Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2019, 07:13 AM   #1
Bdep1954

Cable TV issue on 2018 30 ripr

I am struggling to figure out the cable tv hookups in my trailer.
I have no TV connected in the bedroom but do have tv's in the living area and the outside entertainment center.
when I am running off the antenna with the booster on both tv's work fine.
If I connect to the park cable through the jack at the back of the trailer and turn the booster off and tvs set to cable tv I get no channels on either tv.
I know there is a signal on the cable line as it works if I connect it directly to one of the tv's.

Any thoughts from anyone?
Bdep1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #2
travelin texans

Either the connection on the rear has a loose fittting there or at the booster, yes it runs to the booster which acts as splitter for antenna & cable, or you haven't scanned the tv after switching it to "cable". You must scan the channels every time you relocate or change inputs.
We've also found some park cable systems are almost worthless & usually get more channels with better picture quality by using the antenna.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:50 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Did you go to the TV (not trailer) menu and change the settings from OTA to CABLE, then rescan for available channels?

It seems to me that since both TV's have the problem, it's a "settings issue" not a "trailer issue".

On the TV, go to MENU, then to CHANNELS, then to CABLE, then to "RESCAN AVAILABLE CHANNELS". Let us know if that works for you.... GOOD LUCK !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:31 AM   #4
Bdep1954

Re-scans have been done

Thanks but yes I have switched both tv's to cable and then did the rescan for channels and get nothing.

I will check the connections at the back of the trailer where it comes in from the park and at the booster in the bedroom and see what I find.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If you've set up the TV's correctly, then I'd run the campground cable to the outside TV (easier to access and route the cable) and with the direct connection, rescan and see if you have any reception. If you do, then it's in the trailer "somewhere"... If you don't, it's not your trailer but the campground cable distribution system......

I see you've already commented that you did the above... So, next step is verifying the cable from the rear of the trailer to the booster. You know the from the booster to the TV's is working because you have OTA reception over those same cables. It's somewhere between the back of the trailer and the booster connection.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-27-2019, 02:01 AM   #6
Hapycmpr

My situation was exactly like yours, even after the dealer claims to have replaced the cable from the rear connection to the television connection (which I don't trust that they did). I ultimately discovered a loose connector on the end of one of the cables connected to the jumper plate. After I replaced the connector, everything worked as it is supposed to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5385.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	23442

Mark & Cindy
2016 Passport Elite
2018 F350 Lariat
Hapycmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:27 AM   #7
Golf4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdep1954 View Post
I am struggling to figure out the cable tv hookups in my trailer.
I have no TV connected in the bedroom but do have tv's in the living area and the outside entertainment center.
when I am running off the antenna with the booster on both tv's work fine.
If I connect to the park cable through the jack at the back of the trailer and turn the booster off and tvs set to cable tv I get no channels on either tv.
I know there is a signal on the cable line as it works if I connect it directly to one of the tv's.

Any thoughts from anyone?
Turn the booster on. The light on booster has to be on for the cable tv to work.
I had the same problem when I stayed overnight at a KOA and the jack of all trades at the side told me to make sure that the light on the booster was on.
Everything worked after that.
Golf4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:41 AM   #8
travelin texans

The booster must be "off" for cable, "on" for antenna, that's why it's called "antenna booster"! You must switch tv input to cable then do a "channel scan", this has to be done when switching inputs or changing locations.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

This may seem to be a lot of work but if one of the TV sets is fairly small, take it out to the pedestal and connect coax to it directly and plug in at the cable and do a scan. Ensure it isn't cockpit error in this manner. If you have a cable tv in this manner, you can then point your finger at one of the many issues inside the trailer that it might be. Troubleshooting 101... no charge.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:18 AM   #10
flygrimm

Maybe the cable and antenna wires are switched on the back of the booster plate?

Stuart
flygrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #11
Bdep1954

Thanks....this is about the last thing to check so next time I am in a park with cable I will have a look at it.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #12
Old Mustanger

May seem like a dumb question, but are you sure you are connecting to the cable connection and not a satellite connection? My trailer has both, I'm lucky that they are beside each other but I have read that some trailers have them in different locations from each other and the cable connector may be hard to find.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:58 AM   #13
Bdep1954

Good suggestion. My connections are well labelled though and one at the front and the other at the back. I am definitely on the right one.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2020, 05:27 AM   #14
ChuckS

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Well worth the small cost. Takes all the guessing out of the equation.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:30 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdep1954 View Post
Good suggestion. My connections are well labelled though and one at the front and the other at the back. I am definitely on the right one.

Thanks
If the Cable/Satellite connection decals are anything like the Black/Gray valve handle decals, about half are marked wrong. I'm not suggesting that's the case with your cable markings, but even though they're in different areas and "clearly marked" have you tried them to be sure Keystone didn't put the decals in the wrong place ???? It's not like it doesn't happen regularly in both Goshen and Pendleton.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-14-2020, 06:31 AM   #16
Bdep1954

Thanks....I will double check that

Tags
cable