Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2020, 04:07 AM   #1
NJCamper20

5th wheel hitches

I’ve read alot on 5th Wheel hitches and while I see the jury is out between using Andersen or traditional or goosebox people each love them. Question for those who have had a few - any of them tow better?

Just picked up my first 5er - Avalanche 378BH and trying to figure out my hitch situation.
NJCamper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:16 AM   #2
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCamper20 View Post
I’ve read alot on 5th Wheel hitches and while I see the jury is out between using Andersen or traditional or goosebox people each love them. Question for those who have had a few - any of them tow better?

Just picked up my first 5er - Avalanche 378BH and trying to figure out my hitch situation.
Might as well start an "oil thread" since you will be getting opinions of what users have and generally they will like whatever decision they made. That said I have a B&W Companion with the Ram puck mount 25K. Very solid, made in USA, easy to use but heavy. Get enough truck and that's a non issue. Several years ago I had a Reese 16K slider mounted on rails and hated out. Clunky, noisy, not as easy to use. Did I mention I hated it? I got rid of the sider base and that helped but still didn't like it.

If you don't have the puck mounting system in your truck, B&W has the "Turn over ball" under-bed mount, which uses a single "pin" hitch mount. Also very easy to use but B&W are heavy because they are solid and well built.

EDIT you are also going to get a lot of questions about what truck you have and that will start a huge discussion of whether you have "enough" truck for the job. Just be prepared for that.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:55 PM   #3
JSisemoreTX

We just upgraded to 2020 Avalanche 396bh.

Tow with a 2017 F-350 DRW (14000 GVWR). 8 ft bed.

I am going with B&W Companion after much reaearch. Best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210122_135908.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	31676  
JSisemoreTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:15 AM   #4
jamtracy

That is what we use with our 2019 396 and love it.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
jamtracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCamper20 View Post

We started out with an auto slider 7 years ago. It was a good hitch but since we had to be almost dead on to hook up and unhook we didn’t care for it.
We bought a truck with an 8’ bed and purchased a 20K Curt hitch. That is what we used for the next 5 years.
We bought a new GMC Dually with the puck system and went to a B&W companion. This by far has been the better hitch of all 3. This is what I believe their second generation model as other people told me they were big, heavy and chunky. It is has a pretty small footprint to me. The trailer rides smoother than it ever has.
I have no experience with Anderson but I do with 3 other popular hitches.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, hitch