Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #1
Krg2383

Repair delays

Just curious how others have made out recently. I am waiting on new parts to fix my outdoor kitchen, had door open when traveling and it ripped off. Been in shop since beginning of October. Last I talked to shop it was on back order with no known fill date yet.
Krg2383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
Folkie

We have been waiting on a replacement slide topper (warranty issue) since OCT 12th. Consensus is that vendor production is down due to Covid19 and what is getting out their doors is going straight to new camper production. In our case, the topper size we needed was still available in back in OCT for new sales but they are dragging their feet because it is a warranty issue. Dealer was hoping to get it in DEC so I guess I need to poke them again next week. Best of luck with your repairs.
Old 11-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
JDDilly

I have a couple warranty parts I am waiting on. The dealer had us pick it up and we scheduled it for early next spring.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:39 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Depending on what parts from what company it could be a wait. My KeyTV was faulty among other things. Took it in Aug. for various repairs including the Key TV. They ordered it straight away. When I left the first week of Nov. the KeyTV material still was not in. They did get my replacement shade in pretty quick.

They are going to complete those repairs when I get back along with a few other things that have cropped up on this trip. It will be after the warranty expires but Keystone said it isn't a problem since they happened prior to warranty expiration and I notified them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I no longer work at a dealership, and even us in an independent shop are having a very difficult time getting parts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:33 PM   #6
Summergirl

Parts are getting hard to find. New units are being built and the parts go there first. Warranty work is down the line. They don’t make money on warranty.
It took my brother in law 6 month for the door he ripped off when he forgot to shut it.
He just cut a sheet of plywood and used his trailer till it arrived.
We have been waiting for our trailer to come back from a floor replacement. It took 4-6 weeks to just get the parts from the east coast to the west.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
Dhuhn

It took 3 months to get parts it’s due to supply chain There is a sign at my dealer that’s says it could take up to 3 months to get part.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:08 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Many of the parts are manufactured in the far east, shipped in container ships to the west coast, sit on the docks until they are "released by COVID inspectors as well as "regular customs inspectors" and then sit on the dock until a trucker picks up the load and takes it to a warehouse where it sits for COVID inspection, then gets added to the inventory, then sits for a trucker to pick up the load and take it to the factory where it's put in the inventory and if not needed for a new trailer, it sits for a trucker to pick it up and take it to the dealer where it's "first come first served" and if you're the third or fourth customer waiting for a furnace part or for a door, well, you get the idea....

What used to take 3 or 4 weeks (in good times with lots of inventory) not takes 3 or 4 months (if things go well) or even longer if it's a part the contract expired on and China isn't renewing contracts because of the political uncertainty right now.....

So, yup, things will probably get worse (slower) before they get better (faster).....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:23 PM   #9
gearhead

Ours went in the shop early October for tire blow out body damage repair. Waited in line for the shop estimate, waited for insurance adjuster, waited for parts. Then while pulling it in the shop to finally work on it they hit the front AC on a ceiling joist and waited on a unit to replace it. Now waiting on a supplemental approval from insurance. After a while it just gets where you laugh to avoid crying. We had no travel plans so all's well that ends well.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #10
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Ours went in the shop early October for tire blow out body damage repair. Waited in line for the shop estimate, waited for insurance adjuster, waited for parts. Then while pulling it in the shop to finally work on it they hit the front AC on a ceiling joist and waited on a unit to replace it. Now waiting on a supplemental approval from insurance. After a while it just gets where you laugh to avoid crying. We had no travel plans so all's well that ends well.
Sometimes it's very hard to "Roll with the punches"..
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

And many folks are paying monthly for the camper and the insurance while it sets rapidly depreciating in value. Good times!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:11 PM   #12
Sarge2

I remember the old expression.. "must be on a slow boat from China"... seems that is actually the case as of late...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #13
dutchmensport

I haven't had any repairs or fixes or upgrades on mine for over a year and a half. Probably the last time mine was in the shop was June 2019, long before the Covid "thing" happened. Back then, the wait time was still 3 months out for even the simplest item to be fixed. I was so frustrated with the long delays for everything, I started using a different dealership and just paying for repairs out of pocket. Fortunately, with the extended warranty / service plan and going to a different Keystone dealership, they honored everything as they also used the same company for warranties and such.

