Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
Fuzion1278

Self Leveling Jack Issue

I have a 2018 Fuzion 357 toy hauler. It has the standard 6 hydraulic jack auto leveling system. I'm having problems with the back 4 jacks "leaking down", several inches, when the camper is left in storage. It is happening more often, (in less time), as time goes on. Any suggestions or repair experience from others?
Fuzion1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
ChuckS

The left and right side mid/rear hyd levelers on the six point system are not connected to each other..

They are however in tandem mid/rear on each side

I rather doubt that both Hydac valves are faulty...there is one for each side...I’d suspect more likely you have air in the system ..system is self bleeding and can be bled easily

I would however check the manual override set screws for both of those Hydac valves..if the6 are not fully closed it will allow the hyd pressure to bleed off

The levelers are held retracted via 2000psi hyd fluid pressure
I also doubt that you have two internally leaking cylinders.... it would have to be one on each side to affect all four

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001901.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:27 AM   #3
Fuzion1278

Hydraulic Leveling

ChuckS - Thanks so much for the information and the LCI purge procedure document. I will definitely try this first. It does sound very logical.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
ChuckS

Hope it helps you out and please post back when t8me permits on your findings

Old 10-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
JJaxon

I keep a binder for things like this document. Might come in handy for me some day. Thank you Chuck.
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
I keep a binder for things like this document. Might come in handy for me some day. Thank you Chuck.

Goldwings are awesome...we have a 2004.. nice and nimble at low speeds and easy to maintain

Old 02-17-2021, 11:47 AM   #7
Fuzion1278

Final follow up on our 4 jacks that were "leaking down".

Just got the camper back and they, (Wildcat RV in Corbin KY), had to replace all 4 jacks. They said after running them through the rcommended factory test, the hydraulic bypass mechanisms were bad on all four. Luckily my extended warranty covered it because it was close to 4k for the jacks, freight, and installation. The warranty company balked at the diognosis at first but the mechanic walked them through his troubleshooting process and said he was told that his process and diognosis was correct after all.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:32 AM   #8
ChuckS

Quite Odd 4 hyd leveling cylinders bad.. mid and rear are tandem to each other and side to side are separate systems

I’d love to see the Techs step by step TS technique

Old 02-20-2021, 05:13 AM   #9
Fuzion1278

ChuckS - I agree, unfortunately I just don't know enough about the hydraulic system to question their findings.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:54 AM   #10
ChuckS

The thing most RV OPS and an heck of a lot of RV Techs dont seem to understand is HOW the six point hyd system is plumbed and what affects what..

Example.. the Frt LG are connected in tandem.. what affects one WILL affect the other BUT THEY WILL NOT affect the mid/rear levelers on either side

Each side is separate with its own Hydac valve to control fluid to the mid/rear leveler legs.. what affects one mid or rear leveler affects the other.. ON THAT SIDE ONLY

This system is the most basic and reliable system out there for leveling and will give many years of trouble free service if properly maintained

IF you have issues in the future and are out of warranty feel free to ask.. I am well versed with this system from front to back

Old 02-20-2021, 06:05 AM   #11
notanlines

I also am glad it worked out for you. That's the most important thing, But, like Chuck, I certainly would question the idea of all four rear jacks being bad.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:12 AM   #12
Fuzion1278

ChuckS

Much appreciated. If I continue with issues, I wil, definitely reach out.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:18 AM   #13
ChuckS

For future use and reference to keep your six point hyd system operating with least amount of issues I strongly recommend you get into this practice...
1. Clean and wipe down the exposed section of each hyd leg piston assy using either motorcycle fork oil or ATF fluid
2. Lippert over the years initially stated use silicone spray and now say use silicone spray with PTFE
3. There is a WIPER seal located on the bottom of each cylinder leg and its purpose in life is to "wipe" and clean the outer piston surface as it moves in and out of the assy
4. Silicone spray to me is a "feel good" practice and nothing more
5. If long term camping then perhaps spray with PTFE silicone spray to protect the surface from elements

BUT - before you retract those levelers get into the habit of wiping each one clean with fork oil or ATF and then retract

Those seals will last much longer and your system will be much smoother

YMMV

Old 02-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #14
travelin texans

Also realize that rv techs don't repair anything, they replace. I can almost imagine those jacks may only needed o-rings or seals, but it's easier, especially under warranty, to replace rather than repair.
In the future, after warranty, if you have issues take them to a tractor repair shop or a hydraulic repair shop, they can usually rebuild the jacks for about a 1/4 of the price of a replacement.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:14 PM   #15
jasin1

I wonder if they couldn’t isolate the problem and just threw everything at the wall to see what sticks... a lot of guys in my business have no idea how to troubleshoot and just order everything they can think of because one of the parts will end up fixing the problem..not so bad when in warranty for the consumer but the manufacturers lose out big time...one of the large hvac distributors I deal with started making the local guys pay for the replacement parts up front...the suspected part is then sent back to the manufacturer and if it’s proven to be a bad part then the credit is issued...in the past they lost millions on guys ordering every component in a unit just in case it was bad because they didn’t know how to diagnose.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Also realize that rv techs don't repair anything, they replace.
I know you didn’t direct that comment to me.

There are lots of “parts changers”, but I was trained to diagnose the issue and then correct it.

3C’s

Concern

Cause

Correction.

Replacement only if the correction calls for it. Lots of “techs” jump to conclusions and make the wrong diagnosis. Factory pays for repair and if it’s wrong, then the dealer is on the hook. Seen it lots of times, yeah I have goofed a couple of times but I’d like to think it’s rare.

Flat rate shops make this problem more prevalent, and the use of “medications” that sped up your metabolism. Only one dealership I worked at had a pre employment drug test. Even then, you could be “clean” for your test and then...

I’ll step down off my soap box now.

And to add: usually parts are required to be returned. If it tests good, dealer is charged for the part and labor is denied, BEFORE the warranty claim is paid.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:18 PM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I know you didn’t direct that comment to me.

There are lots of “parts changers”, but I was trained to diagnose the issue and then correct it.

3C’s

Concern

Cause

Correction.

Replacement only if the correction calls for it. Lots of “techs” jump to conclusions and make the wrong diagnosis. Factory pays for repair and if it’s wrong, then the dealer is on the hook. Seen it lots of times, yeah I have goofed a couple of times but I’d like to think it’s rare.

Flat rate shops make this problem more prevalent, and the use of “medications” that sped up your metabolism. Only one dealership I worked at had a pre employment drug test. Even then, you could be “clean” for your test and then...

I’ll step down off my soap box now.

And to add: usually parts are required to be returned. If it tests good, dealer is charged for the part and labor is denied, BEFORE the warranty claim is paid.
No! That wasn't directed towards you! I would like to apologise to you!!!!
From reading this forum you are a dying breed that still has pride in his workmanship & willing to do what it takes to do it right the 1st time.
You deserve a great big ATTABOY!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling