Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
mj5150

2017 Raptor 412TS - furnace return question

I'm curious if anyone has blocked off the space under the stairs from the underbelly compartment.

When I pull the bottom grate off, I can see the furnace and what looks like an intake to the right side.

We're dealing with some mice getting into this area under the stairs. I was thinking about cutting a board to fit that opening and tacking it in to keep the mice on the other side of this opening. I'm referring to mounting the board to the steel studs up next to the furnace, not up where I removed the grate.
Per that vent/fan on the right side of the furnace, I would cut a hole so as not to impede air flow there.

We've successfully eliminated mice before, but this is the first time they came in this area.

I've come to learn from reading this website and others that an RV furnace does not operate like a traditional home furnace, so there is no true 'air return'. Still, air flow is necessary for the furnace to function as best it can.
In addition to keeping the mice out of this area, blocking off that opening would help stop the cold draft that blows in from this spot. Some nights we have the furnace running, which does a great job warming the coach, but then you can feel the cold air blowing in on your feet anyway.

I have always appreciated the help and kind words from y'all since we bought our Raptor in 2017. More than a few times, the advice I have received here either directly or indirectly has gotten is out of a tight spot, so thank you.

-Mike
mj5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #2
mj5150

Anyone?

-Mike
mj5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:28 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Just now seeing this. If you block/cover that return area, I’m thinking it might cause enough restriction to cause the furnace to overheat and shut down.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:29 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I had not seen it either. I'm thinking Chuck is right. I don't know exactly how much of those vents would be needed but I figure they built it with some thought of the volume required. I do know that I put a mesh bug screen over the exhaust of my last trailer and had to remove it because that tiny bit of extra restriction caused the limit switch to kick off the furnace so they're pretty finicky. You might try blocking one of them to see but if they're using one grate they can/will use both.

Have you tried sealing all possible points of entry from the outside? Do you leave the doors open? I know I went out to the little barn the other afternoon about dusky dark leaving the gate open. Came back in about 5 minutes later and closed it. When the outside lights came on just at dark saw a skunk wander by. He had come into the yard in that brief time I left the gate open. After scolding it good and proper and opening the gate it left but critters take advantage of any opportunity.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:49 AM   #5
ChuckS

My 2014 Alpine has furnace return vent on stairs as well... I block off with a piece of card board to keep out heat during summer... during winter use I remove to allow the furnace to breath better...

However... on our last trip just a week ago we used furnace in the early mornings for two weeks and I forgot to remove cardboard... temps were down to 17 degrees a few evenings.

Suburban furnace ran fine and had no issues ... there is a plethora of open space under the flooring with... in my RVs case small open holes that the furnace can draw outside air as well as the air in that huge basement and underflooring area

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #6
Andybutts31

I was always told those vents were for heating the under neath in cold weather, it let the furnace heat circulate and help prevent water freezing up in cold temperatures.

I have a 2015 412TS
Andybutts31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #7
JJaxon

If it is the intake, blocking it off will cause your furnace to overheat and shut down. If you are wanting to block it off when not using the RV furnace, temporarily place a piece of plywood cut to size in front of it to block the mice trail, tape it in place, then remove when spring comes and the rodents go back outside. Mouse traps baited with peanut butter is an easy kill method if you need to be on the offensive.
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:23 PM   #8
Brentw

I installed hardware cloth behind all my vents, air flow and mouse tight.
24" x 1/2" x 50' 19ga Galvanized Hardware Cloth.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:19 AM   #9
notanlines

"hardware cloth behind all my vents, mouse tight.
24" x 1/2" x 50'"

Sorry Brent, 1/2 x 1/2 isn't even close to mouse tight. From beesource.com:
"!/4" mesh is the size to use. Bees go through it fine but mice can't quite squeeze down that small, so it works great."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 07:01 PM   #10
Brentw

I should be more carefull what link I grab, couldn't remember what the mesh was called, so thats what I googled up. The stuff I actually installed is very fine, not screen door size, but pretty tight.
Good point, Appreciate the reply.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:15 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Hmmmmm

Thinking about the efforts to keep mice from going through the holes/vents in the stairs ???? If they're already in either the main cabin or in the front storage/passthrough/basement area of a fifth wheel, blocking those stair vents is only ONE of the many avenues for mice to travel "freely" throughout the trailer. The entire "covered basement", the holding tank area, the furnace ducting runs, the area under the shower are just a few of the "wide open spaces" for mice or other rodents to travel thoughout the trailer....

If you've got mice migrating through the stair vent spaces, you really need to "back up a couple of steps" (pun intended) and stop their entry into the trailer long before they get to the stairs....

It's sort of like putting screens on the windows and then leaving the front door wide open... You're still going to have problems, no matter how many windows you screen.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:16 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Out of sight out of mind? Until they chew thru the wires, the water lines, etc. Like John said, treat the problem not the symptom.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, raptor