Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
mrflan

I added an extra air-condition to my cougar BUT >>

Greetings ALL,

I own a COUGAR X-LITE RV 28RBS 2012 model which I only use in the weekends. It had a power problem (the converter) which was replaced and the problem was solved.

A new 12,000 BTU air-condition was installed for me and a 50A circuit breaker was added in the RV.

My Powerehorse 9000 (7250 continuous watt) works fine with 2 air-conditions on.

But its 30A circuit breaker trips when I turn the fridge or the microwave on with the 2 air-conditions running.

Is my generator underpowered?

What size generator should I look for?

Do I need to find a 50A generator?

Kindly advise me.

Thanks
mrflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
DWM

I'm no expert but if you are saying you added a 50 amp breaker to your existing 30 amp setup without increasing the wire size then you may be living dangerously. To answer your question, yes you will need a 50 amp supply to handle that much load. I strongly suggest checking with an electrician to see if you need to increase the wire size from shore power all the way to breaker box. It may be a blessing you are tripping the 30 amp breaker on the generator.
DWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Bluewater

Agreed...2X AWM..dangerous.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Sherwood

You didn't state whether you upgraded to a 50 amp power center when it was replaced. You just said you have power problems and it was replaced. Was it replaced with a 50 amp power center? I'm assuming not since your generator has a 30 amp socket/breaker and not a 50 amp socket. If you did not upgrade, your playing with danger as your overpowering your 30 amp panel power center and power cord and thankfully your generators 30 breaker is tripping.
A typical A/C draws about 12 amps each while running not including start up for each. A 1000 watt microwave draws about 8 amps. That is why your tripping your generators breaker. You plug that in to shore power like that while running other things, your going to have big problems.
I would make it right and safe by upgrading to the 50 amp 120/240 volt power center and then get a generator that accommodates the 50 amp cord.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
mrflan

Thank you guys for replying and pointing to important points.

As for the converter, I did replace it with a 55 AMP unit. I was considering adding an air condition in the future.

Not sure though in how many wattage a generator would I need!

My RV has:

2 X 12000 BTU air-conditions

2 X 32" Flat Tvs

1 X 1000 watt Microwave

1 X Standard RV Fridge

LED Lights

Do these add up to a critical figure that I need to replace the entire 30AMP cord?
Old 08-28-2014, 05:54 AM   #6
DWM

Like i stated earlier and i am using this as a diaclaimer, i am not an expert or electrician. I do know that 30 amp service has one power, one neutral and one ground wire supplying power. the 50amp has the addition of a second power wire for a total of 4 wire supply. Trying to push the same amperage through one less wire will cause a lot of heat and is very dangerous fire risk. As long as you never hook up to more than 30 amp supply with 30 amp breaker you will be ok. Just don't plan to run much. If you ever plan to use more than 30amp(which you will with two ac units) then yes you need to upgrade all the wire from shore plug to power center. If not make sure your fire escapes are all functioning properly. Test them every day. Keep smoke detectors working. Also test them every day before going to bed. I never try to cheat with electricity.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:57 AM   #7
outwest

When you pull more than 30amp through 30 amp wiring, you'll eventually end up with a fire. Also a risk if you consistently run very close to, or right at, 30. So, if you changed the system out to 50amp but didn't upgrade the wiring between electric box in trailer and the connection on outside of trailer...

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:08 AM   #8
Terrydactile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrflan View Post

As for the converter, I did replace it with a 55 AMP unit. I was considering adding an air condition in the future.

My RV has:

2 X 32" Flat Tvs

1 X 1000 watt Microwave

1 X Standard RV Fridge

LED Lights

Do these add up to a critical figure that I need to replace the entire 30AMP cord?
The size/amp value of the converter has nothing to do with the 110V side of your RV. It only handle the 12V side of things. To run two air conditioner you will need 50 amp 110V service.
You can not safely add a 50amp breaker into a 30 amp box and use the same size feed wiring said box.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:21 AM   #9
outwest

Quote:

My RV has:

2 X 32" Flat Tvs

1 X 1000 watt Microwave

1 X Standard RV Fridge

LED Lights

amp= watt/volt
(2x1200) + 1000+240 + 400 (not sure what your tv and fridge are) = 4040
4040 / 110 = 36.73 amps
Not to mention that air units draw even more power when they kick on. They require even more amps for startup

Old 08-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #10
hankaye

Howdy All;

