Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2020, 04:04 PM   #1
Rocketsled

Should I be worried, or really worried? (Wrinkling wallpaper)

https://imgur.com/a/nJJOkCe

(This is back in the garage of a ‘17 Impact 312)

You know how you look at something and aren’t sure if it was that bad before? Well I know this would have stood out to me. Am I going to end up with the windows falling out going down the highway?!
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

Maybe.........

Windows are installed from the outside with an inner frame screwed on from the inside that squeezes the two halves together with the wall in between. If the window is loose enough, it will move around excessively while in transport and is likely contributing to the wrinkling issue. Some flexibility is necessary (otherwise you could just screw the window to the side of the camper and call it good). But don’t just try to tighten the frame and call it a day, there is probably more going on than you might realize (water leakage?). I would remove the window, get a roll of high quality butyl putty tape, apply (or reapply) to the window frame, and then reinstall and tighten it all up. Excess butyl tape should squeeze out over the course of a few days. Retighten snd clean off any excess, then clean around the exterior and then seal around the edges with Geocel ProFlex.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
Rocketsled

All good points. Late this summer we’ve been dealing with tire and alignment issues. We’re staring down the barrel of a $400 rv cover purchase...the windows may be a project for the spring. I’m a little afraid of stripping out the screws. If the base mounding diamondplate is any indicator.
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
notanlines

Mike, windows aside (Yes, there is probably moisture entering that area), I'd do a little checking where it comes to the cover. I'm sure you park under some trees or some such problem, but an RV cover is not always the best answer.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #5
michaelrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
All good points. Late this summer we’ve been dealing with tire and alignment issues. We’re staring down the barrel of a $400 rv cover purchase...the windows may be a project for the spring. I’m a little afraid of stripping out the screws. If the base mounding diamondplate is any indicator.
Just get butyl tape and remove the window. It's a very simple, easy process.
I found when installing to put all screws in and tighten screws all the way around, then keep going around until window is seated flat on both sides. Use an impact gun on a low torque setting.
Take your time and make sure all surfaces are clean before putting on new butyl tape. Then put a small bead of a good caulk, I used Dynaflex.
michaelrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

I would NOT use an impact.

Remove the window, then using a heat gun on LOW and a wet towel heat the wallpaper and smooth it out. Re install window, put a screw in each “center” and check for alignment. Then put the rest of the screws in. Put them in until the frames stop squeezing together anymore. Then trim excess and seal on the TOP and vertical edges only.

Pay attention to the inner ring and note where the ends come together, that way you can use the same holes.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #7
roadglide

I have the same problem on a large window . The wall paper cracked and the wood is clean with no water damage. I assumed they cut the window opening and damaged the wallpaper. The window shades cover it and only cosmetic .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote