Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2015, 05:34 AM   #21
Pmedic4

Where to put the light strip...

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't hooked our's up yet, but know we want them right under the awning. Getting the power is the key.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:31 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

"Right under the awning" meaning "on the trailer sidewall" or "on the awning roller" ?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #23
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
"Right under the awning" meaning "on the trailer sidewall" or "on the awning roller" ?
I put mine on the underside of the rail where it meets the wall. I have seen several factory installs there. May depend on the shape of the rail extrusion. But mine has a solid 1/2"+ there.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

I have seen plastic square C channel that the lights are glued into and that assembly has a C that slides into the rail between the awning fabric and rail. A smaller diameter cane is used.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:55 AM   #25
SmittysRV

Messin around the other day I put a LED strip light around one of the slides. It actually ended up working out pretty good. I only have a few pics when it was on a flashing color mode. It puts out good light when not flashing. I attached it at the furthest out flat spot on the slide. It doesn't interfere with the slide at all. I ran the power cord down to the bottom of the slide where I Velcro attached the remote sensor. I do have to run an extension cord from out of the outside outlets to the cord, no big deal and you cant even see it when zip tied up. Ill try to get better pics but this is what I have for now...I should have shut the big security lights off

https://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps7fb09er8.png

Tow Vehicle: 2006 F550 studded and bullet proofed!
Toys: 2012 RZR XP4 900, Yamaha WR450, TTR230 and 2 TTR90s.
SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #26
vanillagorilla

haven't been back on here in a while. but I did get my led strip kit installed before we went to Disney world,fl. got mine off of ebay for less than $25 shipped. 16ft strip. came as a 110 plug in. cut the wires and hardwired it in using some lamp wire from lowes. installed the strip below the awning on the side of camper. being on the side the awning helps to reflect the light downward. I ran the wires down the side of the awning using 1/4" 3m tape. then used a piece of hide-a-wire to continue down the side under the awning arms. ran the wires underneath to the front where the ground and hot wire connects to camper from battery. installed a manual switch with an inline(3A) fuse on hotwire. found out if I have any bigger fuse the remote box doesn't work as good or not at all with the remote. kept going to a smaller fuse until a 3A fuse worked. I think it was getting to warm and the infrared sensor was picking up heat from box and not remote. that is why I added a switch as back up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	8464  
Old 05-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #27
BigfootQA

LED lights

I ran the wire in a plastic track under the awning and drilled a hole into the camper. My kitchen cabinet is right behind and there is a raised panel in the back that supplies 12V to the under cabinet lighting. I grabbed power from there. Mine is an RF controller so I could mount the RF control unit under the raised channel in the back of the cabinet. I added a toggle switch so I could turn the main power to the controller on and off. I do need to have the main cabin light switch turned on but I can individually turn off the ceiling lights if I want to leave the awning lights on. I used RTV to hold the plastic track in place under the awning and plug the hole I drilled. So far it's worked great.
BigfootQA is offline   Reply With Quote