seat people easily. Table isn't in a permanent fixture so everyone's knees and ankles take a beating from the folding mechanism underneath the table top!

I've been thinking it might be better to have two smallish recliners in there, with just some regular old TV trays to eat our meals on, when we eat indoors (which isn't very often). The few things that I worry about are:

1) would two smallish recliners fit side by side in that space?
2) would those two smallish recliners add too much weight to the slideout, where the U-shaped dinette is?
3) would it be wise to get a slideout support pole (or two) if the weight issue is questionable or can the slideout mechanism handle it?

Just wondering if this is something that might be feasible or if it's just a pipe-dream that I should sooner forget about?!
Old 06-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #2
GaryWT

Not sure about the space you would have to measure the chairs to see if they would fit. As far as weight, I would not worry and also would not use any type of support as it could do more damage than good.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:27 PM   #3
b.d.keathley

Dont know but we re thinking about doing the same thing to ours
2013 Keyston Cougar 333MKS
2 15K BTU AC's
b.d.keathley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:50 AM   #4
koko

Is there storage under the seating? Would you be eliminating needed storage? Where would guests sit? Would you ever need an extra bed? it would probably be very comfortable, but have you thought of alternatives to the table-leg set-up? Weight on the slide shouldn't even be an issue - definitely no supports.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

We removed our standard dinette and replaced with a table and chairs for two. Storage was not a concern for us or extra sleeping. As others have said , no extra support is recommended. You may or may not have to rewire an electrical outlet.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
Steve S

My thoughts are if it'll make you happier then you should do it If you plan to keep it for a very long time then there's no real worry about the change doing anything to the devaluation.