Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2015, 01:54 AM   #1
dave-g

quite ac unit

Has any one found a nice quite ac unit- In my cougar 325srx- i find the ac unit very noisy (fan noise). You have to turn it on low to watch tv. Kid want to shut it off at night to sleep.
KTM 300 xc-sold
ktm 450 exc-r
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:31 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

What's that old saying? "Build a better mousetrap and they will beat a path to your door."

It seems the nature of the beast, moving that much air in an enclosed box is what creates the noise. So far, nobody has come up with a "cost effective" way to move air silently. The newer, "high cost models" have been incorporating a different technology, called "quiet cool" technology. From what I've seen, it's simply "ducting the return air from the sides, rather than from the central grill (which is noisy). So far, it hasn't caught on in the less expensive models. Will it? Who knows.

In the meantime, if you happen to find a way to make current air conditioning systems "less obtrusive", prepare the concrete, you'll have a path to cover !!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
michael_h

Dave if you feel comfortable, get on the roof, pull the a/c cover, remove the metal access cover on top the condenser and check for mud dabber nest in the recessed areas of the condenser fan hub (there's a clip in there that holds the fan on and it's a favorite place for them little devils to make nest) I had a similar problem with my unit and that's what I found, it was quiet even on high after knocking all the mud out. . . . hope this helps
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote