Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
nlievens

Thumbs down slide-out leaks in bedroom and living room/dinette

We bought a new 2008 Hornet Retreat in the fall of 08 and used it for about a month, then closed it up for the winter. The following summer (09) we discovered serious water damage in both the bedroom and dinette/living room slidouts. Both sides of the bed were soaked, and both ends of the dinette/living room slideout were wet, the dinette portion had soaked up water into the wood and was damaged, and the pantry closet wood was also water logged and damaged. The dealer tried to fix it 3 times over the course of the summer, then actually took it back in the fall, at the end of the 09 camping season, and had it for six months in order to fix it again. Same problem this year. Bedroom still has a leak on one side of the bed and the dinette is damaged once again, soaked underneath and the wood is absorbing the water again. Luckily it hasn't been a wet spring/summer so far, but we can't really tell how severe the leaks are because of that - kind of a catch 22! I have been back and forth with Keystone since March of 2010. The intitial phone call was all, like, we want our customers to be happy and we'll do what it takes, blah blah blah, but now all I get is "contact your dealer", "this is something the dealer needs to address", etc. The dealer has tried and cannot fix it, now it smells inside and shows obvious signs of water damage. I am still trying to deal with both the dealer and Keystone and am getting nowhere with either one of them. So much for standing behind your products! Once they get your money they don't care anymore. Will never buy a Keystone product again.
nlievens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
grive2400

Slide Leak & More

We purchased a 2010 Passport 245RB and have had the same problem. The upper front bracket on the slide has pulled the metal flange out and created a gap in which water can get in. I have been waiting for 4 weeks to have the warranty work done. We noticed this when we drove home in a down pour after having it snow on us the night before. The couch, valance and floor were soaked. Immediately took it to the dealer who put it in the garage.

After several days and prompting, we finally got some sort of answers. But it was my review of the trailer which is what I saw. See attachment photos. I have e-mailed everything I have to Keystone and have gotten the same response... "Take it the dealer", "Before you leave, do a run through and if you're not satisfied, let them know." Vincent has not been very helpful.

The whole trip started by parking and noticing all our rugs were saturated. The bed frame had water seeping from underneath and water was all over the floor. The Fresh water tank had a leak. A brand new trailer, third time out and now we have to dry camp until it is fixed. Dealer is getting a new tank, lumber to re-build the bed frame and who knows what else. We ended up draining the tank into our three 6 gal. water jugs (thank goodness we took them) and began to dry camp. Boiling water for dishes, bathing and buckets to fill the toilet to flush. I don't believe this was the first time that water had leaked. There are noticeable water lines on the wood to indicate there had been other times, this was just the first we noticed it.

We also noticed that the plumbing under the sink was all jacked up. See photo's as the reason why. AND yes, this is a manufacturing issue. Needless to say, the trailer has been in for warranty work more than we haved it out camping. Finally, I picked it up after two weeks at the dealership because they were "waiting" for parts. We have been dry camping for three weekends now and have not had the luxury of utilizing the trailer to it's fullest potential.

Here are some primary photos of what we have encountered.
Click image for larger version

Name:	FrntSlide_Top Bkt.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	103

Name:	Under Bed_Water Damage 2010 Keystone Passport_1.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	104

Name:	Front top Bracket Damage_Warranty_Slide.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	105

Name:	Under Kitchen Sink Plumbing First Repair (3).JPG
Views:	270
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	107

Name:	Under Kitchen Sink Plumbing First Repair (4).JPG
Views:	291
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	108

Has anyone else encountered any of these issues or similar? I have a blog started as well: http://www.2010keystonepassport.blogspot.com. Feel free to stop on by and preview it.

Thanks
grive2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
topcat

Unhappy slide out leaks

I was told by my dealer that the slide out actually leaks more when they are pulled in/ not out. Unfortunately, my husband when he put our trailer up for the winter, he pulled the slide in. It is parked 100 miles away on a lake. So of course, when we got there for the summer, it was a disaster. Cabinets falling apart. It looked like it had been sitting in the lake for months. Mold, etc. Would never stay in again, dangerous. Turned in to insurance, hope they total it out! But that money is down the drain! 2006 Keystone Hornet. It was a beautiful trailer. I suppose in the future we should inspect all slide out seals whenever we move it. Being female, not that I would even know what to look for. Of course, we kept the roof swept off, to no avail. Unless you can keep these in your backyard, so you can inspect them regularly, I'm not sure we'll get another one. We kept ours at the lake at a campsite with about 50 others.
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
grive2400

Slide Leak & More

TopCat,

That's tough! Sorry to hear your story. Doesn't give Keystone a very good reputation for their slides on any of the their units. If it's sealed and closed, It shouldn't have leaked. WOW. Good luck with your insurance company.

Todd G.
grive2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
Patrick Ely

Slideout leaks

I had a problem with all 4 slides on my Montana 3400RL when new. The slide flanges where it seals when closed were only sealed with pressure sensitive tape finished on the exterior. I had to remove all of the tape and seal with self leveling sealer. What were they thinking????
Patrick Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 02:19 PM   #6
Charlie60

I have a leak think is the seal it gets wet under the slide out driving or setting and drips water on couch the second picture you show has a peace hanging of the side it's looks to be 3 or 4 inch wide I only have one on right side to it looks like it's missing on left side
Charlie60 is offline   Reply With Quote