But the wait time was still 2 months out. But at least, they would let me bring the camper in, they'd take a quick look, see what the problem is, and figure out what parts needed to be ordered and let me take the camper back home immediately. They would set up a tentative appointment for the actual repair and meanwhile, they ordered the part. When my appointment came around, they had the part, I could drop it off in the morning and pick it back up in the afternoon.

Whereas the original purchasing dealership would take the camper and hold it hostage for months!

Now, remember, this was 3/4 of a year before the Covid situation happened. So, if your wait time is just a couple months right now, call yourself lucky!
Old 11-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I haven't had any repairs or fixes or upgrades on mine for over a year and a half. Probably the last time mine was in the shop was June 2019, long before the Covid "thing" happened. Back then, the wait time was still 3 months out for even the simplest item to be fixed. I was so frustrated with the long delays for everything, I started using a different dealership and just paying for repairs out of pocket. Fortunately, with the extended warranty / service plan and going to a different Keystone dealership, they honored everything as they also used the same company for warranties and such.

But the wait time was still 2 months out. But at least, they would let me bring the camper in, they'd take a quick look, see what the problem is, and figure out what parts needed to be ordered and let me take the camper back home immediately. They would set up a tentative appointment for the actual repair and meanwhile, they ordered the part. When my appointment came around, they had the part, I could drop it off in the morning and pick it back up in the afternoon.

Whereas the original purchasing dealership would take the camper and hold it hostage for months!

Now, remember, this was 3/4 of a year before the Covid situation happened. So, if your wait time is just a couple months right now, call yourself lucky!

David I think you bring up an excellent point. Seems like lots of folks think that when they take a unit in then it just has to sit until it comes out - not true unless it's an issue that takes the unit out of service. Some dealers don't like to do it, but there is no reason to take your RV in for a minor issue (broken blind, Key TV module etc.) and have it sit on their lot so you can't use it and they can have it there to break, mar and damage for 3 months.

Get the understanding up front; I've got these issues; assess them and what is required to fix them; take the pictures and do the documentation then give it back to me. When all is received and ready call me with the date a bay will be ready and I'll drop it off and they can begin work immediately. I've sat several months without a trailer waiting on repairs and the trailer just sitting on the lot for an extended period is one of the most destructive things that can happen to it.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #15
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
David I think you bring up an excellent point. Seems like lots of folks think that when they take a unit in then it just has to sit until it comes out - not true unless it's an issue that takes the unit out of service. Some dealers don't like to do it, but there is no reason to take your RV in for a minor issue (broken blind, Key TV module etc.) and have it sit on their lot so you can't use it and they can have it there to break, mar and damage for 3 months.

Get the understanding up front; I've got these issues; assess them and what is required to fix them; take the pictures and do the documentation then give it back to me. When all is received and ready call me with the date a bay will be ready and I'll drop it off and they can begin work immediately. I've sat several months without a trailer waiting on repairs and the trailer just sitting on the lot for an extended period is one of the most destructive things that can happen to it.
Sorry, but new to this. My situation:

Blown tires during the summer while on a cross country trip from AZ to OH. After failures, limped to nearest OH Camping World, (where failure occurred) - the RV was purchased new in Dec 2019 from CW in AZ) CW OH determined the axles were defective. CW in OH ordered and replaced both axles while we were there and sent me on my way...stating I could get rest of cosmetic repairs done when I arrived back home. Got home and made appointment for these additional repairs as well as a presumed warranty repair for a non-working/out of alignment awning. Called in August and got a drop-off appointment for Nov 13 (earliest available).

So, question....how can they know exactly what is needed unless they see and troubleshoot the RV in person? When I made the appointment they didn't seem all that interested in what I described my issues to be....the fact that CW in Akron provided me paperwork, with the outstanding work was of little interest to them...other than advising I bring it in with me to the appointment.

