Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #1
glc

Unhappy Pleated window shades

We bought a cougar 333mks 5th wheel last May I stored it outside in the Nevada heat all summer while I was building a garage for it. To cut down on the internal temp I closed all the window shades. When I finished the garage and put the unit inside. I tried to open the window shades and some of them had lost the pleat memory and just folded every direction. With extensive work I was able one pleat at a time get them in the open position, I left them up all winter properly pleated now that the weather is warming up they keep closing themselves and won't stay up the slightest touch and they fall down. Any suggestions as to what I can do to make them stay up I would like to have them up while traveling as I don't want the pleat problem again. Also my windows have a decorative wood frame around them that I can't for the life of me figure out how they are attached to the wall and I can't see how to remove the blinds without removing the surrounds should I have to repair or replace the blinds. Any ideas?
glc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
B&T

If they are similar to mine, tighten the cords on each side to the wall until they stay up but will still move up and down easily. I have fabric covered wood frames over my windows and there are screws buried into the fabric holding them to the wall. I took one off to install a shade and it was a pain but not impossible to do.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You may find that using a steamer you can get the blinds to "remember" their pleats LOL Also, as mentioned, tightening the cords by turning the bottom screws that hold the cords to the wall will usually keep them in position.

There are several internet sites that go into good explanations and repair procedures for the blinds. You can do a search on Google for "How to adjust RV pleated blinds" and find everything from youtube videos to parts houses with instructions and spare parts.
Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote