Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
gearhead

H2 as a fuel and the Beatles

An interesting read, for me anyway...
https://rbnenergy.com/help-making-se...-hydrogen-buzz
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 11:06 AM   #2
notanlines

I swear, I thought we were discussing tires and load capacity for awhile!😋 And then we read about the Beatles and it improved appreciatively.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
Badbart56

I remember reading articles about this twenty years or so back. Never got off the ground. They couldn't build an adequate fuel tank for vehicles and had issues producing enough IIRC. So what has changed so that this will work now?

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
LHaven

Lot of weasel wording goes on about what is a "fuel" or an "energy source." Anything where you have to put X+ϵ energy in to have X energy available later is merely a battery. The "green hydrogen" in that article fits that description. It may let you transport stored energy more effectively, but it doesn't create energy. The transformation process actually loses energy.

A true energy source is mined -- pre-existing, stored somewhere in nature, extracted, and exploited. Some, like nuclear and (they say) petroleum are non-renewable, some like solar and wood are renewable. The mining (acquisition) process is what introduces the net gain into the world's complement of available energy.

Inasmuch as any "waste" hydrogen may be an existing byproduct of one of these processes (e.g., petroleum mining), it is an energy source, but apparently just not a major one. Now, the day we can scoop up tankers of LH2 from the Jovian atmosphere, hydrogen might come into its own as a major energy source.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #5
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I swear, I thought we were discussing tires and load capacity for awhile!😋 And then we read about the Beatles and it improved appreciatively.
LOL I needed a break!
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 11-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #6
gearhead

H2 is fairly common in the process streams in refineries and chemical plants, particularly Olefins plants. In the Olefins plant in our complex we saturated petroleum liquids with H2, removed the sulfur, then ran it through a debenzenizer and came out with a high octane gasoline blend. H2 was pretty much everywhere.
Sounds like there could be some future in enriching ethane with H2 as a fuel for power generation.
The RBN daily blog is usually good reading. Rusty Brenner is a sometimes guest of Cramer on CNBC. They usually title their blogs as a song title and that is sometimes better reading than the blog itself.
Me, my son, my son in law and a lot of my neighbors are employed in energy. I try to keep up. I miss it.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-09-2020, 12:02 PM   #7
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Lot of weasel wording goes on about what is a "fuel" or an "energy source." Anything where you have to put X+ϵ energy in to have X energy available later is merely a battery. The "green hydrogen" in that article fits that description. It may let you transport stored energy more effectively, but it doesn't create energy. The transformation process actually loses energy.

A true energy source is mined -- pre-existing, stored somewhere in nature, extracted, and exploited. Some, like nuclear and (they say) petroleum are non-renewable, some like solar and wood are renewable. The mining (acquisition) process is what introduces the net gain into the world's complement of available energy.

Inasmuch as any "waste" hydrogen may be an existing byproduct of one of these processes (e.g., petroleum mining), it is an energy source, but apparently just not a major one. Now, the day we can scoop up tankers of LH2 from the Jovian atmosphere, hydrogen might come into its own as a major energy source.
The big battery and look how they are charging it...
https://www.rigzone.com/news/equinor...64048-article/
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 12-09-2020, 01:44 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

I always laugh when I here solar energy referred to as "renewable". Does that mean when the sun finally goes dark they figured out a way to relight it? How long would you have to hold that pilot light in?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:39 PM   #9
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I always laugh when I here solar energy referred to as "renewable". Does that mean when the sun finally goes dark they figured out a way to relight it? How long would you have to hold that pilot light in?
It's renewable like Doritos.
"Use all you want today -- tomorrow, we'll make more!"
Old 12-09-2020, 07:44 PM   #10
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
The big battery and look how they are charging it...
https://www.rigzone.com/news/equinor...64048-article/
So they're creating another wind farm, which is already a failed promise, and turning the energy into hydrogen instead of electricity.

Talk about hitching your wagon to an boulder.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:08 AM   #11
gearhead

Quote:
So they're creating another wind farm, which is already a failed promise, and turning the energy into hydrogen instead of electricity.

Talk about hitching your wagon to an boulder.
They will create the H2 by charging brine from wind turbine electricity, then using the H2 to fuel power plants. These folks are supposed to be smarter than me. Apparently I'm so dumb I don't see it.
2023 CanAm Defender SXS

Tags
fuel