Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #21
Jim Dow

In-Bed Harbor Freight Truck Body Crane

I purchased a short crane from Harbor Freight and mounted it in the passenger-side rear of my TV bed - see photo.

It has been good enough; and I don't have to move or store it.

As far as the generator, I use the Honda 3000si generator; and I have the larger Honda 6750si also. Both are super quiet. The 3000si powers the AC; while the 6750si will power the entire camper.

Also, I use the generators during tornado/hurricane season when we get un-lucky.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TruckToolboxHoist.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	5513  
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #22
Festus2
Site Team

Update on BE3500 - "Did I Get What I Paid For?" For the $800 I paid for an inverter generator of this size - probably.

Noise: It's noisier than advertised but that's to be expected. Comments from nearby campers in adjacent sites were "polite" and were of the "It's ok" variety. Nobody said that they could hardly hear it so in that sense it was a bit disappointing. Since it is rated at 3500/3000 watts, I would think that it would be noisier than a 2000w for example.

It was too cold to bother with the A/C and we were more concerned with running a space heater than with cooling down the RV. The generator had no problem dealing with a coffee pot and a portable 1500W heater. Next trip I hope to test out the A/C and a combination of some other appliances.

Starting the generator -- requires more pulls than usual. I was expecting it to fire up after 2 or 3 pulls but this didn't happen. For some reason, it is taking a few more pulls to get the thing going. Disappointing.

Portability - at 70+ lbs it is no lightweight but manageable as long as I don't have to lift it too high. When moving it over a longer distance, I put it into a bin and my DW gets on one end while I grab the other and we can manage it ok.

The "soundproofing" box I quickly fashioned didn't work out too well. There wasn't enough ventilation and the interior became too hot. Will scrap that and re-work this plan. I don't want to end up with a large, cumbersome box - storage of that is a concern. Might have to look at carrying the generator and future soundproof box on the pull-out bike rack/platform.

In retrospect, I probably should have bought a smaller generator, say 2000-2500w, which would be lighter and quieter. We seldom use the A/C where we camp and travel so having a generator that will run the A/C isn't crucial. Chalk this up to poor planning on my part.

For the $800(Cdn) I paid I shouldn't complain too much so I guess I did "get what I paid for".
Old 04-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #23
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Update on BE3500 - "Did I Get What I Paid For?"
For the $800 I paid for an inverter generator of this size - probably. It's noisier than advertised but that's to be expected. Comments from nearby campers in adjacent sites were "polite" and were of the "It's ok" variety. Nobody said that they could hardly hear it so in that sense it was a bit disappointing.

It was too cold to bother with the A/C and we were more concerned with running a space heater than with cooling down the RV. The generator had no problem dealing with a coffee pot and a portable 1500W heater. Next trip I hope to test out the A/C and a combination of some other appliances.

Starting the generator -- requires more pulls than usual. I was expecting it to fire up after 2 or 3 pulls but this didn't happen. For some reason, it is taking a few more pulls to get the thing going. Disappointing.

Portability - at 70+ lbs it is no lightweight but manageable as long as I don't have to lift it too high. When moving it over a longer distance, I put it into a bin and my DW gets on one end while I grab the other and we can manage it ok.

The "soundproofing" box I quickly fashioned didn't work out too well. There wasn't enough ventilation and the interior became too hot. Will scrap that and re-work this plan. I don't want to end up with a large, cumbersome box - storage of that is a concern. Might have to look at carrying the generator and future soundproof box on the pull-out bike rack/platform.

In retrospect, I probably should have bought a smaller generator, say 2000-2500w, which would be lighter and quieter. We seldom use the A/C where we camp and travel so having a generator that will run the A/C isn't crucial. Chalk this up to poor planning.

For the $800(Cdn) I paid I shouldn't complain too much so I guess I did "get what I paid for".
Thanks for the refreshingly honest review.

"Money's worth" is truly subjective. Only the buyer/user can weigh in

Sound like it's doing what you want.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote