Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
Mikey P

2001 Keystone Columbia

Is there a separate thread dedicated to this model? I have a winterization question.
Mikey P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Typically there's not much difference model to model when winterizing. Ask away and I'm sure someone can help.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #3
Mikey P

Looking for the bypass for the water heater as there seems to be no access to that area of the heater.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The last thread on the forum that I'm aware of that discussed a Columbia model was back in the 2009/2010 time frame.

A 2001 Columbia is now a 20+ year old trailer. Chances of someone having a specific model from that line and that year is extremely remote. It's sort of like asking for someone with a 6 year old daughter with red hair that cut their right index finger when they were four. In fact, the Columbia is so "unique" (or rare) that it's not even listed on the Keystone website, not listed in NADA's RV section and all of the RV Trader listings for "2001 Keystone Columbia" are actually listings for other 2001 Keystone models, none of which are the Columbia line.

If you have questions, all Keystone trailers (from the first to the current models) are essentially incorporate the same features with different decor. Post your questions/concerns and someone will likely have an answer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey P View Post
Looking for the bypass for the water heater as there seems to be no access to that area of the heater.
The water heater bypass valves (you likely will have one on each pipe ) is located on the interior side of the wh. Where the wh is located outside, look for the same area on the inside. Often times it's located in a cabinet where you have to remove a panel to access it.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Your trailer will likely have a "two valve bypass system". It will look something like this photo. Some "entry level trailers" from the late 90's and early 00's did not come with a water heater bypass kit installed. Depending on what a previous owner may have installed or "skipped" your trailer may not have a bypass at all.

Here's what you should find if there's a 2 valve system. If it's a 1 valve system, you'll only find a valve on the cold water inlet connection which is on the lower connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH BYPASS1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	30865  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-20-2020, 03:50 PM   #7
Eastham

Some of the older trailer didn't have a bi pass .you could either buy a after market one and install it or just blow the lines out..
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:54 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

A little google fumbling and I found there were a bunch of Columbia models back in 01. They were in both bumper pull and 5th wheel configurations; stands to reason that since you didn't mention a model, the hot water heater will be in most any place. I have a 2002 and it has a single valve bypass; I remove the panel under the refrigerator and bingo. rear of the hot water heater with an obvious bypass.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:40 AM   #9
Mikey P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The last thread on the forum that I'm aware of that discussed a Columbia model was back in the 2009/2010 time frame.

A 2001 Columbia is now a 20+ year old trailer. Chances of someone having a specific model from that line and that year is extremely remote. It's sort of like asking for someone with a 6 year old daughter with red hair that cut their right index finger when they were four. In fact, the Columbia is so "unique" (or rare) that it's not even listed on the Keystone website, not listed in NADA's RV section and all of the RV Trader listings for "2001 Keystone Columbia" are actually listings for other 2001 Keystone models, none of which are the Columbia line.

If you have questions, all Keystone trailers (from the first to the current models) are essentially incorporate the same features with different decor. Post your questions/concerns and someone will likely have an answer.
I actually called Keystone and their info was so lacking of info the gal actually asked me if I was sure it was a Keystone or a Columbia. Maybe since I have a rarity, I should post pics and discoveries of mine. The bypass issue is still to be resolved. I have nom issue with installing a bypass but at this point I have no direct access to the back of the heater. I may have to create one. My water heater is located back by the entry door. Inside at that point is the bathroom. Right in front of the heater (on the inside) is a cabinet/closet with a large drawer underneath. Some have said the bypass could be by the pump (which is in the kitchen area) or behind some other plumbing access. I will look in those places at this point, I am thinking of just using air and trusting it takes all the water out. Thanks for all the input here.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:47 AM   #10
Mikey P

my Water heater is away from near the fridge in a separate place. I am not saying it isn't in that area but I would believe a bypass anywhere else but at the heater would be complicated to build that way instead of making an access to that area.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:10 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Do you know what the water heater panel on the outside of the camper looks like? The water heater will be on the other side of the exterior wall where that panel is. There is no other possibility.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:03 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I actually called Keystone and their info was so lacking of info the gal actually asked me if I was sure it was a Keystone or a Columbia. Maybe since I have a rarity, I should post pics and discoveries of mine. The bypass issue is still to be resolved. I have nom issue with installing a bypass but at this point I have no direct access to the back of the heater. I may have to create one. My water heater is located back by the entry door. Inside at that point is the bathroom. Right in front of the heater (on the inside) is a cabinet/closet with a large drawer underneath. Some have said the bypass could be by the pump (which is in the kitchen area) or behind some other plumbing access. I will look in those places at this point, I am thinking of just using air and trusting it takes all the water out. Thanks for all the input here.
Chances are very VERY good that the Keystone customer service rep that you talked with was in Kindergarten in 2001 and has no idea of what Keystone was building "back in the dark ages"... The same would happen with Ford Customer Service if you called them today and asked about the location of the fuel pump on a 1950 F1 pickup with a Ford flathead V-8 in it. Chances are very good that "CS rep" would ask you if that engine has a separate fuel pump or is it built into the motor...

You commented that there is a "large drawer" near the water heater location. On many travel trailers from that era, access to the water heater and the water pump was achieved by removing the drawer and "reaching in". On some trailers, there was a "false panel" under the sink or the vanity, remove the panel, crawl partly inside the cabinet and reach through the access hole to get to the water heater or water pump.

The most "well hidden" that I've run across required removing the stove/oven to reach down "inside the hole" to get to the water pump. Things have changed significantly in "modern times" but on your "dinosaur" buyer convenience was not a high priority in locating components or access to them.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-21-2020, 08:09 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

The video of the Columbia 5th wheel I posted has an almost identical layout to my camper and the water heater will very likely be in the same location. Perhaps. noting the model or taking some pictures might be helpful.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #14
Mikey P

Good news...........there IS a panel access to the bypass. Screws to that panel were VERY small. Once accessed winterizing is a breeze. Since the model I have is hard to find and troubleshoot, I can post pics of mine inside and out. In pretty decent shape for the year. I will post pics before I cover. Is there a specific forum for those kinds of threads for particular models?
Old 11-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Good news...........there IS a panel access to the bypass. Screws to that panel were VERY small. Once accessed winterizing is a breeze. Since the model I have is hard to find and troubleshoot, I can post pics of mine inside and out. In pretty decent shape for the year. I will post pics before I cover. Is there a specific forum for those kinds of threads for particular models?
It fits well in the Repairs and Maintenance section. Just start a new thread there and post away !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
keystone