Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Smitty

Final warranty issues

I just posted a response to someone with a leaking shower issue and just noticed this catagory and thought I should comment here. I stopped at VanBoxtel RV in Green Bay Wi yesterday to ask about some warranty issues since my 1 yr will be up May 21st. First the leaking shower. Was told by Srv. Rep., caulking is only covered for 90 days. Then asked about top slide gaskets that squeegie across the top of the slides. Mine get stuck in and out across various sections of the slides and I usually end up climbing up on the roof and then lean over and run my finger under the gasket so it all lays flat on top of the slide roof. His response, that it is only a sweeper and that it keeps no water out, hmm think it may do more than that. Next, faucet in shower leaks, he said send him a picture of it leaking, I can understand that one. I,m going to try and fix first. Dealership is two hours away and really don't wat to leave trailer there for that issue. Last was a one time incident with the bedroom slide not extending and agreed that it was probably a voltage condition as the next day it extended fine. I am adding second battery to hopefully resolve future failures. Has anyone any comments on the slide gaskets (if that's what they are called)?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Handysam

Smitty, I had the dreaded bathroom faucet leak under the sink, noticed it on our second trip. I believe it was the cold side fitting up at the top under the faucet, fixed it myself, no big deal. As far as the slide sweeps, they need to be conditioned and cleaned with what I like is 303 protectant about every 6 months maybe more in your florida heat/sunny conditions, and yes should keep out water. Which brings me to my other point. If my dealer told me that the sweeps "keep no water out", I would ask for the service Mngr. and explain what the rep. told me. The shower leak if it's on the inside of the shower should be an easy fix. I assume this dealer is where you bought your RV?
Old 05-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
mrxlh

The rubbers on the slides are Wipers. There is a way to get them to "flip" properly, however, if you slide the slideout 3" you can flip them manually from the inside to keep from climbing up on the roof. (have read that light abrasive tape on top of the slide will get them to flip right every time, I have not done it on mine yet)

2008 Ford F350 CC LWB Dually
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2006 H-D FLHX
2010 Honda Rancher 420ES
mrxlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
wgb1

Smitty, I have wondered the same thing about the rubber gasket around the slide as well. Mine will be exactly as you described on top, with some sections still tucked under. I also go up a ladder and pull it out so it all lays evenly across the top.

I have also wondered about the gaskets down the sides. The last time out, I noticed the side gaskets were tucked in all the way on both sides, but I am fairly when I picked up the trailer at the dealer, the side gaskets were mostly out with just a few places tucked in. So, I have been curious if this is a malfunction, if it really matters and if anything should be done about it. I would think putting 303 on the rubber would reduce friction thus not allowing the gasket to flip out.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
Handysam

I would think putting 303 on the rubber would reduce friction thus not allowing the gasket to flip out.[/QUOTE] 303 will keep the seals conditioned and more flexible to move with the slide, other wise they will stiffen, crack and fall apart/fail to do what they are supposed to do. This is something important as far as maintenance that is failed to be mentioned in instructions and or by the dealer. Happy camping, Sam
Old 05-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
SLIMSHADIE

My dealer told me to use this product-twice a year,

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...nditioner/4546

It foams up like shaving gel, but works great. The rubber is soft as a baby's skin after using it. I dont have any issues with my wipers not extending out either?

I'm still using the original can, starting on year 3. I use it on the wipers and "ALL THE DOOR GASKETS".

per instructions: no wiping; I spray it on the gasket or on an old sock and always wipe the gasket, probably twice!

303 is good and i use it on the tires, but its kind of greasy.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:53 AM   #7
Smitty

The conditioner for the sweeps is what I'm going to try. Think I'll do the longest slide first. The service dept guy mentioned this but he told me that they served only a cleaning function and really kept no water out. When they are warm they seem to stick less so I believe the conditioner will work. I'll order some and post results.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:08 AM   #8
cdevill

I found a good gasket/seal conditioner at Walmart one day when I was picking up some things and just seeing what all they had. I use it on all the gaskets and also on all the door seals of my other vehicles as well. As far as the top slide seal I always have my ladder with me so I just climb up after the slide is out about a foot and then flip them if need be or just make sure that they are all flipped. It may just be a wiper but with that gasket flipped out it can't hurt at all for keeping the water out.