Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2014, 04:58 AM   #1
fred

hot water heater

Hello i have a 2012 avalanche and am having a problem with hw heater. Every time oven is used and we have went to use hot water we have none and have to reset the hw heater when on gas then works fine as long as oven not used. Any suggestions would be real helpful. Thank You
fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:38 AM   #2
Javi

Okay...

1. is this when using propane only on the HWH or does it occur when using the electric heating element.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:57 AM   #3
fred

only in gas mode can`t say on electric do not use it much in electric
fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

If I understand its either one or the other that work but not both at same time. Sounds like not enough gas volume to feed both at same time. Did you have same issue when your tank was full? Is tank neally empty ? Both tanks on?
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Three questions:

1. Is this a new problem? or has it been this way since the RV was new?
2. Have you checked the HWH burner orifice and the burner tube for spiderwebs/wasp nests since dewinterizing?
3. Have you checked to make sure your propane tanks are relatively full and that the auto change regulator is turned to the correct tank?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
bobbecky

This may be a problem with the excess flow restriction built in to the system. That may not be the proper term. Regardless, if, when you fill a tank, and then re-install it and turn the valve on too fast, or if there has been a rapid leak, the system will only allow a small amount of gas to flow, which would cause what you are experiencing. The resolution to this would be, turn off the valves on both tanks, disconnect the hoses from both tanks to relieve pressure in both lines, then reconnect the lines, and finally, SLOWLY open one valve at a time. Now you will have full flow capacity in your propane system and both your HWH and your oven should work together.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
Hoojs12840

hot water heater

Bobbecky I think has it right. My last RV, if I replaced the tanks after refill my fridge would work fine, but the stove would light and die in seconds. Never tried the HWH at that time. I was at a campground and flipped out thinking I had a propane leak, then a nice retired man saw me all upset and came over and showed me what I did wrong turning on the gas to fast. The safety device/excess flow restrictor is designed to shut off gas should you develop a leak. Amazingly sensitive technology nobody tells you about when you buy these things.
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote