Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2020, 03:05 PM   #21
LHaven

We had a rental cottage at the head of our driveway before a drunk tenant burned it down smoking in bed. Now it's just a concrete pad. But there's nothing wrong with the water feed and the septic tank, so now it's our ranch's private dump station.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:08 AM   #22
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
...I use to use the John Deere riding lawn mower as a tow vehicle...

What a great idea! I've been wanting a tractor! Maybe justification as a part of the RV dump process would get past the DW! I'll show her the picture!

THANKS!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #23
B-O-B'03

I have a macerator pump that attaches to the waste outlet on the camper.

I use it to dump at home and attach a 100 foot garden hose to pump into the guest bathroom toilet.

It works great and will pump the tank out faster than the flush system will refill it.

I figure I can also use it to pump into the blue tank, in the bed of the truck and then pump the blue tank out at a dump station if necessary.

-Brian
Old 10-08-2020, 07:58 AM   #24
bbells

If you have a drainfield, dump it in the first tank, not the tankclosest to the drainfield.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:07 AM   #25
Roy Finchville

I always dump as close to campground as possible. At 8 1/2lbs per gallon the extra 1/2 hour waiting at campground dump station saves me money and wear on bearings, etc. The more you dump in septic tank the faster it fills and more often you have to get pumped costing more money. Not getting it pumped causes lateral fields to clog and fail and then it costs $1000’s to replace if there is room for more lateral lines. Be mindful of these products they sell that are supposed to clean septic systems. The term ‘snake oil’ should be used in most.
Roy Finchville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:32 AM   #26
appraisersc

One thing some of us must consider is the the cleanout is located on the "county/city", side of the property line. That is their property and I was told by a county engineer that he isn't saying no but don't let him know. They have concerns about larger things getting into the lines and causing issues. I respect that so I only do it on the weekends.
appraisersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:06 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by appraisersc View Post
One thing some of us must consider is the the cleanout is located on the "county/city", side of the property line. That is their property and I was told by a county engineer that he isn't saying no but don't let him know. They have concerns about larger things getting into the lines and causing issues. I respect that so I only do it on the weekends.
This may be true where you live. It's not the case where I live nor m,any locations that I am aware of in several states.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:10 AM   #28
LewisB

Quote:
Not true in Arizona either. The cleanout is always located as close to the exit from under the slab (foundation) as possible. This puts it (say) about 5 feet from the house. I think the whole purpose of the cleanout is to be able to deal with issues between the house and the sewer line out in the street.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:11 AM   #29
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbells View Post
If you have a drainfield, dump it in the first tank, not the tankclosest to the drainfield.

I installed plastic round green lids over my tanks. I procured an extra lid and have a clean out to install in that lid if I ever get around to it in the event I want to dump down by my septic field tanks.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #30
Rwake901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob P View Post
Just curious if people take their RV home and dump the black/ grey water down their cleanouts? As most RVers know dumping at campgrounds etc are not always convenient and can be a long wait so we have a cleanout on the side of our house that I could access to dump and rinse out with out having to rush. Just wasnt sure if the cleanout could handle the rush of fluids etc. TIA for any input.
Yes, as a matter of fact I had a clean out installed near the road in front of my house just for that reason. I mainly use it for when I winterize the RV.
Rwake901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #31
RoadToad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
I have done it. My last RV (motor home) had a macerator which makes it supper simple. Used a garden hose and can pump it 100 feet.

Speaking of macerators, I don't see any mention of them here on this site. Anyone have one? I am thinking of adding one to our new TT as I like them..
Yes, we have a macerator and 5/8" garden hose.
Works great. And you can pump output directly into a toilet.
Ran a 12 Volt drop crd directly to the dump port location.

https://www.amazon.com/Flojet-185550...s%2C174&sr=8-5
RoadToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:30 PM   #32
Goliath-goes

I spoke to our town manager and got approval to t into our town septic line beside the house. I had wires already run for hot tub we no longer have so I put a 50amp box on a pole by the house as well and run water from outdoor spigot on house for full hookup just a so would at campground. This works almost like having a second apartment when family and friends visit
Old 10-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #33
Goliath-goes

I got permission from our town to do it. Just make sure t is installed proper direction. There’s a little deflector inside to send material right direction vs just hitting deadens at end of the run. I installed my pipe with a 1/4” bubble off level for good flow 4” clean out tee at other end
Old 10-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #34
dkluth

I do it all the time mine is about 30 feet away so i don't use it with the regular sewer hose i have a sewer solution which is the size of a garden hose which pumps it to the clean out while i use the tank flush on the rv, some city's seem to not like it but it is the same stuff from the toilet,but has a little bit of tank chemical. I would say go for it

Happy camping: Darren
dkluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:44 PM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkluth View Post
I do it all the time mine is about 30 feet away so i don't use it with the regular sewer hose i have a sewer solution which is the size of a garden hose which pumps it to the clean out while i use the tank flush on the rv, some city's seem to not like it but it is the same stuff from the toilet,but has a little bit of tank chemical. I would say go for it

Happy camping: Darren
Most municipal water companies charge you for water and sewer services. As there are no "sewage meters" at a residence typically your sewage rate is based on the water meter reading. If anyone questions tell them the water tank on the camper was filled at home and therefore disposal is "being paid".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:33 PM   #36
James R Moneypenny

Using home sewer dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob P View Post
Just curious if people take their RV home and dump the black/ grey water down their cleanouts? As most RVers know dumping at campgrounds etc are not always convenient and can be a long wait so we have a cleanout on the side of our house that I could access to dump and rinse out with out having to rush. Just wasnt sure if the cleanout could handle the rush of fluids etc. TIA for any input.
Should be no problem using home sewer, assuming you have an adequate size access pipe. You can even purchase dedicated pumps that will push the black water contents uphill into your home sewer.
James R Moneypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #37
maddogrdhg

Absolutely. Built a new home in 2012. Added a dump and flush setup by driveway heading to RV storage in rear of 3 acres. Store 3 RVs there. Sons and myself use it every trip as allows use on trip home but can dump/clean at home. Perfect.
maddogrdhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:52 PM   #38
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

Moist municipalities prohibit RV dumping into their system, but it's hard to enforce. I guess it depends on you and your respect for the law. I would check the local ordinance on this.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #39
jimborokz

We have municipal water but private septic system for waist. Our local govt. allows us to dump into that system and use our rig as a guest house but cannot leave the dump hose connected. All works great when the kids come home to visit along with that extra ice maker in the RV.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:07 PM   #40
B-O-B'03

Quote:
... They have concerns about larger things getting into the lines and causing issues...
What would be "larger" coming out of an RV black tank?

When I use my macerator, there is nothing "large" being pumped down the 3/4 inch garden hose, it pretty much makes pulp out of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Most municipal water companies charge you for water and sewer services. As there are no "sewage meters" at a residence typically your sewage rate is based on the water meter reading. If anyone questions tell them the water tank on the camper was filled at home and therefore disposal is "being paid".
The water "in" fee also includes what I put into the pool and sprinkle on the yard... I am way ahead on the sewer payments.

-Brian