So, at least as far as CW is concerned, unless they see it and confirm it, it don't exist....even if another branch in the chain has already given it a look. Perhaps smaller dealers are more forgiving, but as far as CW is concerned, don't see how I can get anything done without dropping the unit off and waiting.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:49 PM   #16
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post

Blown tires during the summer while on a cross country trip from AZ to OH. After failures, limped to nearest OH Camping World, (where failure occurred) - the RV was purchased new in Dec 2019 from CW in AZ) CW OH determined the axles were defective. CW in OH ordered and replaced both axles while we were there and sent me on my way...stating I could get rest of cosmetic repairs done when I arrived back home. Got home and made appointment for these additional repairs as well as a presumed warranty repair for a non-working/out of alignment awning. Called in August and got a drop-off appointment for Nov 13 (earliest available).

So, question....how can they know exactly what is needed unless they see and troubleshoot the RV in person? When I made the appointment they didn't seem all that interested in what I described my issues to be....the fact that CW in Akron provided me paperwork, with the outstanding work was of little interest to them...other than advising I bring it in with me to the appointment.

So, at least as far as CW is concerned, unless they see it and confirm it, it don't exist....even if another branch in the chain has already given it a look. Perhaps smaller dealers are more forgiving, but as far as CW is concerned, don't see how I can get anything done without dropping the unit off and waiting.
The way I see it - some CW's care and some don't. Mine doesn't (didn't). You may need to take your issue up the ladder to a service manager and put your foot down.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:10 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post

Think about it this way; each CW dealership is individually managed. Each dealership is responsible for their own decisions....and assessments. When I have an issue and have someone give me their assessment I vet that decision. If you just took a unit in to a dealer for "work" to be done and then they made a work list for the next dealer....that wouldn't make it by me until MY folks looked it over. Warranty work is not a money maker for a dealership so what "those guys" said, and any questionable assessments they may have made, rests on me - we do it again. Perfectly understandable to me.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:19 AM   #18
SummitPond

I've had interactions with CW, a small mom & pop dealer, and a larger mom & pop dealer.

With CW, you drop it off and take your chances. For the two appointments with CW I made (at two different sites) I still waited over an hour before being able to be processed in. Fortunately one turn-around time was relatively quick (less than a week) while the other time was extended (too long ago to recall the exact timeframe).

With the small mom & pop shop, I let them know the problem (the converter blew); they pre-ordered the parts and the trailer was repaired the same day.

With the larger mom & pop shop (they now have four sites) I was terribly unimpressed with their organizational skills at the front desk, but I have no complaints about the quality of the repair work. Prior to the final repair, I had the TT in twice while under warranty to address the dump valve actuators: one needed to be Charles Atlas' twin brother to operate them. I'm certain the service manager directed the "repair" to be lubrication versus replacement. Eventually, with enough belly-aching on my part, the valves were replaced - and three months on they still work as they should have all along. But getting to this point required the trailer to be in their shop numerous times, and the last time a part was mis-ordered so I had to take it back twice. Their estimated time-to-repair was woefully inaccurate (you'll have it in two days; yet six weeks later ...) and temporarily pulling it out of the shop was not an option, as by that time the black tank valve was stuck open.

I recognize an RV dealer is not like an automobile dealer, but this is still no excuse for haphazard management of the service department. Yet it seems to be endemic: the good RV repair shop is a treasure - just far and few between.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:59 AM   #19
Bill-2020

I do all my own repairs, even on warranty items. Last repair they (CW) attempted was on a different trailer. They said the fridge door was bad (fridge was chasing temps), they ordered a new one, a month later they called and said come get it. I took it home, plugged in and still had the same problem. It wasn’t fixed. I talked to them again and they admitted they only replaced the door, they didn’t test it again. You should have heard me and the four letter words that came out of my mouth after I hung up (slammed down) the phone. What a disaster. Never again at this CW.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:22 AM   #20
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I do all my own repairs, even on warranty items. Last repair they (CW) attempted was on a different trailer. They said the fridge door was bad (fridge was chasing temps), they ordered a new one, a month later they called and said come get it. I took it home, plugged in and still had the same problem. It wasn’t fixed. I talked to them again and they admitted they only replaced the door, they didn’t test it again. You should have heard me and the four letter words that came out of my mouth after I hung up (slammed down) the phone. What a disaster. Never again at this CW.
If I can't do it myself, I have a good independent RV repair person who is certified warranty for most things in the RV.. No fuss no muss..