Don't claim to know to much about most anything, just try to think things
through as best as I can. That said, ...
If the "OP" still has the same wire and plug, and only changed/added a 50 amp
circuit breaker ("A new 12,000 BTU air-condition was installed for me and a 50 Amp.
circuit breaker was added in the RV."),
then "OP" stated;
"My Powerehorse 9000 (7250 continuous watt) works fine with 2 air-conditioner on.
But its 30A circuit breaker trips when I turn the fridge or the microwave on
with the 2 air-conditions running."
So, ... if "OP" hasn't changed to a 50 amp. wire with a 50 amp. plug (requires
4 wires), and wired the Power Center correctly for 50 Amp. then "OP" won't
be able to draw anything except 30 Amp.'s. The male plugs won't plug into
the other's female side ... talk about your square pegs into round holes theory ...
If "OP" has purchased a new generator with a 50 Amp outlet then he'll need
to re-wire the Power Center with a new input cable with the necessary 4
wires .....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:37 AM   #11
byrdr1

Quote:

My RV has:

2 X 32" Flat Tvs

1 X 1000 watt Microwave

1 X Standard RV Fridge

LED Lights

Right heres the problem.
YOu are trying to run two circuits with only a 30 amp cord. When you say 55 amp converter box thats got nothing to do with the 120volt side of things thats only for the 12v side of things.
You need to make sure your power/control panel not your converter is OK for 2 50a 120volt circuits not adding an extra AC on a ONE 30 amp 120 volt control panel.
MY unit has a 50 amp service. it goes to my control panel there I have two 50amp 120v main breakers and then it breaks off each side to power my rig. I have an AC on one 50a breaker and the other AC is on the on the 50 amp breaker. this allows me to run both AC's when I am plugged into 50amp at a campsite. plus other stuff as well.
I do have a 30amp cord that plugs into my 50a circuit, but do to its limited power rating I can only run one AC at a time and then I have to be careful with what ever else I run.
This is very high level for what you are trying to do! Please be careful..don't push your 30amp system beyond its max ratings. and the 55amp converter is mainly the 12 volt side of your rig.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:39 AM   #12
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrydactile View Post
The size/amp value of the converter has nothing to do with the 110V side of your RV. It only handle the 12V side of things. To run two air conditioner you will need 50 amp 110V service.
You can not safely add a 50amp breaker into a 30 amp box and use the same size feed wiring said box.
Good catch. I initially read it as the service panel inside was changed out to a50 amp panel but wiring from panel to outside of rv wasn't changed. In rereading, it looks like youre right, the service panel is still a 30 amp panel as well.

@OP - To be able to run both air units at the same time you will have to change your interior service panel to a 50 amp panel as well as replace the wiring between the panel and where outside cord connects to rv, and the outside cord will also have to be replaced with a 50 amp cord.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #13
DWM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
if "OP" hasn't changed to a 50 amp. wire with a 50 amp. plug (requires
4 wires), and wired the Power Center correctly for 50 Amp. then "OP" won't
be able to draw anything except 30 Amp.'s. .....

hankaye
That is not exactly correct. Amperage is determined by draw and not supply. Supply does have a means to limit draw via breaker. You can keep increasing the breaker to a point that draw will melt everything on the system while still using the 30amp cord if plugged into a source capable of allowing more than 30 amps. You can get higher than 30 amp single pole breakers. Plus breakers can fail to trip. Wire size is regulated by breaker size so if breaker size is increased then wires can be overloaded. Plug styles fit a specify amp to help prevent plugging into the wrong source. Keep in mind that most breakers in good shape will require more than the rated amount to trip them. This is to handle small short surges while still tripping for shorted circuits. Say it actually takes 35 amp to trip a 30 breaker, so you can be pulling 33 or so constantly till it finally heats up enough to trip. If there is a loose or week connection anywhere else it will heat up first and very easily catch fire before the overloaded breaker trips. It is never good to run close to max load continuously. That's what he will be doing if he doesn't upgrade to the complete 50 amp service.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #14
Sherwood

Bottom line, the OP needs to swap his current 30 amp power center out for the upgraded 50 amp power center and get a generator to accommodate the 50 amp 120/240 volt plug. The cost and labor may be a tad extensive but it will be small potatoes compared to a burnt up trailer or worse.
I don't know who would have installed a 50 amp breaker in a 30 amp system for you but as an electrician, I would have refused to do that. They should have talked you into upgrading to the 50 amp service once they added the second A/C unit.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
Old 08-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #15
mrflan

Greetings ALL,

Thank you so much for your extremely important points that I have taken in consideration. I am planning to upgrade the 120v service center to 50 amps and to replace the cord from the service center going out with 50 amps cord.

Now the next important question would be:

Can you please recommend a generator that would be capable to support my new system?

Thank you
Old 08-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #16
Sherwood

Any generator with a 50 amp RV socket will work. As far as a specific brand? Can't help you there. Needs, budget, ect will dictate that. Just google 50 amp generator.

Eric & Kim Sherwood